News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for Feb 10. Continuing with our wwwebster sourced pictures of vintage properties, we offer today one from the High Park area.

Then. 'Residence of R.D. Kilgour. Seven High Park Gardens. c1917.'

4007HighParkGardensc1917.jpg

Now. July 2011.

401.jpg

"'Residence of R.D. Kilgour. Seven High Park Gardens."

Is is tile, or is it sheet metal; only their roofer knows for sure.

Regards,
J T

"'Residence of R.D. Kilgour. Seven High Park Gardens."

Is is tile, or is it sheet metal; only their roofer knows for sure.

Regards,
J T

If it's sheet metal, it's a ringer for tile,.. I like your allusion to the ancient advertising catch phrase: 'only her hairdresser knows for sure.' :)

By the way, although most Then and Now picture takers like to line up the two scenes exactly, I won't if too much greenery is in the way. In this instance this was the best possible shot.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1918:

KILGOUR, Robt D
7 High Park Gdns.
(Pres of) Davenport Co Ltd. (Kilgour Davenport Co Ltd - lumber.)
44 Osler Ave.

Regards,
J T

Hi
I'm new to the site, but have browsed many times and really enjoy all the old photos and seeing the changes in the great city.
Originally from Ontario, I now live in Newfoundland. I have collected alot of photos showing the changes in St. John's, because of the fires here, there have been many.
Whenever I visit Toronto, three buildings always catch my attention. Union Station, Royal York and Maple Leaf Gardens.
Are there pictures of those buildings under construction? I have seen a few of the Gardens, but it always seems to be of the same two or three that are in books.
Would love to see photos of them from the ground up. I still can't believe MLG was done in 6 months. What a great testement to those men.
Thank you

Hi
I'm new to the site, but have browsed many times and really enjoy all the old photos and seeing the changes in the great city.
Originally from Ontario, I now live in Newfoundland. I have collected alot of photos showing the changes in St. John's, because of the fires here, there have been many.
Whenever I visit Toronto, three buildings always catch my attention. Union Station, Royal York and Maple Leaf Gardens.
Are there pictures of those buildings under construction? I have seen a few of the Gardens, but it always seems to be of the same two or three that are in books.
Would love to see photos of them from the ground up. I still can't believe MLG was done in 6 months. What a great testement to those men.
Thank you

Heya Newf, and welcome. Union Station under construction? Coming right up.

http://www.toronto.ca/union_station/gallery1.htm

Every time someone mentions Union Station and The Royal York in the same sentence I'm reminded of the wonderful c1927 pedestrian tunnel between the two. It's still in use and just a great vintage space.

Thanks JT and wwwebster for looking up that info about the Kilgour House and it's owner.

I would love to able to see the inside of that place today

Look carefully at Olympia/World's Biggest (in person, not in those photos), and you'll see Moderne reliefs that are effectively abstractions of bowling balls...

Well, it's been almost 3 years since adma posted these words, and I now have a picture for you all. Thanks for your patience. :) And thanks to adma.

For more about The Worlds Biggest Bookstore/the former Olympia Bowling, see page 43 and 44 of this thread.

DSC_0052.jpg

Every time someone mentions Union Station and The Royal York in the same sentence I'm reminded of the wonderful c1927 pedestrian tunnel between the two. It's still in use and just a great vintage space.

Thank you Mustapha. Great pictures. What a difference in the area when you look at the pic of the old Union Station.
Never been in the tunnel, but now that I know about it I will look into it my next visit.
Thanks again

I learn something every day. I've been through that tunnel many times and never given it a second thought....

Back