News   Jul 15, 2024
 182     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 402     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 541     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Or after building the Bloor extension to the STC, and the DRL to both ends of Bloor Line, extend the Stubway east and west. East to STC West to Downsview Station.

That is the best solution - staring everyone in the face - and that few can get over or accept because of its potential cost.

It's like watching a debate between accountants who don't actually ride public transit or mind transfers between LRTs and buses and streetcars and stubways. Forced transfer at Kennedy. No problem. It's been that way for 30 years. Potential forced transfer at Don Mills. Well, we can't afford the alternative.

If you live at Line 2 you can go end to end without a transfer. Similarly one day at Line 5. Somehow the top of the city deserves a different solution.

Clearly the low real estate values, at-risk neighbourhoods, slower pace of development, and generally lower income neighbourhoods have nothing to do with the lack of quality RAPID public transit.

If we were talking about schools and hospitals, would we really be having this debate?

Can no one see the value of a higher order back up for Line 5 north of Line 2. If I want to go across the top of the city, am I condemned to ride a bus? If I am at Bloor I get to take Line 2. If I live at STC I get to take Line 5. And if I live on old Finch and I want to attend Humber College, then I can lump it on a bus to Don Mills and then get to Yonge and then take a bus and then get south to Finch West and then finally back on rapid transit. Really?

Why - in a metropolitan area of 6 million people would there not be a third RAPID transit line spanning the city? What the hell is the 401? If everyone thinks that it's full of 905 commuters, think again. All kinds of those trips begin and end in 416.
So you want a Sheppard Crosstown?

Awesome construction will start in 30-40 years then. Can't wait.
30-40 years start date? I think you mean that is when they will start to talk about doing it.

Reality, a DRL is needed more than much else in the city.

Toronto is a victim of it's own success.

Or after building the Bloor extension to the STC, and the DRL to both ends of Bloor Line, extend the Stubway east and west. East to STC West to Downsview Station.

No, we need to build the DRL to Sheppard before we can even begin to discuss extending
the Sheppard Subway. The Yonge Line can't handle the additional riders.

So, lets say the extension goes through. I doubt they'll extend all the way across Sheppard - more likely down to the STC. So then, does the Sheppard LRT disappear, or does a shorted version go the rest of the way to Malvern, and meet up with the Malvern LRT there? I think that would be pretty good - Sheppard becomes less of a stub, Malvern is stilled served, and theres high order transit across all of Scarborough.

Last edited:
So, lets say the extension goes through. I doubt they'll extend all the way across Sheppard - more likely down to the STC. So then, does the Sheppard LRT disappear, or does a shorted version go the rest of the way to Malvern, and meet up with the Malvern LRT there? I think that would be pretty good - Sheppard becomes less of a stub, Malvern is stilled served, and theres high order transit across all of Scarborough.

You could extend Sheppard into Pickering and it would connect nicely with Highway 2.

Even in a optimistic world I see the drl as the priority and the long version at least 30 years from completion. There is no doubt as much as It is needed there will be plan changes, and delayed funding. If drl has to be completed first then Sheppard is a long way off

Even in a optimistic world I see the drl as the priority and the long version at least 30 years from completion. There is no doubt as much as It is needed there will be plan changes, and delayed funding. If drl has to be completed first then Sheppard is a long way off

The Sheppard Subway extension is a pipe dream. It's more politically contentious than any other project in the City, it's going to cost more than $5 Billion, and it's impossible to make it work within the existing network. The Yonge Line is full, so neither the Yonge North exrneision nor the Sheppard Subway extension can move forward without relief. Unlike the SSE, Sheppard's problems aren't only low ridership, but also that it'll break our transit network, including the GTA's most important transit line.

The Relief Line exitension to Sheppard won't be operational to the early 2030s at the absolute earliest. So we're probably looking at around 20 years at the earliest, for any extension of the Sheppard Subway. Maybe sooner if the Relief Line and Sheppard Subway are bundled as a single project and built concurrently (good luck finding the money $12+ Billion).

We better get used to the Sheppard Stub. It's not going away any time soon. On the bright side, the Relief Line Long looks to be far more beneficial to area commuters than the Sheppard Subway would have been.

The Sheppard Subway extension is a pipe dream. It's more politically contentious than any other project in the City, it's going to cost more than $5 Billion, and it's impossible to make it work within the existing network. The Yonge Line is full, so neither the Yonge North exrneision nor the Sheppard Subway extension can move forward without relief. Unlike the SSE, Sheppard's problems aren't only low ridership, but also that it'll break our transit network, including the GTA's most important transit line.

The Relief Line exitension to Sheppard won't be operational to the early 2030s at the absolute earliest. So we're probably looking at around 20 years at the earliest, for any extension of the Sheppard Subway. Maybe sooner if the Relief Line and Sheppard Subway are bundled as a single project and built concurrently (good luck finding the money $12+ Billion).

We better get used to the Sheppard Stub. It's not going away any time soon. On the bright side, the Relief Line Long looks to be far more beneficial to area commuters than the Sheppard Subway would have been.

This is why the Sheppard LRT should be placed on hold for the time being.

Sheppard corridor is not the top priority, either as subway or as LRT.

DRL, GO RER, Eglinton West and East, and Yonge North should all be taken as higher priorities. Perhaps, Finch LRT as well; the benefits of Finch and Sheppard lines would be comparable, but Finch is more straightforward and easier politically to handle.

When it gets to extending the rail transit on Sheppard, the best option is to find a technology that is cheaper and more flexible than wide-bodied TTC subways, yet faster than the Transit City style LRT.

This could be either LRT with wide stop spacing, off-road or elevated where practical, and possibly high-floor to simplify the reuse of the existing subway tunnel. Or, this could be mini-metro, that cuts the per-km construction costs at the price of lower capacity, but is fast and can support long crosstown trips.

Back