News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Hong Kong Then and Now and some interesting links. I hope to visit someday.

http://hongwrong.com/old-hong-kong/

I spent four days there two years ago. It was not nearly long enough. I really do need to go back. I must confess to being a little disappointed by the lack of "old". There is a lot of mind bogglingly impressive new of course but they've torn down some treasures such as the old Kowloon Train Station. Only the tower exists now.

TsimShaTsuiStation.jpg
TsimShaTsuiStationClockTower.jpg

All being said, you have to go. It's an incredible place. I got some great photographs and if cost is a factor, try staying at a guest house. I stayed at the Chung King Mansions in the Maple Leaf Guest House for about $35 a night. It's basic accomodations. If you want a window, you might be out of luck! You rent a private washroom, a bed, a TV and AC. For $35, I was not complaining. :)

Attachments

• TsimShaTsuiStation.jpg
    TsimShaTsuiStation.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,007
  • TsimShaTsuiStationClockTower.jpg
    TsimShaTsuiStationClockTower.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 847
Last edited:
It's kind of funny that a black sign in the daytime lights up white at night! I also agree with One Nut Kruk: the alignment does look off.

I work in Pickering and the Pickering Town Centre mall recently changed its sign to a similar black lettering that lights up white at night. Curious about how they achieve that

WHEW!!!

I joined in January but have been lurking since then. I have been in the “Then and Now” thread for over three months, sometimes for three to four hours a night to get caught up.

I am amazed at the knowledge, resourcefulness and pure research skills you all demonstrate here.
I am so glad I found this site! Thank you all. It brings back fond memories of growing up in TO

I am a born and bred Torontonian. I was born at East General but my family quickly moved to the Junction area. I went to Annette Public School, then Humberside Collegiate, then U of T.
We lived on Aziel St. from 1950 to 1967 and I have very pleasant memories of walking to school on Annette Street (nice to see the Sunnybar is still there) and then along Humberside Ave. to HCI. We hated the St. Cecelia’s kids with a passion!

We played on the street till the lights came on during the week and Saturdays were usually biking to High Park (making forts) or riding across the city into Scarborough (we called it Scarberia!)
In the winter we took the TTC wherever we wished to go (no fears from our parents, they never knew how far afield we went!!)
We rode across the city on the Bloor line and when the subway opened well.... we were in heaven!
Centre Island was a great place to visit while listening to “Summer in the City’ by the ‘Lovin’ Spoonfull’ at full blast (early boom boxes!)

When we were out for a ride with my Dad, we would always stop at the “Rondun Tavern” on Roncesvalles where he had a beer or two (?) and we got a Tootsie Roll for sitting in the car and being “good” – would surely be frowned upon now!!

Any body got any pics of the Rondun or “Minnies Pool???? This was a private swimming pool open to the public just north of Bloor St, west of High Park Ave. in the Gothic, Quebec, Bloor, Parkview Gardens block (IIRC, it was the early 50's!) The pool was lost when the subway went through. The owner Minnie (?) would throw all the day’s change into the pool at the end of the day and all the kids would dive in for the money – pandemonium followed!!!

Again, “thanks for the memories” (and pics). I will continue to look in faithfully and will add a story once in a while of growing up in the best city in the world.

John Kanakos, now in London Ontario (but my Mom still lives in Etobicoke!))
I just joined yesterday.. My name is John McCormick and my grandfather Dr. W J McCormick. was the owner/operator of the High Park Mineral Baths. from 1906 to 1964 when the subway expropriated the property. My parents went to Humberside during the war and my mother lived on Clendennon I was born in 1951 at 16 Gothic and grew up in Port Credit. I live in London now and have some old Pool pics but many of them are also found on line ,some I remember seeing before, other,s never before.
The change my grandfather threw in , I spent much of it at the snack bar like everyone else. that,s why he did it. It was a small fraction of the day,s receipts. I remember my grandfather would shoe kids away from me and throw a handful of change towards me and my sister. He had no idea that underwater it was a free for all with the saavy kids swimming underwater towards my location while I was waiting for "my share" change. Like fish in a barrel when you throw in some bait. I had no idea some of it was aimed my way until I was much older and it was explained by my parents. When I was older maybe 10, I had to work there as a locker boy sometimes . that job came with a key to the snack bar. Yeah!!
Remember the mansion on the hill above the retaining wall and sand beach pool area? My GF and his first wife also a Dr. first ran that as a private hospital until her death in 1922. The original pool was for treatment at the spa hospital and was buried under Bloor in 1915 when it was widened. and then they lost the building during the depression in 1929.Parkview was the laneway that went into my grandfathers rear garden when they lived in the mansion . I think the mansion is 32 Gothic and is condos now. Shame is my family home and the pools went to the city the whole works for $90,000 in 64/5.
Did you ever see the cannon half buried the soil along the path at the top edge of the retaining wall? I was told it was dug up during the excavations for the pool or wall. It,s now at Ft Henry and I always believed it was there from the war of 1812. No proof though.
another interesting fact Marilyn Bell used to train there in the colder pool. The one without the diving tower.
My grandfather passed in 1968 and GM in 1979. my father about 5 ys ago but my 85 yr old mother is living in Guelph today.

