News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 947     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

I hope the have a stop every block so granny won't have to walk more than 100 metres to get to the hair dressers.
Another obscene waste of funds. The more ridiculous things that come out of Metrolinx the more I'm hoping Queen's Park doesn't fork over one dime.
If they had any vision they would transfer SRT to LRT and have the Sheppard streetcar to GO and then head south to merge the two to continue to STC and then they can split again. At some point they be both extended , one to Malvern and one to UT Scar. It should be limited stop and use underpasses as should be done one the current Sheppard streetcar to turn it into an LRT from just a slow moving bus on rails.

sissy guy

is there anything more to you besides MONORAIL?!?!?!

I am talking about calling someone a sissy and harassing other members in general, if you need me to spell it out clearly for you.

AoD

Uggh. And now we see why it would have made sense to put the LRT on Ellesmere to begin with and connect STC, Rouge Hospital, UTSC and Durham region...not to mention running it on a corridor that's TOD friendly.

That aside, while I see their justification for having a link for the Pan Am games, I have serious doubts about the rest of their logic. They say UTSC generates 4000 riders per day. But how many of those use Sheppard? Most are STC or Kennedy bound today. So how many would the use the Sheppard LRT in the future? With fare integration, I am willing to bet that more students would take the Durham-STC BRT/express link to STC than the SELRT.

Really, if they aren't doing something on Ellesmere, then it's the MMLRT that will best serve UTSC, not the SELRT. This money would be better spent building a spur on McCowan to STC. That way they could replace the 190. This extension would not replace a single bus route.

Anyway, if it's needed for the games, I guess all this discussion is moot. Planning will now be driven by an event (that's not even that massive as far as major world sporting events go) that we would host only once every few decades (if that).

Last edited:
They could have flying camels on Sheppard and Morningside for all the good it'll do...a simple bus from STC to UTSC would still be the fastest and easiest and most used mode of transit. That bus route already exists and won't cost over a billion dollars to improve.

It is silly that between McCowan and Markham road the plan is for BRT on Ellesmere, grade-separated LRT near Progress, and LRT in its own ROW on Sheppard. Maybe they should go for four and have BRT on Milner. A true "Master Transit Plan" wouldn't have such nonsense.

It is silly that between McCowan and Markham road the plan is for BRT on Ellesmere, grade-separated LRT near Progress, and LRT in its own ROW on Sheppard. Maybe they should go for four and have BRT on Milner. A true "Master Transit Plan" wouldn't have such nonsense.

Exactly. Ridiculous. All driven by the desire to kill off subway expansion in Scarborough. Short subway extension would have obviated all this stuff. If the Sheppard subway went to Agincourt, you wouldn't need anything beyond it. And if the Bloor-Danforth went to STC, you wouldn't need LRT to Malvern. Instead, we have this mish-mash of lines which amazingly don't do much for the vast majority of residents. Malvernites would actually be better off with a BRT on Milner! That would do more than the LRT to Progress and Sheppard.

Anyone know the estimated time it would take to ride the SELRT from Don Mills to Conlins?
I don't think an exact estimate has been provided. But the final (Phase 1) stop will be Water Tower Gate, which would be 12.6 km to Don Mills road. They talk of an average speed of 22-23 km/hr; so at 22.5 km/hr, it would take about 33.5 minutes.

I expect however, that if they do extend the line to the University of Toronto at Scarborough, that they would only run 12.2 km to Morningside, in 32.5 minutes. Might be a shade faster, as that's the average for the at grade LRT, and the first 1.2 km to Consumers Road will be grade separated. Assuming that the first 1.2 km is 30 km/hr, and the rest is 22.5, then the travel time would be 31.7 minutes.

^ Or in other words, just a measly 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 minutes faster than the existing bus service not accounting for delays.

But how can that be if the bus ride from Conlins to Don Mills is currently 45-50 minutes?

I'm just relaying to you what the TTC website had to say. These are off-peak hours sure, but not that dramatically different from the norm.
---

http://www3.ttc.ca/Trip_planner/index.jsp
38 minutes, No transfers

Leaving at 8:24pm from DON MILLS STATION
Using this route 85 SHEPPARD EAST towards MEADOWVALE
Arriving at 9:02pm at SHEPPARD AVENUE EAST AT CONLINS ROAD

These directions are for planning purpose only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather, or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

I'm just relaying to you what the TTC website had to say.
1) you are comparing off-peak 2) you are ignoring the significant gains that it makes west of Kennedy; east of Kennedy isn't as bad. 3) you are comparing to 2010 times; the LRT lines are premised on the massive gridlock estimated in 2031.

If you look at the current rush-hour service, it is 45 minutes from Don Mills station to Morningside Avenue currently (48 minutes to Conlins), if the bus is on time; I've heard reports the bus is often late at rush hour.

If the travel time is only 32 minutes (and reliable) with the LRT, compared to 45 minutes (and unreliable) then that is a huge time savings. That's a 13 minute time savings. Probably more, given that it will only be a short distance with no steps from the door to the subway, to the door to LRT, compared to the long walk currently from the platform, to the bus bay. That walk alone must be 2-3 minutes. Let's be charitable and say that the total savings is 15 minutes. 30 minutes a day. 2.5 hours a week. 125 hours a year.

What kind of NIMBY would describe that as measly!

Last edited:

Back