News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

The new PRESTO card is the next generation card that meets all or most of TTC requirements. The 2nd generation cards have PRESTO side way, not top-bottom.

If you don't have a card yet, you can get one free now, without paying the normal $6 fee.

Where do I go to get a card without a fee? Can I just replace the existing Presto card that I have for it?

The Next Generation card? It's not out yet. I don't think they've indicated how that will work yet.

OH, ok I thought you were referring to the next generation card that they'll be implementing in OC Transpo in the coming months (which apparently has PRESTOnext specifications for open payment in the future I'd assume.

Give me a few minutes and I'll track down the article that states this.

Yes, that's the one. It's not out yet. I don't think they've indicated how swapping will work yet. Presumably we'll find out in late fall ... which does given them about December 20th ... :)

PRESTO takes 3% of the transit systems revenue according to my source within a transit agency.
3% sounds about right.

TTC reported recently that the overall cost of fare collection is currently 7% of total passenger revenue, and that it would remain at 7% after Presto is implemented - and the only increase in cost would be temporary while they are in the midst of operating both systems simultaneously. Given that TTC will still have to have the ability to collect cash, plus maintain the various collection devices at stations, on vehicles, and at streetcar stops, that costing 4% on top of the stuff they'll no longer have to do (print passes, tickets, ship tokens and passes around the city, etc.)

That is why TTC does not want to go PRESTO
That makes no sense. Firstly, TTC is going with PRESTO - they've made that clear. Secondly, TTC has said it won't cost any more to go with PRESTO when fully implemented. Is this source just theorizing?

Just curious for those of you using Presto. Do you get a tax receipt for all travel taken on Presto or just the monthly pass equivalents?

Just curious for those of you using Presto. Do you get a tax receipt for all travel taken on Presto or just the monthly pass equivalents?

I've been wondering the same thing. I spoke with a Presto customer service representative ages ago, and they said the transit usage reports would be released in early February. To my knowledge, they still aren't available.

The receipt is detailed, listing all travel on all systems, whether you can claim it or not. It's up to you to figure out what you can, and can't claim.

3% sounds about right.

TTC reported recently that the overall cost of fare collection is currently 7% of total passenger revenue, and that it would remain at 7% after Presto is implemented - and the only increase in cost would be temporary while they are in the midst of operating both systems simultaneously. Given that TTC will still have to have the ability to collect cash, plus maintain the various collection devices at stations, on vehicles, and at streetcar stops, that costing 4% on top of the stuff they'll no longer have to do (print passes, tickets, ship tokens and passes around the city, etc.)

That makes no sense. Firstly, TTC is going with PRESTO - they've made that clear. Secondly, TTC has said it won't cost any more to go with PRESTO when fully implemented. Is this source just theorizing?

No. This source is a GM of a Ontario Transit System. I wasn't necessarily saying 3% for TTC, but just overall all the transit systems that use PRESTO have to pay 3% - hence why some like Guelph, Kitchener have not signed up for it.

No. This source is a GM of a Ontario Transit System. I wasn't necessarily saying 3% for TTC, but just overall all the transit systems that use PRESTO have to pay 3% - hence why some like Guelph, Kitchener have not signed up for it.

On the contrary, Grand River Transit is planning to sign up for Presto and to have it at least partially in place by 2014.

On the contrary, Grand River Transit is planning to sign up for Presto and to have it at least partially in place by 2014.

I already know that ;). They haven't signed up for it right NOW though, even with PRESTO now at each of those cities GO Stations. There are concerns from both these transit systems that need to be worked out i.e. University students UPass

I already know that ;). They haven't signed up for it right NOW though, even with PRESTO now at each of those cities GO Stations. There are concerns from both these transit systems that need to be worked out i.e. University students UPass
As someone who reports on the student union at Waterloo, let's not even go there. That is going to be a mess.

You were claiming that the Presto fees are why GRT hasn't gotten on board, and I see no evidence for that. They are planning to have a smart card system in place by the time they roll out the "aBRT" from Kitchener to Cambridge in 2014. As far as I know, there are no substantial internal barriers to joining Presto, apart from the implementation itself -- which has been approved as a budget issue.

Is a U-Pass really that big a deal with the second-generation (and open-payment) Presto system? Surely university IDs could be re-issued with an RFID chip.

Back