Last edited:
I remember that pic in my grandfather stuff. I think that,s the rounded pool that is captioned as on the north side of Bloor. the fountain is for the artesian well which provided the original "mineral water " .That pool actually was buried under Bloor when Bloor was widened between maybe 1911.and 1915. There was quite a lot of fill used to bring Bloor up between Parkview and Clendennon. There is still a deep ravine on the Park side of Bloor, there. I remember the ravine behind and to the east of a Supertest station along there on the south side of Bloor. there is a creek that feeds into Grenadier pond from a culvert under Bloor. It used to be at grade before the filling.
The 2 rectangular pools everyone remembers were built to replace this one. Perhaps one first before there were two. But I only ever remember 2. Those two were on the N side of Bloor behind the buildings that front on Bloor today.
Parkview Gardens was a lane between the back of those buildings and the pools by then. It originally led to my GFs back garden
I recall my garandfather telling me something about pumps that couldn,t be repaired during WW1 and they were still in the pump room of the rectangular pools during the 50's. The pools switched to city water after WW1. My GF closed his private hospital after his wife died in 1922 . He operated the pools during the summer and had a small private medical practice out of 16 Gothic in the winter and did a lot of early vitamin C therapy /research from there.

Last edited:
I spent four days there two years ago. It was not nearly long enough. I really do need to go back. I must confess to being a little disappointed by the lack of "old". There is a lot of mind bogglingly impressive new of course but they've torn down some treasures such as the old Kowloon Train Station. Only the tower exists now.

View attachment 20812View attachment 20813

All being said, you have to go. It's an incredible place. I got some great photographs and if cost is a factor, try staying at a guest house. I stayed at the Chung King Mansions in the Maple Leaf Guest House for about $35 a night. It's basic accomodations. If you want a window, you might be out of luck! You rent a private washroom, a bed, a TV and AC. For $35, I was not complaining. :)

Filed. Thanks for the rec dbailey62. :) Nice then and Now.

I just joined yesterday.. My name is John McCormick and my grandfather Dr. W J McCormick. was the owner/operator of the High Park Mineral Baths. from 1906 to 1964 when the subway expropriated the property. My parents went to Humberside during the war and my mother lived on Clendennon I was born in 1951 at 16 Gothic and grew up in Port Credit. I live in London now and have some old Pool pics but many of them are also found on line ,some I remember seeing before, other,s never before.
The change my grandfather threw in , I spent much of it at the snack bar like everyone else. that,s why he did it. It was a small fraction of the day,s receipts. I remember my grandfather would shoe kids away from me and throw a handful of change towards me and my sister. He had no idea that underwater it was a free for all with the saavy kids swimming underwater towards my location while I was waiting for "my share" change. Like fish in a barrel when you throw in some bait. I had no idea some of it was aimed my way until I was much older and it was explained by my parents. When I was older maybe 10, I had to work there as a locker boy sometimes . that job came with a key to the snack bar. Yeah!!
Remember the mansion on the hill above the retaining wall and sand beach pool area? My GF and his first wife also a Dr. first ran that as a private hospital until her death in 1922. The original pool was for treatment at the spa hospital and was buried under Bloor in 1915 when it was widened. and then they lost the building during the depression in 1929.Parkview was the laneway that went into my grandfathers rear garden when they lived in the mansion . I think the mansion is 32 Gothic and is condos now. Shame is my family home and the pools went to the city the whole works for $90,000 in 64/5.
Did you ever see the cannon half buried the soil along the path at the top edge of the retaining wall? I was told it was dug up during the excavations for the pool or wall. It,s now at Ft Henry and I always believed it was there from the war of 1812. No proof though.
another interesting fact Marilyn Bell used to train there in the colder pool. The one without the diving tower.
My grandfather passed in 1968 and GM in 1979. my father about 5 ys ago but my 85 yr old mother is living in Guelph today.

johnsjmc,

Heya and Welcome,

I don't know about the others here, but I got a terrific big kick out of reading this. It's seldom we get a perspective about a Then from someone who was there.

