News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Keep in mind, too, that the darkness of the buildings in some of those old photos is "jazzed up" by lighting/photographic conditions...

Following Mustapha's lead let's move a little bit further South on Yonge St. The old Simpson's building at Queen St. taken over by the Bay several years ago have just had their distintive "B" signs removed and replaced with the new, slick (upscale) Hudson's Bay signs. I've included a few for posterity. The most interesting one is on the South side of the roof. When they removed the old Bay sign there is still the outline of the old Simpson's sign. Down at the bottom of the pic is the new HB sign at the corner of Yonge & Richmond. These pics taken from 151 Yonge St.
Stephen MacDonald
Bay store, Queen & Yonge, old Simpson and Bay signs, 11 16 2013.jpg
Bay store, Queen & Yonge 3 signs, 11 16 2013.jpg
Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign 11 19 2013 daytime.jpg
Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign daytime, 11 16 2013.jpg
Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign, 11 16 2013 daytime 2.jpg
Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign, 11 29 2013 nightime.jpg

Attachments

• Bay store, Queen & Yonge, old Simpson and Bay signs, 11 16 2013.jpg
    Bay store, Queen & Yonge, old Simpson and Bay signs, 11 16 2013.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 892
  • Bay store, Queen & Yonge 3 signs, 11 16 2013.jpg
    Bay store, Queen & Yonge 3 signs, 11 16 2013.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 879
  • Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign 11 19 2013 daytime.jpg
    Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign 11 19 2013 daytime.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 873
  • Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign daytime, 11 16 2013.jpg
    Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign daytime, 11 16 2013.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 904
  • Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign, 11 16 2013 daytime 2.jpg
    Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign, 11 16 2013 daytime 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 846
  • Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign, 11 29 2013 nightime.jpg
    Bay store, Queen & Yonge, new HB sign, 11 29 2013 nightime.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 872

Not to digress too much but what a fascinating - and short-lived -era that was.

Used to have this poster at home:

http://www.urbannebula.nl/media/image/small/1925_Allan_Harker_KLM_in_Beeld_30.jpg

and it always seemed somewhat improbable that the interior was so train-like with the big windows and luggage racks.

And this!
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/197no3wzaeuchjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Talk about your milk run, although the creature comforts were probably comparable to (much faster) long-haul flights now. Longest flight I was ever on, circa 1983, was Amsterdam-Athens-Dubai (I think)-Karachi-Bangkok-Kuala Lumpur (final destination was Jakarta). Slept on the floor.

Following Mustapha's lead let's move a little bit further South on Yonge St. The old Simpson's building at Queen St. taken over by the Bay several years ago have just had their distintive "B" signs removed and replaced with the new, slick (upscale) Hudson's Bay signs. I've included a few for posterity. The most interesting one is on the South side of the roof. When they removed the old Bay sign there is still the outline of the old Simpson's sign. Down at the bottom of the pic is the new HB sign at the corner of Yonge & Richmond. These pics taken from 151 Yonge St.
Stephen MacDonald
View attachment 20600View attachment 20601View attachment 20602View attachment 20603View attachment 20604View attachment 20605

A newly uncovered Ghost Sign -thank you bigmac1x!

And don't forget folks... there are frosted panes of glass on the second floor that we can see in these pictures - if you get up close you can admire the stylized 'S' [for Simpsons] in the centre. These can be seen from a few places inside the store as well as from street level.

Last edited:
The alignment of those new signs looks awkward. The one on the left would look better if it were closer to the corner of the building; like its counterpart. It's not even centered above the two sets of windows it spans across.

Not to digress too much but what a fascinating - and short-lived -era that was.

Used to have this poster at home:

http://www.urbannebula.nl/media/image/small/1925_Allan_Harker_KLM_in_Beeld_30.jpg

and it always seemed somewhat improbable that the interior was so train-like with the big windows and luggage racks.

And this!
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/197no3wzaeuchjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Talk about your milk run, although the creature comforts were probably comparable to (much faster) long-haul flights now. Longest flight I was ever on, circa 1983, was Amsterdam-Athens-Dubai (I think)-Karachi-Bangkok-Kuala Lumpur (final destination was Jakarta). Slept on the floor.

I think I'll use your digress as a result of my digress to digress again. :)

bigmac1x's post reminds me of the retail establishments that come and go through our collective Toronto history.

In a way, these memories relate more to me than 'bricks and mortar' Then and Nows; firstly, because we have first hand experience; secondly, we may still have tangible evidence such as goods and merchandise in our lives that we may yet be using.

The 'Save More' store at Queen and Jarvis shuttered recently. I think one would be hard pressed to find a handful of its contemporaries in our downtown.

I have a 15 year old peacoat from there that I wear on occasion. Adding to it's charm is the fact that the coat was probably quite old when I bought it - it's made in Canada. Save More also appealed to the Walter Mitty in me... one could buy all sorts of military issued and inspired gear there; like the evil stealthy looking black cased watch and compass here.

Alas, Save More is no more.

PC054583_zps0ff561b8.jpg

Last edited:

Back