News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The clothing appears Victorian or Edwardian at the latest.

With regards to the apparent lack of TTC, the side street certainly does not have anything. However, the foreground is too short to say with any certainty that the photographer was not standing on the tracks.

But, I would say that if there were tracks, and thus overhead, we would see some wires attached to the pole. I vote for a side-street without streetcars.

Here’s mystery that I’ve been trying to solve for some time with no luck. I think it’s time for fresh eyes. Help me, Spock!

Anyone think they know where this is?

5964338935_14b0ff3054_b.jpg

pictures-r-1221.jpg

Bringing the picture back and also trying to locate this wonderful pictures location.
I seem to get a SE corner looking south orientation to it.

NW corner of Dundas E and Parliament?

Just to clarify, there's no question about the location of the second image. That 1954 image was included only to show that the hydrant at the south-east corner of Dundas & Parliament is an earlier model than that pictured in the first, earlier mystery image.

Just to complete the 1954 view of Dundas and Parliament, the NE corner:

pictures-r-1223.jpg

And in 1947:

dundasparliament1947.jpg

Attachments

• pictures-r-1223.jpg
    pictures-r-1223.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 802
  • dundasparliament1947.jpg
    dundasparliament1947.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
View attachment 21098 From Streetview the old hydrant in the 1954 photo seems to have gone - they are usually never moved around.

Your streetview image is of the NW corner; the hydrant is/was on the SE corner. The old TWW hydrant was recently replaced with a beautiful new Clow-McAvity M67B Brigadier.

It's sad to see the signature TWW hydrants disappearing, but the're pretty much at end-of-life.

DAMM you wwwebster!

You are only "Putting me through these Hoops" because I owe you a breakfast at The Sunday Market!

ROTFLMAO!!!

j t
(Kind regards.)

My nefarious plan has been exposed!! :)

After today I'll be away from this series of tubes. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas/Happy New Year/General Pleasantness. See you in January!

I'm going to guess that the house at 571 is at Dundas and Sackville. The addresses line up perfectly in the modern era, even if the 1924 Goad's maps shows 571 being at the next alley to the east.

The housing type (1 1/2 storey cottage) looks similar to that of others that were in the area. Wallace and St. Clarens simply doesn't fit.

Last edited:
I think you got it. Dundas and Hamilton. The fire hydrant is in the right spot, and the houses down Hamilton look like they could be the same as

I imagine that the house numbers were changed when Dundas was designated right across from Yonge, replacing Wilton.

My nefarious plan has been exposed!! :)

After today I'll be away from this series of tubes. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas/Happy New Year/General Pleasantness. See you in January!

Great, you solve the wwwebster's grand mystery the day after he goes away...

"No 1. The Answer could possibly be found after a peruse of any/all MIGHT's between 1911 & 1920."
QUOTE: J T.

After having taken my own (above) advice and delved into the on-line MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1917:

571 Wilton Avenue, East from 283 Yonge Street, to Boulton Avenue - Wards No 1, 2, & 3.
(S/E corner of Hamilton Street.)

Ward, Mrs Elizabeth. (Widow of Frederick.)

What we my indeed be seeing, is none other than Mrs Elizabeth Ward and at the least, one daughter.

(More digging is required. - Anyone?)

Regards,
J T

I think you got it. Dundas and Hamilton. The fire hydrant is in the right spot, and the houses down Hamilton look like they could be the same as

I imagine that the house numbers were changed when Dundas was designated right across from Yonge, replacing Wilton.

The problem I had, started when I went to look at the 1925 MIGHT'S that had the number 571 at Callan Place, S/W corner!

After taking note of that, I just totally discounted Wilton/Dundas for future study. The only way that I found the Correct

Number was again, looking only for The Number at an either S/E or N/E junction. The 1925 MIGHT'S

shows the correct Dundas/Hamilton juncture as Number 851! (Mrs Elizabeth Ward's home.)

(Believe me, it is Much easier to thumb an original MIGHT's, than to scroll

the on-line version whilst surfing for a street corner number.)

Regards,
J T.

True, that.

The 571 Wilton Avenue address was short-lived.

1913 Goad`s
(but why no house drawn on the lot?)
Elliott.jpg

1911 Canadian Census, 19 Elliott Street
Frederick Ward, carter, age 53, born England, immigated 1888
Elizabeth Ward, wife, age 48, born England, immigated 1888
Frederick Henry, son, age 27, born England, immigrated 1888, no occupation
William, son, age 24 born England, immigrated 1888, musician
Florence, daughter, age 15, born Ontario
Ann, mother, age 73, born England, emigrated 1889

Frederick William Ward, grocer, died Mar 22, 1914, at 1001 Queen Street West, of cirrhosis of the liver :(

1924 Goad`s
Wilton.jpg

1921 Canadian Census, 851 Dundas East
Elizabeth Harriett Ward, widow, age 57(?)
Frederick Henry Ward, single, age 37(?)
Florence Annie Ward, age 25(?), lady clerk

Attachments

• Elliott.jpg
    Elliott.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 730
  • Wilton.jpg
    Wilton.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 660

Back