News   Jul 02, 2024
 643     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 462     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 331     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Is it safe to buy unregistered presto cards off others?
Probably depends on who. Your mother? Probably. Your workmate who's moving to a different city? Probably.

A guy in a bar? Who knows ... perhaps it's registered and stolen.

Not sure the point, unless it has a large balance, and your are paying cents on the dollar. But then I'd be suspicious.

That's what I thought as well. It could not even be hooked up to the PRESTO central at all.

Your card holds your $ value on it. The only time it actually gets deducted from your account is when you tap a machine. Even then it verifies and likely updates the central database with this information so that you don't have your card go through a magnet or break and lose all your money. So even though your card has lost the $ value on it, it doesn't necessarily mean you've lost your money. One of the advantages of this technology, which also happens to be the reason why you can't just reload your card online and have it show up on your card instantly. This would require any tap-on or tap-off device to have network capabilities to receive the updated balance from the central Database.

TL;DR your card holds your $ value so most NFC devices can view your balance. But it's not like if you lose your Presto card that you'll lose all your money.

Your card holds your $ value on it. The only time it actually gets deducted from your account is when you tap a machine. Even then it verifies and likely updates the central database with this information so that you don't have your card go through a magnet or break and lose all your money. So even though your card has lost the $ value on it, it doesn't necessarily mean you've lost your money. One of the advantages of this technology, which also happens to be the reason why you can't just reload your card online and have it show up on your card instantly. This would require any tap-on or tap-off device to have network capabilities to receive the updated balance from the central Database.

TL;DR your card holds your $ value so most NFC devices can view your balance. But it's not like if you lose your Presto card that you'll lose all your money.

I'm talking about the platform fare vending machines that are found on Spadina. We speculate that it they may push a pending load and add it to your card. It maybe can since soon they'll be able to take credit and debit.

I'm talking about the platform fare vending machines that are found on Spadina. We speculate that it they may push a pending load and add it to your card. It maybe can since soon they'll be able to take credit and debit.

The Fare and Transfers machines along the 509/510 are local only and not connected to the presto network. Debit/Credit data is transmitted via the cell network to Moneris or whatever service provider Presto has.

For anyone interested, they will be selling special commemorative "Union Pearson Express" PRESTO cards tomorrow at UP stations. These are functional PRESTO cards just like any other; the only difference is in the artwork.

I have no idea how many are available for sale, and they are limited quantity, so fair warning about heading about to get one; there are no guarantees. I presume "UP stations" includes Union but I have no idea for sure, as this was posted on Twitter by Metrolinx's media relations manager.

CGq8jBPXAAAhxUo.jpg

Attachments

• CGq8jBPXAAAhxUo.jpg
    CGq8jBPXAAAhxUo.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,180
Last edited:
For anyone interested, they will be selling special commemorative "Union Pearson Express" PRESTO cards tomorrow at UP stations. These are functional PRESTO cards just like any other; the only difference is in the artwork.

I have no idea how many are available for sale, and they are limited quantity, so fair warning about heading about to get one; there are no guarantees. I presume "UP stations" includes Union but I have no idea for sure, as this was posted on Twitter by Metrolinx's media relations manager.
It would be even nicer if this is extended to normal presto cards; in which each agency distributes cards with artwork that depicts their city/region (GTA, Hamilton, Ottawa), sort of like euro coinage.

It would be even nicer if this is extended to normal presto cards; in which each agency distributes cards with artwork that depicts their city/region (GTA, Hamilton, Ottawa), sort of like euro coinage.
It would be nice if they were different colours - so I don't accidentally use my 6-year old's which is identical in colour to mine.

It would be nice if they were different colours - so I don't accidentally use my 6-year old's which is identical in colour to mine.
Ha! Didn't think of that. Other smartcard systems do this, not sure why presto doesn't. I guess they will just tell us to write our names on the back..

Last edited:

I could see metrolinx plastering the Eglinton Crosstown on the cards. Self promotion maybe?

With the Pan AM games coming shortly, I wonder how many people will take the UPE to Union, the subway to a station where transfers are made outside the fare paid zone, and be shocked that their card won't allow them to board a streetcar or bus, like how it works back in their home city. Same goes for entering the subway at a non-Presto station, the bewilderment that only some subway stations are smart card enabled. Thank god they at least all now accept debit and credit payments, otherwise many tourists would likely walk out of the station and make their way to a car rental location.

