News   May 10, 2024
 134     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 228     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 366     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Several. There's one or two underway on Annette, one completed on Dovercourt south of Bloor, one underway on Ossington north of the CPR, and some others I can't recall.

And keep in mind that the present Orion is a condo transformation of what was originally a 70s Brutalist office building (wasn't it the publishing house for the Financial Times or something?)

Its so good to see this forum coming back in place.

Thanks for everyone's posting - this thread just keeps me reading pages by pages!

I was wondering if I can make a request for some historic picture for the following area (even though I have seen a few from the first few hundred pages)
1) University of Toronto - Downtown St. George campus? I work there now and I would definitely love to see some pic of it in the past.
2) Richmond Hill - Around Yonge / 16th Avenue / Hwy 7 as I grew up in those area.

Cheers

That would have been an interesting building for a condo conversion........

Aren't they doing that to a church in the west end of the city?

Several. There's one or two underway on Annette, one completed on Dovercourt south of Bloor, one underway on Ossington north of the CPR, and some others I can't recall.

There is an 'early' one on Sheldrake - converted in 2001. http://www.jeffreyteam.com/torontolofts/sheldrakelofts.htm

And the former St. James Bond Church on Avenue Road just north of Eglinton was completely razed for a condo - with the new condo having homage/faux church like appurtenances as part of the design.

Last edited:
Its so good to see this forum coming back in place.

Thanks for everyone's posting - this thread just keeps me reading pages by pages!

I was wondering if I can make a request for some historic picture for the following area (even though I have seen a few from the first few hundred pages)
1) University of Toronto - Downtown St. George campus? I work there now and I would definitely love to see some pic of it in the past.
2) Richmond Hill - Around Yonge / 16th Avenue / Hwy 7 as I grew up in those area.

Cheers

Hi Huckebein,

If you go here:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co...04&bCachable=1&MenuName=Public+Keyword+Search

and type 'langstaff' or 'university' into the search engine, you'll get many many results. Feel free to play with it, after all it's your tax dollars at work. :)

Your avatar; that's Donna Reed, right? :)

Last edited:

Absolutely wonderful, Mustapha, that you've revived our memory of "Time Capsules."
I once praised the idea of time capsules in this space. It's a great concept!
They can be marvellous mysteries when opened far in the future.
Lets hope the "Crypt of Civilization," mentioned in your reference, is definitely kept sealed, as planned, until 8113. That's an superb example of "postponed gratification," isn't it?

Anyone doing a home renovation can easily create a time capsule by sealing some artifacts inside a wall, partition or attic.
The excitement that can be anticipated at the time of discovery makes any effort worthwhile.
I've done this myself and hope that my time capsule will remain undiscovered until my home is, one day, demolished.

Attachments

• capsule.jpg
    capsule.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
There is an 'early' one on Sheldrake - converted in 2001. http://www.jeffreyteam.com/torontolofts/sheldrakelofts.htm

And the former St. James Bond Church on Avenue Road just north of Eglinton was completely razed for a condo - with the new condo having homage/faux church like appurtenances as part of the design.

Thanks man, I give this a try.

It is funny you mention Langstaff cause there is a Langstaff Secondary School near by.
Btw, what makes the name Langstaff so special in that area?

Back