News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 422     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Why don't we just think about these kind of buildings like those characters in classic noir films in which the heroine's face (it's usually a heroine) is covered in bandages, which are ultimately removed to reveal the beauty underneath? Unfortunately, we all know that life's not like that....

womans-face-unveiling.png

That siding is hideous, of course, but I'll take it over the EIFS that would no doubt cover the building if it was renoed today. At least there still exists the chance that the metal might come off some day and reveal something of the original.

Why don't we just think about these kind of buildings like those characters in classic noir films in which the heroine's face (it's usually a heroine) is covered in bandages, which are ultimately removed to reveal the beauty underneath? Unfortunately, we all know that life's not like that....

womans-face-unveiling.png

Hmm, without looking it up: this is either Barbara Stanwick or that actress that appeared with James Stewart in many of his movies. What did I win? :)

That siding is hideous, of course, but I'll take it over the EIFS that would no doubt cover the building if it was renoed today. At least there still exists the chance that the metal might come off some day and reveal something of the original.

I imagine that second floor porch would have been an excellent spot to be during the summer, before AC.

Walking along Grange avenue recently: it's a thrill to see one hundred and thirty plus year old porches and trim on many of the old houses. Cabbagetown is renewed almost totally everywhere, and just looks old, but the real McCoy is still readily available for the discerning eye in many of these old neighbourhoods. :)

Last edited:
"What did I win?"
QUOTE Mustapha

"Nothing. It's Joan Crawford in "A Woman's Face" (1941)."
QUOTE thecharioteer

Sorry Mustapha. Not only did you not win anything, you now owe the charioteer

a shrimp dish, c/w Heinz Chile Sauce!
(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Tough crowd here. Penalties for being wrong too. :(

Then and Now for Oct 28.

Then. Yonge and Summerhill, NE corner. c1915. Complete with floor plan; thank you wwwebster.

238YongeSummerhillNEc1915.jpg

Now. June 2011.

239.jpg

Back