News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The Robertson Motors, body under concrete find?
I believe they solved that cold case. IIRC it was the husband!

What surprises me is how little there is written up about it. You'd think a quirky case like that would have attracted a lot more attention. Imagine what it must have been like for the folks who worked in that building knowing that every day, just under their feet... geez. Amazing that they could put down a building like that and miss the skeleton, but actually find it when they're tearing the place up. Funny old world.

Ambrose Small is probably out there somewhere too.

It makes you wonder what prestigious building he might be under, doesn't it? Nearly romantic, after all this time... :)

Then and Now for Feb 3.

Then. 249 Simcoe street. c1917. "View from Simcoe street. Garage, Automobile and Supply Co. Ltd."

394249SimcoeStc1917.jpg

Now. June 2011.

395.jpg

The Robertson Motors, body under concrete find?
I believe they solved that cold case. IIRC it was the husband!

According to a contemporary NY Times article, the bodies were found under 15 St. Vincent Street, which would have placed them under Murano:

nytimes.jpg

s0372_ss0003_it0107a.jpg

According to a contemporary NY Times article, the bodies were found under 15 St. Vincent Street...

Gotta be a typo. FWIW, I’m sticking with 16, with supporting evidence in the mentions of Ryves (the next-door neighbour at 18) and Armbrust (the subsequent tenants of 16):

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

1895 Directory:

tcd_1895-r-309.gif

1896 Directory:

tcd_1896-r-291.gif

"an old Scotchman named Thomas William Ryves"
QUOTE from the book.

How did they know he was a "Scotchman"; did he have a bottle in his hand?

Regards,
J T

Gotta be a typo. FWIW, I’m sticking with 16, with supporting evidence in the mentions of Ryves (the next-door neighbour at 18) and Armbrust (the subsequent tenants of 16):

Your evidence is overwhelming, Barrister Wwwebster. I'm just having trouble getting my head around the idea of the NY Times making a typo.

Then and Now for Feb 6.

A multiple picture extravaganza. Did you know that the word is derived from the Italian stravaganza? Did you know that the study of word origins is called etymology? Did you realize I am keeping you from retiring at a decent hour? :)

Then 1926.

So, there was a level rail (Grand Trunk Railway, now CN) crossing at Queen and Degrassi streets at one time.

There was also a rail station - 'Riverdale' - that served this area.. it was located within the present Bruce Mackey Park. That this was a 'suburban' station at the time is now a quaint thought in the present day.

A number of accidents at this and other level crossing locations led the City and rail authorities into a program of eliminating them.

The following pictures depict in our customary Then and Now format the progress of construction. The Now pictures were taken in June 2011.

Let me take a moment to reflect on how the Toronto Archives, and in particular their online facility - probably one of the best in the world - has made this thread and others like it in cyberspace possible.

379s0372_ss0079_it0601.jpg

380.jpg

381f1231_it1411.jpg

382.jpg

383s0372_ss0079_it0091.jpg

384.jpg

385f1231_it1100.jpg

386.jpg

387s0372_ss0079_it0294.jpg

388.jpg

389.jpg

390.jpg

Finally, our last picture.. a Then picture that shows the overall 'big picture'. I regret I was unable to climb to the top of the present day embankment to take a Now picture.. the fences were rather daunting. Note the old alignment in front of Riverdale station.
391.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics. I did not know that there was a Riverdale Station. I certainly was aware of Don, Parkdale, Davenport, East Toronto, West Toronto and Sunnyside as inner city stations, but not Riverdale. First time I've seen pictures of that sort.

"was aware of Don, Parkdale, Davenport, East Toronto, West Toronto and Sunnyside"
QUOTE ShonTron.

There were two West Toronto Stations, one on the west side of the Line, with the other being on

the east side but farther to the north.

Regards,
J T

Great pics. I did not know that there was a Riverdale Station. I certainly was aware of Don, Parkdale, Davenport, East Toronto, West Toronto and Sunnyside as inner city stations, but not Riverdale. First time I've seen pictures of that sort.

Thank you Shontron.

I'll try to get around to doing the others too. :)

DSC_0038.jpg

I'm catching up on the thread this weekend so I'm a little behind! My parents went here when they were dating, I was first there when I was still in diapers, we celebrated family events there over the decades - what an amazing post brewster, a huge belated thank you! The Bo-Peep Restaurant is on Kingston Road about a mile west of Midland Avenue.

Then and Now for Feb 7.

Then. 'York Theatre.' 812-816 Yonge. c1916. This was located on the west side, just above Bloor. The movie 'The Express Car Mystery' is playing within. This was released in 1913.

812-816Yongec1915YorkTheatre.jpg

Now. June 2011.

DSC_3866.jpg

Back