News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for Feb 8 is a link to some wonderful photographs of 1950s New York:

http://www.franklarsonphotos.com/

I'm organizing my online photos and getting ready to head out for another season of picture taking as soon as the weather is warm enough/bearable for spending several hours at a time outside on weekends. Hence the 'cop out' for tonight. I could do this administrative work on weekends but even my weekends have been busy lately. Yes, yes, I know that these are New York, not Toronto pictures, but they are wonderful pictures that capture the feeling of a time and evoke our emotions no matter their location.

I'm organizing my online photos and getting ready to head out for another season of picture taking as soon as the weather is warm enough/bearable for spending several hours at a time outside on weekends. Hence the 'cop out' for tonight.
Do you dare to call yourself Canadian?? :)

Do you dare to call yourself Canadian?? :)

A soft Canadian. I went ice fishing once; out in the open. What a terror that was. :)

Hee-y,... I'm glad everyone liked the Frank Larson link. I'm reminded that our Goldie posted awhile back in this forum some pictures he took of an art show in front of the long gone Four Seasons on Jarvis street. Those were really cool. Street photography is neat to look at, and vintage images in this genre all the more so.

Hee-y,... I'm glad everyone liked the Frank Larson link. I'm reminded that our Goldie posted awhile back in this forum some pictures he took of an art show in front of the long gone Four Seasons on Jarvis street. Those were really cool. Street photography is neat to look at, and vintage images in this genre all the more so.

Thank you for that kind reference, Mustapha.
You've prompted me to search out some of my other old "street" photography.
These are from the 1970s or earlier.

I also want to take this opportunity to recommend a wonderful 1960s book of Toronto by photographer Henri Rossier, The New City.
Unfortunately it's only available at the Reference Library, but contains great candid images of the city and its people.

The joy of youth:

3boysstreetgo-cartweb.jpg

Dedication:

JehovahsWitnessesweb.jpg

Secret meeting:

shadows-76web.jpg

City square, Lima, Peru:

citysquareinLimaweb.jpg

Thank you for that kind reference, Mustapha.
You've prompted me to search out some of my other old "street" photography.
These are from the 1970s or earlier.

I also want to take this opportunity to recommend a wonderful 1960s book of Toronto by photographer Henri Rossier, The New City.
Unfortunately it's only available at the Reference Library, but contains great candid images of the city and its people.

The joy of youth:

Dedication:

JehovahsWitnessesweb.jpg

Secret meeting:

shadows-76web.jpg

City square, Lima, Peru:

citysquareinLimaweb.jpg

Good grief Goldie. You need to get an exhibition going.

Then and Now for Feb 9.

Then. Chapman & Walker Building. 118-120 Richmond Street W. c1914.

118-120RichmondWestc1914.jpg

Now. July 2011. The Sheraton Hotel complex took over most of this block in the the early 70s.

DSC_3867.jpg

Quite startling to see beautiful architecture change into a concrete wall, right before our eyes!

The joy of youth:

Joyful so long as you're on a level street! When I was four I went with my folks to visit some of their friends who lived on a hill. Their kids, a little older than me, took me out in their wagon, put the handle in my hands, and gave me "joy" of rolling down the hill to the T-junction at the end of the street. Given that was nearly 40 years ago and I still remember it, you can imagine the impression it made. :)

"Fortunately", if I can phrase it that way, I flipped out first and turned the handle wide enough that I upset the wagon and hit the sidewalk before I careened out into the street at the bottom of the hill. I'm still faintly amazed at how much those kids criticized me for chickening out. I still wonder: did they actually do that kind of thing themselves... and did they make it to puberty?

"Good grief Goldie. You need to get an exhibition going."
"I second that!"
"Calling All Artists"

I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thank you.

Back