News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Short answer: NO

Long answer: You could even do it under today's technology, so NO.

You could even just get PRESTO to put a student pass on your PRESTO card (after they verify that you go to UW or WLU, etc) and then the Presto card, when tapped, would not deduct any fare, but it would provide some useful statistical information for the transit system, in adjusting it's services. Using a PRESTO card, cannot be anymore difficult than using a student card. Half the time students forget their ID.

I can see GRT being very interested in getting the U-pass onto a smart card. There are a lot of unexpired student cards floating around out there giving people free bus passes.

You were claiming that the Presto fees are why GRT hasn't gotten on board, and I see no evidence for that. They are planning to have a smart card system in place by the time they roll out the "aBRT" from Kitchener to Cambridge in 2014. As far as I know, there are no substantial internal barriers to joining Presto, apart from the implementation itself -- which has been approved as a budget issue.

Is a U-Pass really that big a deal with the second-generation (and open-payment) Presto system? Surely university IDs could be re-issued with an RFID chip.

Again to clarify, I said TTC, Kitchener and Guelph are reluctant to get TOTALLY on board (on all buses now, NOT JUST LRT and not in 2014) because it takes 3% of the revenue from already tight budgets where revenue is critical. GRT/Guelph don't get 70-80% at the farebox like TTC/GO Transit. The average in Ontario for municipal transit is more in the 50-60% range. Taking 3 % can/will be lot of dough gone on already slim revenue. If you include student riders (such as Guelph where half the transit ridership are students) it will cause the need for either cuts to servce, higher fares and / or more tax dollars.

Again to clarify, I said TTC, Kitchener and Guelph are reluctant to get TOTALLY on board (on all buses now, NOT JUST LRT and not in 2014) because it takes 3% of the revenue from already tight budgets where revenue is critical. GRT/Guelph don't get 70-80% at the farebox like TTC/GO Transit. The average in Ontario for municipal transit is more in the 50-60% range. Taking 3 % can/will be lot of dough gone on already slim revenue. If you include student riders (such as Guelph where half the transit ridership are students) it will cause the need for either cuts to servce, higher fares and / or more tax dollars.
As far as I understand, TTC and GRT are already on board fully (buses included). Guelph is the only agency that seems to have an issue.

And as far as I understand, the agencies are paying well more than 3% already in collection costs, and this is all relatively revenue neutral, other than start-up costs.

I think you are overplaying this argument, that only one very small transit agency seems to be making.

Also, didn't Guelph revamp their fare collection system not that long ago? This may simply have more to do with that than anything else. Toronto on the other hand was on the verge of revamping the fare collection system, but the new system got suspended when it became clear that Presto was coming to TTC.

For students in Mississauga, the problem with Presto is that student fare is restricted to age 13 to 19, but for Mississauga Transit student fare it's any age. If I'm 20+ year old university/college student in Mississauga, no way I would use Presto. If Presto can't even be felexible enough to adopt a specific agency's fare policy, then it will be failure.

On the other hand, Presto seems to have force Mississauga Transit to hand out 2 hour transfers instead of the usual 75, 90, or 105 minute transfer. So that's good

For students in Mississauga, the problem with Presto is that student fare is restricted to age 13 to 19, but for Mississauga Transit student fare it's any age. If I'm 20+ year old university/college student in Mississauga, no way I would use Presto. If Presto can't even be felexible enough to adopt a specific agency's fare policy, then it will be failure.
GO Transit also has discounts for post-secondary students. And their page for post-secondary students indicates that Presto is available. http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/tickettypes.aspx

There's also discussion on how post-secondary students have GO Student IDs.

Surely, if you've got your Presto card set for GO to a student because you are post-secondary student, you'll get the student fare on Mississauga transit as well. This doesn't seem to be a Presto issue - perhaps it's a Mississauga Transit issue?

This doesn't seem to be a Presto issue - perhaps it's a Mississauga Transit issue?

Whereas each transit agency sets their own fare policies, including who qualifies as a student, this is indeed a Mississauga Transit problem. It's tremendously easy to blame PRESTO, every minute someone does that is a minute not lobbying Mississauga Transit to change their policies.

That may or may not have been hyperbole - more analysis is needed.

GO Transit also has discounts for post-secondary students. And their page for post-secondary students indicates that Presto is available. http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/tickettypes.aspx

There's also discussion on how post-secondary students have GO Student IDs.

Surely, if you've got your Presto card set for GO to a student because you are post-secondary student, you'll get the student fare on Mississauga transit as well. This doesn't seem to be a Presto issue - perhaps it's a Mississauga Transit issue?

I was going by what it says on Presto website. It says nothing about restrictions for post-secondary. It says clearly that student fare for Presto is limited to ages 13-19. Mississauga Transit does not restrict student fare to ages 13-19.

I was going by what it says on Presto website. It says nothing about restrictions for post-secondary. It says clearly that student fare for Presto is limited to ages 13-19. Mississauga Transit does not restrict student fare to ages 13-19.
Clearly the information on the Metrolinx Presto site is out-of-date, or there wouldn't be extensive discussion on the Metrolinx Go Transit site on the procedures a post-secondary student takes to get their Presto card type changed to student.

This also means that if Mississauga Transit is not doing this, it's their choice, not Presto's. Presto's only issue is they haven't kept their site 100% current.

Has anyone actually tried to do this, or is this entirely a hypothetical debate?

Last edited:
Clearly the information on the Metrolinx Presto site is out-of-date, or there wouldn't be extensive discussion on the Metrolinx Go Transit site on the procedures a post-secondary student takes to get their Presto card type changed to student.

This also means that if Mississauga Transit is not doing this, it's their choice, not Presto's. Presto's only issue is they haven't kept their site 100% current.

Has anyone actually tried to do this, or is this entirely a hypothetical debate?

My daughter's Presto card carries student rates. She is, however, under 19 so not sure it answers anything.

Talking UNIVERSITY students here, they are NOT included in Presto atm.
There is a rate for High School students as per Prestocard.ca: Students: 13 to 19 years of age inclusive. Enrolled as a full time student. Photo ID with birth date and proof of enrolment required.

Talking UNIVERSITY students here, they are NOT included in Presto atm.
Yes they are. See Go Transit's page

Post-Secondary Student

Ticket Types Available
10-ride; Monthly pass, PRESTO
GO Student ID required

And also Go Transit's Presto page - www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/presto.aspx where it clearly states that "Get your PRESTO card FREE* at GO stations! ... Post-secondary school students without a current 10-ride ticket or monthly pass may show their valid GO Transit Student ID to take advantage of this offer."

Presto's site is out of date.

PRESTO supports students. It's up the the individual transit agency to define what a student is. PRESTO's site says what it says, but they don't set the policies - this individual transit agencies do.

If we're going to critique someone, lets critique them on how the service plays out in the real world - not on paper.

Back