News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 535     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 362     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

No you won't. Where are you getting this "fact"?

They might be one-way ... but given TTC is only getting 60 faregates for 69 stations you clearly are not going to have to tap to exit the station!

hope not cause that would lead to massive jams getting out of 60 stations and no exiting at all at the other 9!

I'm talking about the stations that will see the gates installed. Those you will need to tap off to exit the station. How else will someone exit?, sensors detecting when a person is about to walk through the faregate and opens automatically?, maybe. The gates have a reader mounted on top to tap your card on the unpaid side and the paid side. That's where i got my "fact". The ttc may possibly change their fare policy and structure this December, which it will make sense to have both to have the readers on both sides in case the TTC begins using fare by distance policy on the subway.

I'm talking about the stations that will see the gates installed. Those you will need to tap off to exit the station. How else will someone exit?, sensors detecting when a person is about to walk through the faregate and opens automatically?, maybe. The gates have a reader mounted on top to tap your card on the unpaid side and the paid side. That's where i got my "fact". The ttc may possibly change their fare policy and structure this December, which it will make sense to have both to have the readers on both sides in case the TTC begins using fare by distance policy on the subway.
Yes, that's how faregates work in a lot of places.

I'm talking about the stations that will see the gates installed. Those you will need to tap off to exit the station. How else will someone exit?,
There are already entrance-only and exit-only turnstiles. Even if all 60 of new gates only allow entrance, how is this going to be an issue for those exiting?

sensors detecting when a person is about to walk through the faregate and opens automatically?, maybe.
Maybe? You stated you know this as a "fact".

The ttc may possibly change their fare policy and structure this December, which it will make sense to have both to have the readers on both sides in case the TTC begins using fare by distance policy on the subway.
May possibly? There's been no indication of this in the mountains of documents the TTC publishes each year, and many clear statements that it won't be necessary to tap out.

There are already entrance-only and exit-only turnstiles. Even if all 60 of new gates only allow entrance, how is this going to be an issue for those exiting?

Maybe? You stated you know this as a "fact".

May possibly? There's been no indication of this in the mountains of documents the TTC publishes each year, and many clear statements that it won't be necessary to tap out.

Asked Brad if the MDP program will still be around when PRESTO is on the TTC and this is what he responded.
Screenshot_2015-05-30-00-13-12.png

Eh

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-30-00-13-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-30-00-13-12.png
    263.3 KB · Views: 419
Asked Brad if the MDP program will still be around when PRESTO is on the TTC and this is what he responded.
I don't see any relation between how passes and transfers will work (or if we'll even have passes - GO did away with them after all) and a requirement to tap out.

The bottom line, is that TTC hasn't come anywhere close to even ordering 10% of the equipment that would be necessary to do tap outs - and that ignores the huge building changes necessary to widen the fare lines, and put fare lines between buses and trains in most stations. It's not happening, and TTC staff have clearly said this.

Simply because a fruiterer announces he will start selling pineapples next year doesn't mean that all his clients will be required to buy pineapples!

Valid point... All I can say is wait and see for their solution maybe.

As we all will......but I will say, as I welcome you to the boards, is that nothing inflames a discussion here more than mis-placed hyperbole. Everyone here welcomes different view points but those of us who have been around a while have learned not to state things as "fact" if they are just ponderings/speculation (no matter how valid the ponderings/speculation may be...they only become fact when they, well, become fact ;) )

And what about all of the people paying with cash fares, for that matter? Indeed, this sounds ridiculous. They will automatically open.
Assuming they will be pushing the majority of users to presto, it won't be a problem. For the occasional riders who pay by cash, they can be issued a temporary disposable RFID card.

Assuming they will be pushing the majority of users to presto, it won't be a problem. For the occasional riders who pay by cash, they can be issued a temporary disposable RFID card.

in a flat fare system like TTC....what value does tapping out give you that would lead you to go to the trouble of giving cash payers temporary cards just so you can make everyone tap out? I really don't understand why they would change to a tap out system on the ttc. Currently you pay to get into a TTC station...and getting out is free....seems to work

As we all will......but I will say, as I welcome you to the boards, is that nothing inflames a discussion here more than mis-placed hyperbole. Everyone here welcomes different view points but those of us who have been around a while have learned not to state things as "fact" if they are just ponderings/speculation (no matter how valid the ponderings/speculation may be...they only become fact when they, well, become fact ;) )

Thanks, glad to know that everyone's welcomed. :D:D

in a flat fare system like TTC....what value does tapping out give you that would lead you to go to the trouble of giving cash payers temporary cards just so you can make everyone tap out? I really don't understand why they would change to a tap out system on the ttc. Currently you pay to get into a TTC station...and getting out is free....seems to work
Obviously in a flat-fare system, it doesn't matter. But if they wanted to move to a fare-by-distance scheme, then the tap out is required.

And what of 12-year olds who don't pay to enter? Let me state this again - there will be no requirement to tap out - not without years of discussion and a hundred million dollars in upgrades.

And what of 12-year olds who don't pay to enter? Let me state this again - there will be no requirement to tap out - not without years of discussion and a hundred million dollars in upgrades.

Then I guess distance based fares is off the table.

Back