News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 776     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Folks, some time ago this has become my favorate thread on UT, I want to thank you for all of your time and effort in keeping it alive.
Great work!

'Tis a labor of love, at least for me, dt_toronto_geek.. I can skip a day of boring cardio at the gym by taking a minimum of 7 pictures each Saturday (enough to last another week of posts, ya know?) at a breakneck pace on foot.:)

You are most welcome. Sometimes the posters in this thread have pointed out things about old Toronto that are completely and jawdroppingly new to me.

April 18 addition.

Queen St looking W towards Power street.

fo1231_f1231_it1017.jpg

DSCF0614-1.jpg

Regarding the 409 Queen set: I thought the bricking up of windows to conserve energy was a mid-century thing. I guess I was wrong (unless this was the original intention of the designer(s), i.e. stylistic? Faux windows?)

I miss awnings. Why don't buildings have them anymore?

I miss them too. A place to shelter in a shower.. There is a unromantic modern version --- the 'tarp', usually held up by poles and steadied by nylon guy ropes tied to a cinder block. See Chinatown.:(

Regarding the 409 Queen set: I thought the bricking up of windows to conserve energy was a mid-century thing. I guess I was wrong (unless this was the original intention of the designer(s), i.e. stylistic? Faux windows?)

Probably stylistic, to avoid a wall devoid of embellishment.. just my amateur guess.:)

April 19 addition.

fo12315Cf1231_it0022.jpg

DSCF0612.jpg

From the descriptions of the photos at the Archives website
#4 "Item is an image of the Hotel Quigley located at 2301 Danforth Ave., at Morton Rd."
#6 Dupont Co of Canada Building – "Item is an image of an office building located at 85 Eglinton Ave. East, on the south east corner of Eglinton and Dunfield Ave.”

I would also say #10 is the NW corner of Bay & College.
Could #12 be the NE corner of Yonge & Wellesley?

Wow, there`s an interesting change. It was actually restored.

... but not as a loo.

It's probably an unprecedented reuse/readapt for sure. 'My school is a turlet' :), as they perhaps might say in Northern Ontario. I may have offended someone with that one..

From the descriptions of the photos at the Archives website
#4 "Item is an image of the Hotel Quigley located at 2301 Danforth Ave., at Morton Rd."
#6 Dupont Co of Canada Building – "Item is an image of an office building located at 85 Eglinton Ave. East, on the south east corner of Eglinton and Dunfield Ave.â€

I would also say #10 is the NW corner of Bay & College.
Could #12 be the NE corner of Yonge & Wellesley?

# 4, 6 and 10.. bingo, thanks!

# 12.. Ed007Toronto said it might be 'St. Mary' and Yonge. I'll check both your suggestions.

You're new here.. Welcome!

April 21 addition.

Don Valley view. Taken from the Dairy Queen parking lot on Broadview. The caramel dipped cone is highly recommended.

fo12315Cf1231_it0029.jpg

DSCF0606.jpg

I thought this picture might be appropriate to go along with the Don Valley pics above.

It's interesting how they straightened out the meanders of the lower Don. Also how Carlton dead-ended in 1888.

s0725_fl0012_MT00092C_don20straight.jpg

I thought this picture might be appropriate to go along with the Don Valley pics above.

It's interesting how they straightened out the meanders of the lower Don. Also how Carlton dead-ended in 1888./QUOTE]

As usual great photos and the map is a super addition - it certainly explains why the West Don Lands site a few pics above was so waterlogged - rivers do not like being moved and try to return to their natural path! Meanders have the effect of slowing down flash flooding so maybe if they had left them as they were there would not be the current worries/activities to stop flooding in the lower Don.

Thanks for the welcome - and all the great photos. I couldn't resist.
I think #12 - Yonge & St Mary is correct - sw corner. I can see the building to the left of it in the birds eye view on live.maps.com

#1 - "item is an image of an office building located on the south east corner of Adelaide St. West and York St. Building includes Premier Engraving Company Ltd., Central Scientific Company of Canada Ltd., and National Stationers Ltd."

I miss awnings. Why don't buildings have them anymore?

I like them too. Store front retractable awnings are still quite common. In one small stretch in my neighbourhoood there are probably 6 or 8 of them on one block.

#1 - "item is an image of an office building located on the south east corner of Adelaide St. West and York St. Building includes Premier Engraving Company Ltd., Central Scientific Company of Canada Ltd., and National Stationers Ltd."

Thanks anna, I'll get down there this weekend, take a 'now' pic and put both pics up eventually. It's handy having another pair of eyes here finding stuff I can't see for the chaff, although adma does admirably too.:)

April 22 addition.

Trinity Street.

fo1583_f1583_it0061.jpg

DSCF0602.jpg

Last edited:

Back