News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 958     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Kingston Rd, radial line

Thank you Goldie. That's quite a change. And,.. your left map shows a 'Abandoned T & Y Railway'. I don't expect to have everything handed to me on a plate but I'm also having trouble locating even a segment of that one.

That would be the "Abandoned T&Y radial" line - not railway - wouldn't it?
The line that went along Kingston Rd. from Birchmount to West Hill (see attachment) ?

Attachments

• s0071_it1612.jpg
    s0071_it1612.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 246
Any chance anybody has any images of Gerrard & Jones? Some recent development up that way.

This explains the old embankments on Sewels Rd just below steeles.
It may also explain a funni looking spot on Taunton Rd. just west of Brock in Pickering. I will try to look at that on the way home after work, and maybe get a photo of it.

My knowledgeable consultant, Charles Cooper, sent me this note after seeing the above comment:

"The gentleman who thinks he has seen an embankment north of Taunton Road should not necessarily conclude that it was the CNoR's - there was also the Toronto Eastern Railway that built out east as an electric line but the work was interrrupted by WWI and the line was never completed."

The tracking (pardon for pun?) of old rail lines around metro could be a full time endeavour.

Then and Now for Feb 14.

Then. Bloor and Lippincott, SW corner, c1918. 'Branch of Canadian Bank of Commerce. V.D. Horsburgh, F.R.I.B.A., Architect'.

404BloorLippincottSWc1918.jpg

Now. September 2011.

405.jpg

"The coffee they're serving today was probably there in 1984."
QUOTE Browning Avenue.

And, no Coca-Cola; just pepsi!
(No thanks. I'll just take as glass of (Toronto City) water.)

Regards,
J T

I believe the CNoR line existed from about 1909 to 1926.
It began in the Don Valley, near the Leaside Bridge and continued through Scarborough, Whitby, Oshawa, Port Hope on the way to Ottawa.
The abandoned right-of-way is still evident in many places along the route, especially thru built-up areas of Scarborough.
I'm indebted to a fine railroad buff, Charles Cooper, for much of this information.

This pair of photos show the abandoned CNoR bridge over Morningside and the recent alteration to the roadway. When taken in 2002, I didn't know it was part of the CNoR line.

The attached map shows the spot where the new homes are located on Ellesmere (It's a detail from the larger map).

zTNMorningsiderailroadbridge-1.jpg
Since it is mentioned the CNoR went through Port Hope, lets look at the station there (if I can get images to work!)

railway4_800.jpg

The station is still sort of there as part of the MTO buildings.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=r6e&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&q=hope%20street%20port%20hope&biw=1600&bih=770&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl I hope that works.

Street View:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=r6e&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&q=hope%20street%20port%20hope&biw=1600&bih=770&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I am from Port Hope. There are still the bottom of the concrete pilons in the river from the bridge.

"The coffee they're serving today was probably there in 1984."
QUOTE Browning Avenue.

And, no Coca-Cola; just pepsi!
(No thanks. I'll just take as glass of (Toronto City) water.)

Regards,
J T

I actually worked (bused) at Fran's St. Clair Ave, one night, four and a half hours. That would have been 1980 give or take a year. The things I saw in those few hours would curl your toes! I had to buy new Black dress pants and white shirt to wear. I never returned, not even to pick up my pay.

I actually worked (bused) at Fran's St. Clair Ave, one night, four and a half hours. That would have been 1980 give or take a year. The things I saw in those few hours would curl your toes! I had to buy new Black dress pants and white shirt to wear. I never returned, not even to pick up my pay.

Oh, come ON, you cannot stop THERE! :) Sounds like a coming of age movie or something... four and a half hours; you could almost do it in real time. Dude, dish... you must have a great story here. :)

Oh, come ON, you cannot stop THERE! :) Sounds like a coming of age movie or something... four and a half hours; you could almost do it in real time. Dude, dish... you must have a great story here. :)

Lets just say they would not have received a green pass card for the window then.
I was sternly warned against touching the tips left on the tables. Most of the tables were propped up with ashtrays to keep em level. The long narrow stairs to the basement were a treat as was the employee lunchroom. The one cook seemed to have some "pets" climbing the walls around his station.
At least I had a good meal out of it. Employees could order anything from the menu "except pie"!
All in all it was a great experience for a fairly naive 16 YO, one I have never forgotten.

Employees could order anything from the menu "except pie"!
All in all it was a great experience for a fairly naive 16 YO, one I have never forgotten.

They ever explain the "except pie" proviso? :)

I once worked as a dishwasher in a place in Mississauga... I lasted about a week. Aside from brawls in the parking lot, being expected to clean the urinals barehanded, and going home at 1 a.m. requested to be back at 6 a.m., the straw that broke the camel's back for me was watching a guy I worked with, reputedly a coke-sniffer, lean over a garbage can with one nostril pressed shut, bleeding out the other like a faucet with no washer. I was still in high school and all that was waaaaay outside my sheltered little league. Still is! That was my last day. :D

I thought knowing about the Belt Line put me in an exclusive group. :)

My acquaintance, Mr. Cooper, sent me this note when he read the key words, "Belt Line":

"Another curiosity is the one referred to by one of your correspondents - The Toronto Belt Line.
It only operated for two years from 1892 to 1894.
It had an eastern and a western section.
The bridge over the subway at Davisville was part of it, and that section of the Belt Line remained in service so that the red Gloucester subway cars could be delivered to the Davisville yards.
Not to be confused with the onetime TTC Belt Line.
This was a steam railway and the fare was a nickel a station.
Way ahead of its time.
I don't know whether you remember a track across the Bayview Expressway near the brick works - that was part of the alignment as the line descended down through Moore Park. The right-of-way there is a bicycle trail now."

Charles Cooper recommends this site to those who wish to learn more of the Belt Line:

http://www.trha.ca/beltline.html

Back