212     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 566     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Clarification from Presto about accessible gate at Dundas West:

PRESTO card ‏@PRESTOcard 1m1 minute ago
@vgedris @TTChelps The TTC’s current accessible entrances are unable to interact with PRESTO. (1/2)

@vgedris @TTChelps The full PRESTO rollout includes retrofitting or replacing turnstiles to make sure everything is fully accessible. (2/2)

Thanks guys.

I wonder what happens when people use it wrong:

Say you're on the new streetcar and you tap on, then tap off. You aren't supposed to tap off right? Does it charge you a 2nd time when you're tapping off? Is there any time-related limit on the TTC?

What if you're on the GO train, tap on when you get on. Then you get off at Union, but forget to tap off. Then you tap on to get into the subway station. Does that last tap both count as a tap off of GO and a tap on for TTC? Or I guess it's known as a TTC presto machine so it only counts as a TTC fare and you get charged extra for the GO trip since you forgot to tap off?

Also, I understand now that for GO and UPX you need to tap off, other things you don't. However, is there any indication or reminder for a tourist or for people who don't know the given transit system whether you need to tap off?

I guess with the TTC it should be pretty clear you don't need to tap off at the subway stations since there will only be presto machines for the entry gates. However on buses or streetcars it might not be clear whether you need to tap off or not. Although, I guess if you see everyone else getting off without tapping you wouldn't either.

On TTC you don't have to tap off on Presto, I think it might charge another fare if you tap again. It doesn't handle transfers either so you will have to get a transfer when riding the TTC with Presto.

As for the GO example, I'm not sure that tapping on a TTC Presto machine will register as tapping off GO. If you don't tap off GO they will charge you the max fare for that route. I agree it can be confusing, but right now unless it's GO you simply don't have to tap off.

As for the GO example, I'm not sure that tapping on a TTC Presto machine will register as tapping off GO. If you don't tap off GO they will charge you the max fare for that route. I agree it can be confusing, but right now unless it's GO you simply don't have to tap off.

You are correct, tapping at a subway station/on a streetcar will not automatically close your GO trip. However, it is pretty strong evidence if you call in to have the overpayment refunded.

Clarification from Presto about accessible gate at Dundas West:

@vgedris @TTChelps The TTC’s current accessible entrances are unable to interact with PRESTO. (1/2)

@vgedris @TTChelps The full PRESTO rollout includes retrofitting or replacing turnstiles to make sure everything is fully accessible. (2/2)

Ok but these are brand new turnstiles that they just installed.

Ok but these are brand new turnstiles that they just installed.
They installed brand-new accessible turn-styles? I haven't seen any of the new ones yet:
20140203-Barriers-Stintz.jpg

Maybe it's simply an old one refurbished and looking clean.

Attachments

• 20140203-Barriers-Stintz.jpg
    20140203-Barriers-Stintz.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 799
I didn't know there were new ones like that. But they re-did all the turnstiles at Dundas West a few weeks ago before the Presto roll-out.

They installed brand-new accessible turn-styles? I haven't seen any of the new ones yet:
View attachment 45793

Maybe it's simply an old one refurbished and looking clean.

It appears that Union will be the first with the new turnstiles. The North gates are being constructed right now and it appears as if there is one the same width as the accessible gate in the picture (or am I just hoping)

It appears that Union will be the first with the new turnstiles. The North gates are being constructed right now and it appears as if there is one the same width as the accessible gate in the picture (or am I just hoping)

Could easily be one of the regular accessible gates. They've replaced gates at Spadina and Dundas West recently but they're just the same as the old ones. The newer model is probably a ways off yet.

They replaced the gates at Scarborough Centre as well but no presto readers yet.

Surprised they didn't replace them with the new ones above. Doesn't make any sense as they are taking it apart anyways

They replaced the gates at Scarborough Centre as well but no presto readers yet.

Surprised they didn't replace them with the new ones above. Doesn't make any sense as they are taking it apart anyways

Not sure, probably something to do with Presto I would imagine. I would hope that at least the Spadina extension will have them from day 1.

Back