News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 903     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Juan_Lennon416 and Fresh Start, please keep the debate between subways and LRT's in some other thread. This thread is solely for updates in construction of the SELRT and let's keep it that way.

No, thank you for pointing out that fact and saying something about it. Perhaps it's time to consider stronger disciplinary measures against those very members who can't seem to follow UT rules whatever thread they visit.

AoD

Your response is exactly the kind of baiting this thread doesn't need. Take the hint. Any further non topical postings on this thread will be deleted.

AoD

Last edited:
Does anybody have construction updates? I drove down the length of the LRT routing and didn't see much signs of construction. They aren't even moving much on the Agincourt grade separation.

I was referring to actual construction not bidding/tendering.

If you read the website carefully, you would see that the closing date for the bidding/tendering of the Agincourt GO Grade Separation was only June 23, 2010. That is why you have not seen any construction at that particular location on your ride. I am sure construction would resume very soon

Last edited:
The TTC released the report on the tendering today - http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...upplementary_Reports/Procurement_Authoriz.pdf

Dufferin Construction got the job, and bid about $28.7 million, below the engineer's estimate of $34 million. We've consistently seen in recent bids that they have been coming in below estimate. Given the amount of construction that will be tendered in the next year on the Sheppard LRT and Spadina subway extension, this bodes well for the jobs coming in on or under budget!

At the risk of alluding to debates, it does seem as though bids are coming in low at the moment. It may be that the estimates produced for various lines aren't political manipulations after all, but simply engineers' best guesses of what it will cost.

Last edited:
Bids for Transit Projects have been lower than expected for many projects in the US too. There is really no conspiracy. I think the cost of material is finally coming down.

Bids for Transit Projects have been lower than expected for many projects in the US too. There is really no conspiracy. I think the cost of material is finally coming down.
Fuel isn't down. Steel isn't down. Rock isn't down much. There is some surplus labour. I expect that there's a short-term dip in bidding prices, but that they will likely continue to increase in the long-term.

However, all the pricing that was done 1-2 years ago, likely assumed that the previous 6% to 10% annual inflation would continue, and it has actually gone down for a bit. Great time to be tendering big construction contracts! But probably won't impact anything that isn't already very advanced. I fear the delay in the Sheppard East track tendering to 2011 may miss this window of opportunity.

Back