Last edited:
Here’s mystery that I’ve been trying to solve for some time with no luck. I think it’s time for fresh eyes. Help me, Spock!

As you can see below, this photo is identified as being at Dundas & Parliament, and since the address numbers are odd, in theory that would make it the southeast corner. However, I’ve checked all available sources, and as far as I can determine the building on that corner was never numbered 571 (Beech, Wilton or Dundas), nor was the building at the northeast corner ever 571 Parliament. Additionally, the hydrant on the right is a more recent model than is pictured at the southeast corner of Dundas & Parliament in a photo dated 1954, which follows the first image.

It must be another intersection, but I haven’t been able to figure out where.

The street might be running east from Yonge, as the house to the left is numbered 573. More likely it’s the east side of a north/south street.

Anyone think they know where this is?

5964338935_14b0ff3054_b.jpg

pictures-r-1221.jpg

Though they might have been edited out (pre-Photoshop) I think the photo shows no streetcar wires or rails on either street. Both Parliament and Dundas had/have streetcars so it may be neither and possibly the corner of two of the smaller streets in that area??? Perhaps in what became Regent Park?

What's the context of the photo? A family photo stapled into an album? Do you know who the people are? Could I look them up in the 1921 census?

Here’s mystery that I’ve been trying to solve for some time with no luck. I think it’s time for fresh eyes. Help me, Spock!

As you can see below, this photo is identified as being at Dundas & Parliament, and since the address numbers are odd, in theory that would make it the southeast corner. However, I’ve checked all available sources, and as far as I can determine the building on that corner was never numbered 571 (Beech, Wilton or Dundas), nor was the building at the northeast corner ever 571 Parliament. Additionally, the hydrant on the right is a more recent model than is pictured at the southeast corner of Dundas & Parliament in a photo dated 1954, which follows the first image.

It must be another intersection, but I haven’t been able to figure out where.

The street might be running east from Yonge, as the house to the left is numbered 573. More likely it’s the east side of a north/south street.

Anyone think they know where this is?

5964338935_14b0ff3054_b.jpg

Heya,

This is ostensibly a Then and Now but it's really about a clock.

Clocks used to be common street architecture accessories; as part of jewellers signage perhaps, or outside a bank.

There was/is something civic minded about providing a public clock.

Nowadays, public 'clocks' if you can call them that; are usually part of a electronic information 'banner' - think of the 'CP24 news' on the subway platform monitors.

There is something soothing about knowing the time, because we value time; it's something that can be saved but not stored. :)

The instrument known as a public clock can become a familiar friend; I know that when my eyes alight on the CP24 channel, I first check the time, then the weather, and only then the news. I have this gift.

I had one of these familiar friends as a youngster; but it was a friend in need of help. Starting in grade one [1962 or so] I would be allowed to walk alone to John Fisher Public school. My route took me past the still stunning former Consumers Gas Showroom [1930] on the SW corner of Yonge and St. Clements. At the top of the building was a broken clock. Always forlorn, in the way that only a broken clock can symbolize its owner's other priorities.

This clock would stay broken for the decades to come.

So, in a spin around the old neighbourhood last night, in walking past the recently spruced and tenanted Consumers Gas Showroom, I noticed the clock at the top was lit up and showing the correct time.

Welcome back Old Friend. :)

Last night. Did I mention that?

PC124596_zps008b340a.jpg

Back in the day. Not my school days of course...

pictures-r-4793_zps9bdf1c4c.jpg

Nice article about the buildings history here; including some real estate concerns:

http://www.thegridto.com/life/real-estate/know-vacancy-2532-yonge-st/

A link to a hobbyist's page of the manufacturer of the original clock:

http://telechron.net/main.htm

Heeee-y. Then and Now Maps of some American cities. You can use your cursor to move the interactive 'Then' view disc around. Try it and see.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...-and-After-Look-at-Americas-Great-Cities.html

That's the coolest building along that stretch of Yonge. Here are some more photos of it:

pictures-r-4791.jpg

Photo: Toronto Public Library

4242508108_5e512c2986_b.jpg

Photo: michaelTO

2532-Yonge-St-Toronto-4961.jpg

Photo: Bill Pusztai

consumers-clock.jpg

Photo: seamsartless.com

Hey, John! We should get together to reminisce!!
Email me at johnkana at fc.amdsb.ca

Back