News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 535     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 363     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

And what of 12-year olds who don't pay to enter? Let me state this again - there will be no requirement to tap out - not without years of discussion and a hundred million dollars in upgrades.
I am sure they can figure out something for that - likely they will still need a children presto card to enter, just that it won't be deducted when riding the TTC. But then, that doesn't have to be tied into any tap out requirement. It's a whole different topic.

in a flat fare system like TTC....what value does tapping out give you that would lead you to go to the trouble of giving cash payers temporary cards just so you can make everyone tap out? I really don't understand why they would change to a tap out system on the ttc. Currently you pay to get into a TTC station...and getting out is free....seems to work
Isn't the trend going to be cash-less eventually? It isn't like giving out temporary cards just for the sake of making everyone tap out, but rather enabling that to happen, whether it's for distance-based fare or not.

I am sure they can figure out something for that - likely they will still need a children presto card to enter, just that it won't be deducted when riding the TTC.
That's already happening. When there's a line-up at the attendant, my 7-year old uses their Presto card to tap through the turnstiles, which records a transaction on her card, but the charge is $0.

But then, that doesn't have to be tied into any tap out requirement. It's a whole different topic.
It is indeed.

Isn't the trend going to be cash-less eventually?
There's got to be a way to pay cash after full implementation. Either the current system, or using vending machines similar to what is on the new streetcars at some stops.

Osgoode is now PRESTO Enabled. 6 stations left for implementation.

Then they'll have to work on the Bloor line (oops, I mean Line 2) and everyone else.

The closest TTC boarding locations for me are Spadina and King streetcars, and St. Andrew subway station. Now that St. Andrew is PRESTO enabled, King is the remaining outlier. I recall a change of plans being announced where old streetcars would get PRESTO instead of waiting for the new ones. Is this true for King St.? What's the timeline?

An interesting quirk I find is that the platform boxes on Spadina don't have Presto enabled. I mean they're kind of the weirdest thing ever in that they only accept coins or tokens. I've noticed they have a credit/debit icon with a slash through it on them, so maybe they're planning that enhancement at some point.

Does anyone know how much modification would be required for them to accept Presto? I have to say Presto certainly seems like a no-brainer.

An interesting quirk I find is that the platform boxes on Spadina don't have Presto enabled. I mean they're kind of the weirdest thing ever in that they only accept coins or tokens. I've noticed they have a credit/debit icon with a slash through it on them, so maybe they're planning that enhancement at some point.

Does anyone know how much modification would be required for them to accept Presto? I have to say Presto certainly seems like a no-brainer.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/4286-Metrolinx-Presto-Fare-Card?p=959331#post959331 which leads to https://twitter.com/PRESTOcard/status/542387995966701568

Back