News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Thanks ever so much Mustapha. We lived in Vancouver from 83 to 86, and on our 1st drive downtown, the wife was the navigator using a map. She said "drive straight through", I said" I can't! There is a domed stadium in the way!"

You're welcome Gebbois. The downtown is confusing; grid pattern but water on all sides. I don't get there often enough to get my bearings.

295 George Street. Image linked from:

http://www.cowen-ent.co.uk/showmedia.php?mediaID=1953&all=1

Fegan%20home%20295%20George%20St%20Toronto.jpg

Image linked from Torontoist:

20111020fire3.jpg

I can imagine the difficulties the owner would have with a house of this age, condition, configuration and location. Still doesn't excuse their neglect.

Then and Now for Oct. 21.

Then. Colgate Ave. N side opposite Verral Ave. c1918. 'Factory of Palmolive Company of Canada.' wwwebster sourced this picture for us.

224ColgateAveNsideoppVerralAvec1918.jpg

Now. May 2011. I wonder if building is going on now on this vacant lot that I saw early in the summer. I wonder when the old factory was demolished...

225.jpg

295 George Street. Image linked from:

http://www.cowen-ent.co.uk/showmedia.php?mediaID=1953&all=1

Fegan%20home%20295%20George%20St%20Toronto.jpg

Image linked from Torontoist:

20111020fire3.jpg

A couple of things I find interesting: First, I had thought that faux half-timbering looked a bit odd for an 1850s building--thanks for the photo that confirms it wasn't original! It's also interesting to note that at some point the door was repositioned to the centre from the right, and two more windows added on the side. But the back part of the building looks mostly unchanged.

Sigh. Buildings of this vintage are disappearing quickly. It's kind of hard to tell how badly this one is damaged, but it doesn't look good.

Also, just up the street on Carlaw from Colgate Palmolive (by the way, they renamed "Natalie" Street "Colgate" in 1935 when they built the factory) was Reliable Toy factory. My mom worked there for 24 years from 1948. Many of those factories in the east end are either torn down or turned into condos (Wrigley). You know what it is like when you are a kid, your sense of smell is much more distinct than it is as we get older. I lived across the street from a Dunlop Tire factory, but depending on which way the wind was blowing, I also got a whiff of the soap smell from Colgate Palmolive factory, and the smell of fresh baking bread from Brown Bros. factory at Logan and Eastern (Now Weston). Many fine memories!

Also, just up the street on Carlaw from Colgate Palmolive (by the way, they renamed "Natalie" Street "Colgate" in 1935 when they built the factory) was Reliable Toy factory. My mom worked there for 24 years from 1948. Many of those factories in the east end are either torn down or turned into condos (Wrigley). You know what it is like when you are a kid, your sense of smell is much more distinct than it is as we get older. I lived across the street from a Dunlop Tire factory, but depending on which way the wind was blowing, I also got a whiff of the soap smell from Colgate Palmolive factory, and the smell of fresh baking bread from Brown Bros. factory at Logan and Eastern (Now Weston). Many fine memories!

Unfortunately, the Weston bakery has plans to close. More condos. Swing by, and you'll see how the hood has changed. I live there now.

"up the street on Carlaw from Colgate Palmolive (by the way, they renamed "Natalie" Street "Colgate" in 1935 when they built the factory) was Reliable Toy factory."
QUOTE ronnieg

Reliable Toy, makers of plastic rather than metal toys, hence their rarity, were bought out during the 1970's by the new owner of Viceroy Manufacturing,

with Viceroy's former owner being the Jefferies family who were a partner in MLG along with Ballard, Bassett and Smythe.

Not to be forgotten in that area, but farther to the west, was the Coca-Cola Company plant at 90/100 Broadview Avenue and to the south therof,

The United Drug Company aka Rexall Drug Co at 68/70. What is now known as Sunlight Park Road (Lever Brothers - LUX Soap) was in time past

part of Eastern Avenue. (The iron/steel bridge continuing across the River Don, south of the former Consumer's Gas now Enbridge's bridge.)

For added interest, Sunlight Park was the name of the first baseball grounds in this fair city afterwhich moved to the Toronto Island's Hanlon's Point.

Having been burned-out at "The Point" they repaired to "The Diamond", which was newly built for the occason at the S/E corner of Fraser Avenue

and Liberty Streets. There is no doubt in my mind that the arrival of the E W Gillett's new plant, 1912, they of the before shown 1904 Great Toronto Fire -

Front Street, was suggested by none other than (Sir) Henry Pellatt, he being close to the Eaton's, who were close to Wm Dobie, President of Gillett's,

and owned a metal casting facility at the south end of Fraser Avenue. The last commercial/industrial owner of both 53 Fraser and 68/78 Broadview

Avenues was the same company for whom I worked, 1990's/2000's. BTW, my father' last girlfriend's father, worked at all three of the Gillett plants

into the late 1910's or 1920's. (LOL)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back