News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 912     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

I passed by the site yesterday afternoon on the Sheppard East Bus but it was hard to see the site due to the crowd of loud girls heading to Fairview Mall after school. East of the tracks, the detour road is paved, the temporary sidewalk looks done and the temporary streetlights are in place and working.

I even saw a few guys wearing TTC construction vests standing on the south side of Sheppard Avneue East but they were just sitting in the shade

Last edited:
Does anybody have construction updates? I drove down the length of the LRT routing and didn't see much signs of construction. They aren't even moving much on the Agincourt grade separation.

They've begun cleared a ROW just east of the existing GO tracks at Agincourt Station for the temporary realignment of the Stouffville GO. Hopefully the bridge will be wide enough for double tracks.

I saw in the Mirror today that there is an office regarding the Sheppard East LRT for us to get info and construction updates. I took off after lunch, I told my boss about it, but the office was closed!

This office is located in a little strip mall at 19 Glen Watford Dr. which are the lights just west of that railway bridge between Midland and Brimley. The office hours are:

Monday and Tuesday between 2:00 and 5:00 pm
Wednesdays between 2:00 and 7:00 pm

I am going to weasel some more time from work and check this community office out when its open!

Last edited:
Sheppard Update

I went to the Community Office. They have some newsletters outlining the grade separation work, some colour postcards (nice to see TTC finally has a good designer apparently) new Sheppard LRT maps, and a series of colour display boards about LRT and the new vehicles as well an overview of the Metrolinx plan. Overall a good start i guess.

The guy in the office also gave me a link to the newsletter and told me Transit City is planning a new website. It should be up before 2011 apparently.

Newsletter here:
http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/sheppard_east_lrt/index.htm

It's good to see. I would have preferred an extension of the subway, but this is at least something. I'm not looking forward to the disruption of traffic on Sheppard, but it's only momentary, and it opens up more opportunities. And it's about time the underserved population of Scarberia got another line. :)

Made it down to that office the other day. The guy running it was named Devon and he was very knowledgable about this project and transit in general. One thing that I learned is that it will still be 2 lanes of regular traffic for the whole route, the only place that lanes will be lost is near the DVP where there are presently 7 lanes. Stop spacing is walkable for me but might be a little difficult for some of my older friends. Try and get in there to check out this project, I mentioned the office hours a few posts back. I was told that their has been some negativity put most people who have visited that office have been supportive of this project.

Made it down to that office the other day. The guy running it was named Devon and he was very knowledgable about this project and transit in general. One thing that I learned is that it will still be 2 lanes of regular traffic for the whole route, the only place that lanes will be lost is near the DVP where there are presently 7 lanes.

Near DVP?

Doesn't it dip underground at Consummers, which is well east of DVP?

I am guessing that they have to lose a lane for the portal itself in this area. Their is a lot of info about this project at the office I mentioned- check it out- there is also lots of free literature to take as well.

Traffic On Sheppard

I talked to the guy in the community office (Devin) about traffic lanes. He confirmed the following:

1) All thru-traffic lanes will be maintained from Don Mills, past Highway, to portal at Consumers Road

2) Dedicated left turn lanes will be available at all signal intersections (same spots as LRT stops)

3) There are some other places for left turns and U-turns that will be implemented - i can't remember all of them, he said they'll develop a map to emphasize these and post when their new website is ready (4-6 weeks or so he said)

4) Through traffic lanes will be maintained (2 lanes in each direction) from Pharmacy, east to the end of the line

5) Like the previous post said, He noted there is one section that changes. Between Pharmacy and the portal just west of Consumers only, I believe there is one thru-lane reduced. I'd confirm with Devin though, because i didn't write it down.

I also invited him to come on this site and post. He noted there's new info on the Transit City page in the Sheppard LRT Section:

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pr...ts/Sheppard_East_LRT_Newsletter_Fall_2010.jsp

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Agincourt underpass is the only part of this project that ends up being completed, in part because it is required to improve GO Transit's Stouffville line, regardless of the TTC's plans.
Why do you say that? There's been no suggestion from either the provincial or federal governments of cancelling this project. It would be nigh impossible with the funding agreement in place.

Sheppard East LRT will be built. Just live with it!

Funny that no-one that actually lives or has lived in scarborough is a proponent of shepperd east?

If people thought St. Clair is a disaster, wait till you see shepperd!

Also interesting is how there was NO action at the agincourt station the entire summer (super slow contrstuction), then all of the sudden, with the threat of cancellation, these union goons are working faster than ever?

incredible what a little political pressure can do... they can actually produce!

I lived my entire youth (p until I was 18 at Midland and Huntingwood area. If I still lived in the area I would support this project. SURE a Subway is a Dream but one must acknowledge the reality that Agincourt area of scarborough is vastly suburban (farther west you go the more suburban it is). In fact if I lived in the neighbourhood I wouldnt have a problem with TC as much as I have a problem with the fact that there just isnt enough lines. If Kennedy FInch and SHeppard had LRT lines there would be no complaints. That might cost the same as one subway but Id argue it would serve a larger area and more people. Besides if we wanted to connect STC to a subway line then it should be BLOOR not Sheppard.

Then run a subway through it with overground sections and run trains every 15 minutes so it can act as a northern crosstown Commuter Rail line at least.

Back