1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 923     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 357     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Charles Sauriol's cottage on the Don

goldie, the picture on the right seems to have been cut off

do you have a higher resolution of it? may i ask where you got it from?

i'm curious because it seems that it shows charles sauriol's cottage...

Not "cut off" on my monitor!

Yes, a higher resolution featuring the cottages is attached here.
My dear friend, George Dunbar, made the image around 1950.

Yes indeed, it does include Charles Sauriol's cottage.

Attachments

• Charles Sauriol cottage-Don Mills © 1950 George Dunbar.jpg
    Charles Sauriol cottage-Don Mills © 1950 George Dunbar.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 347

Yes, a higher resolution featuring the cottages is attached here.
My dear friend, George Dunbar, made the image around 1950.

Yes indeed, it does include Charles Sauriol's cottage.

Spectacular; what a rare view. You can even glimpse the bridge preceding the Bailey bridge over the tracks. Come to think of it, why was that bridge removed and replaced in the first place?

not to worry, i found a way to display it all

i note that your higher res is only a portion of the photo (most of the river is missing) but no matter, it did locate the cottage

of even more interest, however, is the location from which the photo was taken -- Tumper's Hill, which was levelled when the dvp was built

a rare photo, indeed

:)

Thank you wwwebster for your comprehensive corset manufacturing history. Who knew such an industry established so early and thrived so long in Toronto's history? And we now know something of the science behind their manufacture too. We are only missing what they felt like to wear. :)

Goldie, that strip of abandoned asphalt will become a touchstone to early Don Valley history because of your having shown this fascinating Then and Now comparison here. Please pass along our best wishes to your friend Mr. Dunbar.

Then and Now for Feb 21.

Then. Imperial Bank of Canada. NW corner of Danforth and Monarch Park. c1919. Our little gem looks a little like a temporary building.

410DanforthMonarchParkNWc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011. I was right. :)

411.jpg

Love the brick work on the little gem. Flemish Bond. And laid up by someone who knew what they were doing!

not to worry, i found a way to display it all

i note that your higher res is only a portion of the photo (most of the river is missing) but no matter, it did locate the cottage

of even more interest, however, is the location from which the photo was taken -- Tumper's Hill, which was levelled when the dvp was built

a rare photo, indeed

:)

Sugar Loaf Hill was another hill bulldozed out of existence.

Picture too,.. scroll down a bit:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=CLT...=onepage&q=sugar loaf hill don valley&f=false

"And laid up by someone who knew what they were doing!"
QUOTE barit.

Check out both "The Carpet Factory" & "The Gooderham Building" if you want to see FINE masonry.

Regards,
J T

I actually prefer the original "temporary" Imperial Bank building. Funny how the later "Classical" building, as well as a few others around town, has been taken over by Money Mart - one of the cheesiest, two-bit loan shark operations out there. They invade old bank buildings like a Hermit Crab inhabits disgarded shells.

"They invade old bank buildings like a Hermit Crab"
QUOTE Mississauga Slim.

Either way, they are "money stores".

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for Feb 22.

Then. July 23, 1930. 59 Dundas St. E.

No one here has made mention of those "Laundry" signs that were so common in early Toronto (hint: it's in the middle distance). There were many Chinese laundries in Toronto, all identified with the same generic sign. You would have thought that while the laundry owners were having a sign made up anyways they might have asked the signmaker to add something like "spic and span" or "bright n kleen" but, nope...

I asked my gramps about this when he was still alive and he just shrugged his shoulders. :)

412.jpg

Now. August 2011. We are standing on the S side of Dundas looking W towards Victoria Street.

413.jpg

Then and Now for Feb 22.

Then. July 23, 1930. 59 Dundas St. E.

No one here has made mention of those "Laundry" signs that were so common in early Toronto (hint: it's in the middle distance). There were many Chinese laundries in Toronto, all identified with the same generic sign. You would have thought that while the laundry owners were having a sign made up anyways they might have asked the signmaker to add something like "spic and span" or "bright n kleen" but, nope...

I asked my gramps about this when he was still alive and he just shrugged his shoulders. :)

Re "laundry" signs: these two side-by-side businesses have quite different approaches to the word.
One features it in large letters while the other store (in the same business) completely neglected that word.
Is this an East vs West thing?

Jones-Danforthlaundry1952.jpg

Re "laundry" signs: these two side-by-side businesses have quite different approaches to the word.
One features it in large letters while the other store (in the same business) completely neglected that word.
Is this an East vs West thing?

Jones-Danforthlaundry1952.jpg

Goldie,

Firstly, it's quite cool how you found these two complementing images and spliced them together...

Secondly, yes, I think its an East vs West thing. The 'Easterner' probably thinks all the buzzwords on the signage in his northern neighbour's window is overkill... the 'Easterner' probably thinks: 'hey, it says laundry; what else do they need to know?'

I notice that in the 'A & P' window its says '39c" for shirts. That's over $3. in todays money. Imagine spending $800 a year just to keep in clean shirts. I do my own.

Back