News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

And The Toronto Club at Wellington & York.

TorontoClubsleep-over.jpg

Nice photo Goldie.

Then and Now for Oct 26.

Then. Sunnyside Station. Located on the south side of the King/Queen/Roncesvalles intersection. May 4, 1915.

234.jpg

Now. June 2011.

235.jpg

I'm going to repeat the question I asked on the main page article. Was this one of the stations that was preserved and relocated, or was it demolished?
I know a few stations have been relocated to Roundhouse park, and other locations.

"Was this one of the stations that was preserved and relocated,"
QUOTE The_Architect

The Parkdale station (above) was burned, while the Dundas/Dupont/Hook station was demolished.

With the latter building, the mayor arrived telling the dozer operator that he must stop what he was

doing. The op told him "We are the CPR, we are Federally Chartered, and who are you."*

Both of the Don Stations were saved, but don't quote me on it.

*Similar reaction was recieved by the city re The Distillery District. (CPR/CNR/TTR)

Regards,
J T

Thanks! That's really sad, it would be great to have saved even more of these old stations than we have, not saying the number we've saved and restored isn't impressive.

It's depressing that people can have such a "who cares" attitude about the city's history.

"Was this one of the stations that was preserved and relocated,"
QUOTE The_Architect

Don't kid your self, as this happens at all levels whether they be government, private practice, or the Joe who owns

the bulding down the block.

Regards,
J T

Isn't this just the classic dilemma of 'property ownership?'
Does the owner a property have the right to dispose of it?
I expect the "Occupy" folks should be debating this issue.
Doesn't anyone remember Howard Roark?

PS: The Don Station was first moved to Todmorden Mills Museum where it remained for a few years.
It was recently moved to Roundhouse Park. (attached thumbnail)

Attachments

• Don Station.jpg
    Don Station.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 245
That photo of Sunnyside Station really reminds me of the old "City Limits" bus and street car station that used to be at Yonge Street (west side), just north of Yonge Blvd., up in north Toronto.

Actually, wasn't "this" Parkdale station demolished sometime in the 1960s (I think); and then another (and more modest, if no less historic) Parkdale station moved to the site from Queen & Dufferin in the 1970s, only to see its boarded up hulk burnt in 1977 or so...

I hadn't noticed your reference to the National Club's web page until now.
Wow! Those interior shots made my mouth water - I wish I could be a member.

Here's the corner now occupied by Trump, c. 1930/32, the Commerce appears to be nearing completion.
The National Club is recognizable on the right.

bay-and-adelaide-se-corner-1930.jpg

Then and Now for Oct 26.

Then. Sunnyside Station. Located on the south side of the King/Queen/Roncesvalles intersection. May 4, 1915.

234.jpg

Now. June 2011.

235.jpg

From the nearby pedestrian bridge over the tracks & the Gardiner, you can still see the concrete curb that marked the edge of the platform for Sunnyside station

Thanks! That's really sad, it would be great to have saved even more of these old stations than we have, not saying the number we've saved and restored isn't impressive.

It's depressing that people can have such a "who cares" attitude about the city's history.

'Impressive' is a good word for it. Looking at the Then picture again makes you realize the scale of it - look at the people standing next to it - it was huge. It must have graced the neighbourhood with some presence.

That photo of Sunnyside Station really reminds me of the old "City Limits" bus and street car station that used to be at Yonge Street (west side), just north of Yonge Blvd., up in north Toronto.

Yep, it sat where the lanes into and out of the Loblaws parking lot are now.

Then and Now for Oct 27.

Then. Hall's Garage. 877 College Street. c1915. A wwwebster sourced picture.

236HallsGarageCollegeStreetc1915.jpg

Now. June 2011. Sorry folks, I don't know what I was thinking; cutting off the right side of the picture like that. This is of course our 1917 building - with improvements.

237.jpg

Back