News   May 10, 2024
 66     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 556     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 842     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for Oct 31.

Then. Apr. 6, 1923. Looking N towards and past West Toronto Station.

217.jpg

Now. June 2011.

218lowrez.jpg

"CP's West Toronto station ... was on the west side of the CP tracks at Old Weston Road and Dupont Street. The station was closed when its last remaining train service, The Canadian to Vancouver, was rerouted in 1978. Heritage interests had been talking to politicians about having it preserved when CP abruptly demolished the building on November 25, 1982. It was one of a series of demolitions of closed stations they had carried out about that time, at least once using similar tactics. After the demolition the company rebuilt the junction curves used by the new Milton line GO trains on a gentler alignment. The company claimed that this had been urgently necessary, that they had "tried" to give notice, that as a federally regulated company they did not need municipal permission, and that since the building was already closed it was no longer a station and so they did not need federal permission either. However, the Canadian Transport Commission ruled on May 3, 1983, that the demolition was illegal.

Construction work is underway to convert the West Toronto Diamond into a grade-separated junction allowing GO Transit, Via Rail and CN trains to pass through a new underpass of the CP Rail line without delays."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Toronto_Diamond

It was an attractive and historic station that was so callously and pointlessly taken away from The Junction by Canadian Pacific. Later they donated some money to the historic society, but it really was a huge loss.

Last edited:
West Toronto Diamond

Then and Now for Oct 31.

Then. Apr. 6, 1923. Looking N towards and past West Toronto Station.

217.jpg

I think these photos also show the station - can you find it? (attached)
What a massive array of tracks!
They emphasize the overwhelming power of railroads in our recent history.

Attachments

• west_toronto_diamond_1923.jpg
    west_toronto_diamond_1923.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 317
  • weston_rd_bridge.jpg
    weston_rd_bridge.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 335
I think these photos also show the station - can you find it? (attached)
What a massive array of tracks!
They emphasize the overwhelming power of railroads in our recent history.

In your picture on the right, I believe our station is in the top right corner.

It was an attractive and historic station that was so callously and pointlessly taken away from The Junction by Canadian Pacific. Later they donated some money to the historic society, but it really was a huge loss.

A Goggle of 'West Toronto Station' brings up much information and images.

Then and Now for Nov 1.

Then. 'Aug. 18, 1930. 90 College St.'

240.jpg

Now. June 2011. Not sure when the old building came down but it was a handsome little apartment building (note presence of drapes in the windows). It was built in front of what seems to be an even older house. I suppose U of T just needed the parking badly.

241.jpg

Then and Now for Nov 2.

Then. 74 Binscarth Road. c1909. Picture provided by wwwebster.

24274Binscarthc1909.jpg

Now. June 2011.

The house numbers now jump from 72 to 76, skipping 74. A brand new #76 sits on a double wide lot so we can surmise what happened to #74... and recently too.

243Theoriginal74BinscarthisalsogoneThehousesnowjumpfrom72to76Abrandnew76sitsonadoublewidelotsoguesswhathappenedto74.jpg

In your picture on the right, I believe our station is in the top right corner.

Note also how the vegetation around the tracks has been kept down. With steam engines, it was imperative that efforts be made to keep trackside weeds under control, as they could be set alight from sparks, etc. Something which isn't of much concern now, hence the overgrown look of a lot of rail lines.

Then and Now for Nov 1.

Then. 'Aug. 18, 1930. 90 College St.'

240.jpg

Now. June 2011. Not sure when the old building came down but it was a handsome little apartment building (note presence of drapes in the windows). It was built in front of what seems to be an even older house. I suppose U of T just needed the parking badly.

241.jpg

It looks like the "apartment building" was a front addition to the other half of the semi that still remains. It illustrates how much College has been widened when we compare the setbacks.

Back