News   May 16, 2024
 230     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 336     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 493     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

I would hope that a LRT station would not cost a $100 million a piece. Either way, if the LRT looks like its going to happen I'd prefer to get rid of the transfer if it can be done cheaply. Heck, I'd still support getting rid of the transfer and bolstering the Sheppard bus service from Yonge to Don Mills.

Is it the end of Sheppard East LRT?

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/611812

Apr 01, 2009 12:15 PM

Rob Ferguson
Queen's Park Bureau

Four new public transit projects for the Greater Toronto Area, including a rapid transit line on Eglinton Avenue to Pearson Airport, are getting the green light from Premier Dalton McGuinty today.

But most of the projects must still go through the environmental approvals process, the government said in a statement, so it will be next year at the earliest before construction can begin, with the exception of the York Viva bus rapid transit line.

The projects, in concert with the TTC and the regional transit agency Metrolinx, are worth $9 billion.

The first will likely involve $1.4 billion in construction on the York Viva bus rapid transit system. A first segment will be built along Highway 7 from Markham Centre to Richmond Hill Centre with completion scheduled for 2011 – the year of the next provincial election. Construction will begin in the fall as some environmental assessments have already been completed.

Other segments of the line should be finished two years later, the government said in a statement that suggested the transit projects are just as important for the troubled economy as they are for commuters.

"Our investments in transit will create jobs, help stimulate the economy and improve the air we breathe," said McGuinty.

In Scarborough, rehabilitation work and extending the rapid transit rail line to Malvern Town Centre or Markham Road is slated to be completed and in service for commuters by 2015. Construction is expected to begin next year at a cost of $1.4 billion.

The 30-kilometre rapid transit line on Eglinton could be up and running by 2016 providing construction begins next year following the environmental assessment process. The estimated cost of the project, which includes a 10-kilometre tunnel from Keele to Leslie streets, is $4.6 billion.

Further north, the Finch light rapid transit line from Humber College on Hwy 427 to Don Mills subway station in the east could be finished by 2013 if approvals allow construction to begin next year at a cost of $1.2 billion.

Today's announcement from McGuinty and Transportation Minister Jim Bradley also includes financial support for a $3 million study of potential rapid transit lines through Hamilton – an east-west line on the King and Main street corridor and a north-south line along James and Upper James. The study will be completed by next spring.

Finch and Eglington will go first.

Is Metrolinx considering to finish the line like this?

Sheppard_Yonge_Eastward.gif

Sheppard_Yonge_Westward.gif

Transit City - Sheppard East LRT EA and Construction

For better or worse, construction has started, though only on the Sheppard-CN Agincourt grade separation. There's some utility relocation as well, but that's a bump-up of planned watermain work, further west in Malvern.

4223696796_37f1b07172.jpg

4223695712_82b2c25b43.jpg

If this is what "Starting Construction" means, we still have tonnes of time to end this madness before the LRT actually starts. The Agincourt grade separation won't be the best upgrade they could do to the Stouffville corridor, but it's an improvement anyways. And I thought I should be dreading the start of this! :p

The Agincourt grade separation is something that should have happened anyways, if only so that the GO line can be double-tracked and made ready for all-day service.

Small update:

• A report to the Government Management Committee on Jan 13th recommends that council approve the expropriation of portions of 11 properties to accommodate the construction of a grade separation at the Agincourt GO Station.
  • Sites include: 1 Reidmount Avenue, 5 Agincourt Drive, and 4044, 4061, 4068-4070, 4072, 4091, 4124-4138, 4142, 4146 and 4156-4158 Sheppard Avenue East.

*Sigh*

This is a tough one to separate. As such, I am copying a lot more posts over, than just moving posts, as a news article, EA update devolves into both a debate on Sheppard East and a discussion on the finer details. I don't want to have discussion in either thread with missing context.

I'm not at all enthusiastic about this particular project going forward, but it is, and there needs to be a place for those updates - ie the news over the Subway/LRT connection, the EA updates, the stop spacing discussion, etc. The TC threads are way too long to navigate through.

Let's hope they approve the extension. It makes a lot of sense to improve transit service to 2 schools with lots of captive riders. The cost to extend the line is minimal.

I hope the have a stop every block so granny won't have to walk more than 100 metres to get to the hair dressers.
Another obscene waste of funds. The more ridiculous things that come out of Metrolinx the more I'm hoping Queen's Park doesn't fork over one dime.
If they had any vision they would transfer SRT to LRT and have the Sheppard streetcar to GO and then head south to merge the two to continue to STC and then they can split again. At some point they be both extended , one to Malvern and one to UT Scar. It should be limited stop and use underpasses as should be done one the current Sheppard streetcar to turn it into an LRT from just a slow moving bus on rails.

What's going on sheppard right now? Have they put any rails down or what?

What's going on sheppard right now? Have they put any rails down or what?
We won't be at that stage for a little while... the contract for the Agincourt grade separation is supposed to be awarded in July, so work on that should get started shortly after. The bid results are here. Low bid was $28M.

Back