News   May 14, 2024
 205     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 327     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

I would agree. I don't think anything will he built on Sheppard. The local community doesn't care enough to support the LRT, and the subway won't fly without strong political will. The Scarborough extension will eat up a lot of funding and the Relief line must be the only subway priority. Sheppard is not urgent and hey could easily build a BRT to improve the existing service.

It would be interesting to see if Finch gets built. Both lines would have opened by now if it wasn't for McGuinty bending to Fords will and delaying those lines.

I would agree. I don't think anything will he built on Sheppard. The local community doesn't care enough to support the LRT, and the subway won't fly without strong political will. The Scarborough extension will eat up a lot of funding and the Relief line must be the only subway priority. Sheppard is not urgent and hey could easily build a BRT to improve the existing service.

It would be interesting to see if Finch gets built. Both lines would have opened by now if it wasn't for McGuinty bending to Fords will and delaying those lines.

McGuinty delayed Finch, SLRT and Eglinton before Ford became Mayor, I do also recall the province dragged their feet on Sheppard by a year or so with approvals and funding or something. These delays allowed ford to come in and shit all over everything. I'm sure they were just about ready to issue the first construction contracts for Sheppard when Ford got in, if they were a few months ahead then it might have been to late,

Toronto will be a fascinating city one day, if we succeed at infilling all those sites with density.

But I also have the suspicion that a Sheppard-Consumers area condo resident will be opting to use his car to drive around.

Toronto will be a fascinating city one day, if we succeed at infilling all those sites with density.

But I also have the suspicion that a Sheppard-Consumers area condo resident will be opting to use his car to drive around.
I would rather see more *commercial* show up there - we're not going to get new commercial land so better to intensify the few that residential hasn't yet eroded. Also, pushes more counterpeak traffic along Sheppard line, makes case for more transit capacity between Agincourt GO and Vic Park sooner. Condos - just more peak 404, 401, Line4>Line1>CBD traffic.

This is one that has confused me. Are they trying to do the same thing as the SRT? Make 2 different modes to a destination? It would be different if the extension originated at a major station, or if it were not to follow the natural extension a line should follow.
It is the same as thinking that between Finch and Richmond Hill should be LRT. It just does not make sense.

What could be done instead is a line from the airport to STC under Sheppard. Ir would almost negate the need for the UPX. To cover fares, you could have a special "airport fee" that people pay to board or disembark at the Airport. Vancouver did something like this with the Canada Line.

What could be done instead is a line from the airport to STC under Sheppard. Ir would almost negate the need for the UPX. To cover fares, you could have a special "airport fee" that people pay to board or disembark at the Airport. Vancouver did something like this with the Canada Line.

By "airport", they might mean "Pickering airport" by the time they get around to it, because it takes decades to get any transit improvements done these days.

Which is more likely to happen, extending Line 4 to Shepard West or extending to STC to meet Line 2? I would say extending to STC is more likely because of the Scarborough politicians, even though a northern connection to Line 1 YorkUniversitySpadina has it benefits :(.

No way an extension to Shepard west is happening. Very little political reason to do so, and the ridership, as far as I am aware, does not justify it.

If SSE had gone up to Shepard, 100% the Shepard subway would have been extended to meet it, I am certain of that. But since that isn't happening... I'm not really sure what they're planning. The last plan they showed had both the SSE and Eglinton East extension stopping short of Shepard.

Sheppard east extension to STC will cross 4 riding, more than west. Therefore west is less likely.

Can no one see the value of a higher order back up for Line 5 north of Line 2. If I want to go across the top of the city, am I condemned to ride a bus? If I am at Bloor I get to take Line 2. If I live at STC I get to take Line 5. And if I live on old Finch and I want to attend Humber College, then I can lump it on a bus to Don Mills and then get to Yonge and then take a bus and then get south to Finch West and then finally back on rapid transit. Really?

Why - in a metropolitan area of 6 million people would there not be a third RAPID transit line spanning the city? What the hell is the 401? If everyone thinks that it's full of 905 commuters, think again. All kinds of those trips begin and end in 416.

Last edited:
Why - in a metropolitan area of 6 million people would there not be a third RAPID transit line spanning the city? What the hell is the 401? If everyone thinks that it's full of 905 commuters, think again. All kinds of those trips begin and end in 416.

This was exactly part of the rationale for the Sheppard subway: a transit line parallel to the 401 and close to it to relieve the highway.

But they didn't end up finishing it. And now the corridor may involve a bus, an LRT, a subway and another bus. Switch the thing to LRT and go end-to-end.

This was exactly part of the rationale for the Sheppard subway: a transit line parallel to the 401 and close to it to relieve the highway.

But they didn't end up finishing it. And now the corridor may involve a bus, an LRT, a subway and another bus. Switch the thing to LRT and go end-to-end.

Or after building the Bloor extension to the STC, and the DRL to both ends of Bloor Line, extend the Stubway east and west. East to STC West to Downsview Station.

Back