381     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The Holmes – Pitezel Case, by Detective Frank P. Geyer, 1896:
FROM wwwebster.

Thank you Sire!

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for Jan 30.

Then. 16 St. Vincent St. c1896. 'Where Holmes murdered Alice and Nellie Pietzle.'

Well, it's been over three years since this thread has been up, and we make our first Then and Now foray into long ago crime. Please don't click on the link if the crime of murder makes you uncomfortable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.H._Holmes

373pitezel4a.jpg

Here's a view of 16 St. Vincent Street in 1921 (prior to the street being demolished for the Terauley Extension (i.e. Bay Street)).

Interesting that the 1896 house was replaced subsequent to the murder, perhaps because of the murder itself.

s0372_ss0003_it0265.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a view of 16 St. Vincent Street in 1921 (prior to the street being demolished for the Terauley Extension (i.e. Bay Street)).

Interesting that the 1896 house was replaced subsequent to the murder, perhaps because of the murder itself.

s0372_ss0003_it0265.jpg

Amazing that no.14 (on the left) coyly appears in both views.

Of course everyone knows that the present Heritage Building was an auto showroom that was built in 1925, right? :)

Then and Now for Feb 1.

Then. "Willard Chocolate Company's Factory." 453 Wellington W. c1919.

377443-453WellingtonWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011. Ah, this one didn't make it.

378.jpg

Last edited:
Re 16 St Vincent Street replacements:

The auto dealers were first

Mc Laughlin Motor Car Company Ltd,

Beattie Cadillac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile Ltd,

Addison Cadillac.

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for Feb 2. A wwwebster pic.

Then. 145 Adelaide W. c1920.

145AdelaideWestc1920.jpg

Now. June 2011. This facade, if it's even a real facade, mystifies me. There is an office building behind it. There are also drapes in only some of the windows, which mystifies me further.

DSC_3877.jpg

Reminds me of that whole "Danforth Lady" thing.

Then and Now for Feb 2. A wwwebster pic.

Then. 145 Adelaide W. c1920.

145AdelaideWestc1920.jpg

Now. June 2011. This facade, if it's even a real facade, mystifies me. There is an office building behind it. There are also drapes in only some of the windows, which mystifies me further.

DSC_3877.jpg

I think this building used to be the home of the "Fisherman's Wharf" restaurant. The restaurant has since moved to Richmond St west of Bay and then this building was redone with this new facade. I don't know for certain but this happened before 2006 as it was already like this by then.

Carswell is now, of course, the legal publishing arm of the mighty Thomson-Reuters information empire (headquartered on Kennedy Road), a spin-off (I believe, Mr. Cunningham may correct me) of Mr. Kenneth Thomson's Globe holdings.

Back