Hopefully to avoid fare disputes, during the games TTC drivers will receive an internal memo to simply try to inform these people that they need to buy tokens or passes, that their smartcards will not work, but still let them board. Perhaps a multi-language pamphlet explaining fares would be best.

Reminds me of when on The Simpsons they go to Itchy and Scratchy Land and buy $1200 worth of I&S Money...

CEwEZeNWoAA8gIm.jpg

Attachments

• CEwEZeNWoAA8gIm.jpg
    CEwEZeNWoAA8gIm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,127
With the Pan AM games coming shortly, I wonder how many people will take the UPE to Union, the subway to a station where transfers are made outside the fare paid zone, and be shocked that their card won't allow them to board a streetcar or bus, like how it works back in their home city. Same goes for entering the subway at a non-Presto station, the bewilderment that only some subway stations are smart card enabled. Thank god they at least all now accept debit and credit payments, otherwise many tourists would likely walk out of the station and make their way to a car rental location.

Hopefully to avoid fare disputes, during the games TTC drivers will receive an internal memo to simply try to inform these people that they need to buy tokens or passes, that their smartcards will not work, but still let them board. Perhaps a multi-language pamphlet explaining fares would be best.
they can actually board a 509 (since Union TTC has turnstiles) and all streetcars will have them by end of year (according to Andy...) I think you overestimate how green the grass is elsewhere. Presto is a Metrolinx project which, let's not forget, TTC were forced into as a condition of provincial capital funding. Whatever about fare disputes, if pamphlets are required let Metrolinx print them and distribute at point of sale.

View attachment 47695

The cards are pre-loaded with $10, but staff will take off the $10 and sell you the card for $6 if you ask.

The cards are pre-loaded with $10, but staff will take off the $10 and sell you the card for $6 if you ask.

I didn't even ask, I just asked if they had the commemorative cards and the representative said "do you just want the card, or would you like to load a balance?" I even said "just the minimum is fine" assuming that would mean $16 and she gave it to me for $6. I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, the self-serve reload machine in the Pearson station was out of service when I arrived there around 12:30 or so today, but I went and walked around a bit and grabbed lunch and it was working by the time I got back. Used it to put $10 onto my existing card, very easy to use, much better than the crummy/huge one they used to have in the Bay concourse as a pilot...I believe this model is the one rolling out to the York concourse and TTC subway stations soon, so thank goodness for that. The tap debit/credit option is the biggest improvement--worked fantastically and quickly for me, also lets you choose whether or not you want a receipt, with those improvements it cuts down the time it takes to reload massively vs the old kiosk. Very impressed.

Edit--photo of machine while out of service, taken exactly at 12:30 PM today:

IMG_0545.JPG

That was indeed quite disappointing to see. Very, very poor optics just hours into launch day! Yikes! Somebody must have caught flak for that. Saw a lot of the camera crews/press taking interest in it, a handful of disappointed passengers, and Presto/UP staff standing by it almost trying to hide it from view! Oh well, fixed in a matter of hours.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 1,192
Last edited:
I didn't even ask, I just asked if they had the commemorative cards and the representative said "do you just want the card, or would you like to load a balance?" I even said "just the minimum is fine" assuming that would mean $16 and she gave it to me for $6. I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, the self-serve reload machine in the Pearson station was out of service when I arrived there around 12:30 or so today, but I went and walked around a bit and grabbed lunch and it was working by the time I got back. Used it to put $10 onto my existing card, very easy to use, much better than the crummy/huge one they used to have in the Bay concourse as a pilot...I believe this model is the one rolling out to the York concourse and TTC subway stations soon, so thank goodness for that. The tap debit/credit option is the biggest improvement--worked fantastically and quickly for me, also lets you choose whether or not you want a receipt, with those improvements it cuts down the time it takes to reload massively vs the old kiosk. Very impressed.

Edit--photo of machine while out of service, taken exactly at 12:30 PM today:

View attachment 47783

That was indeed quite disappointing to see. Very, very poor optics just hours into launch day! Yikes! Somebody must have caught flak for that. Saw a lot of the camera crews/press taking interest in it, a handful of disappointed passengers, and Presto/UP staff standing by it almost trying to hide it from view! Oh well, fixed in a matter of hours.

Ah so they will sell it for just $6, I ended up paying $16 to get the card, I guess I'll just transfer my balance onto this so I can use this one.

Back