News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Not my card (I used my ticket as always) this person is a friend who uses this route and I will have to ask him to forward it to me

If he took two buses then of course it would be split into two entries (actually four entries on the history). He also needs to look at the total charges and total refunds.

So to sum up, the guy adds money to the card, and nearly a week later it still hadn't loaded and ended up locking

It sounds like YRT is not pushing the PRESTO account data to their buses each night. Maybe because of the strike?

From my understanding, and it's rather complicated so I could still not have it right, the PRESTO servers record the online credit-card loads all day and then push them into the individual e-purses every night sometime after midnight, as opposed to pushing them to each e-purse at the same time the funds are received from an online credit card purchase. So if you add $20 online at 6:00pm and tap on at a balance checker a few minutes later, it will check the e-purse, but the servers will not have updated the ledger in the e-purse yet, so it will not add anything to the card's ledger. At 6:00am the next day however, the balance checker will see the $20 load in the e-purse and then add it to the card's ledger. This also works for fare payment terminals at GO stations and CSR desks as they are directly connected to the network and so receive the updates automatically each night (or possibly they check the actual e-purse on the PRESTO servers every time you tap, but they seem too react too fast to be doing this.)

What I don't know is exactly how and when terminals on buses find out e-purse info. I assume that they have a wi-fi connection to a network at the garage and the updated e-purse balances are automatically pushed to the terminals each night. But maybe someone has to manually tell a computer to do this? Or maybe it is manually done on each bus? If this step is skipped or not possible because the wi-fi network was down or the garage computers were off, there would be no way for the bus or the card to know a balance had been loaded.

Last edited:
It sounds like YRT is not pushing the PRESTO account data to their buses each night. Maybe because of the strike?

From my understanding, and it's rather complicated so I could still not have it right, the PRESTO servers record the online credit-card loads all day and then push them into the individual e-purses every night sometime after midnight, as opposed to pushing them to each e-purse at the same time the funds are received from an online credit card purchase. So if you add $20 online at 6:00pm and tap on at a balance checker a few minutes later, it will check the e-purse, but the servers will not have updated the ledger in the e-purse yet, so it will not add anything to the card's ledger. At 6:00am the next day however, the balance checker will see the $20 load in the e-purse and then add it to the card's ledger. This also works for terminals at GO stations and CSR desks as they are directly connected to the network and so receive the updates automatically each night.

What I don't know is exactly how and when terminals on buses find out e-purse info. I assume that they have a wi-fi connection to a network at the garage and the updated e-purse balances are automatically pushed to the terminals each night. But maybe someone has to manually tell a computer to do this? Or maybe it is manually done on each bus? If this step is skipped or not possible because the wi-fi network was down or the garage computers were off, there would be no way for the bus or the card to know a balance had been loaded.

You're pretty much correct. When you load the card at home, you send a message to every reader in the fleet to say "when you see my card, add money to it." If the bus is in the garage or it's a stationary reader, it will download those instructions right away (or whatever) and look for your card. If the bus is on the road, it will not download the instructions until it comes back to the garage.

The CSRs place the balance directly on the card, which is why the balance is available right away.

I believe it is wi-fi or bluetooth or some other short-range wireless technology. The buses with electronic fare readers use this technology to upload the sales data, so it probably happens when the that data is retrieved.

If he took two buses then of course it would be split into two entries (actually four entries on the history). He also needs to look at the total charges and total refunds.

There is a huge error with PRESTO. In this case it made it split into 2 trips instead of one seamless trip as claimed on PRESTO's website. The date shows they did this 6 times since December within the 2.5 hr transfer time. He is going to clairfy with PRESTO.

There is a huge error with PRESTO. In this case it made it split into 2 trips instead of one seamless trip as claimed on PRESTO's website. The date shows they did this 6 times since December within the 2.5 hr transfer time. He is going to clairfy with PRESTO.
Might be better talking to GO then PRESTO. I've find PRESTO's staff on the phone (are are subcontractors who work for Accenture), generally very useless in dealing with problems. The best they can do is have GO contact you.

If one has time, the GO staff in Union station (go to the customer service desk around the corner, not the ticket queue) are much better at this stuff.

Hang on though ... you say 2.5 hour transfer time. It's not the transfer time that's 2.5 hours. It's the time to complete the trip. Now I'm not sure if they count the 2.5 hours as from first tap-on, to final tap-off, or from first tap-on to final tap-on ... do either of these values exceed 2.5 hours?

Cutting and pasting a piece of the transaction history here might help us figure out if it's working properly or not.

The guy at lrt.daxack.ca replied to a comment I made, with a very interesting bombshell...

Cal said:
I suspect that the definition of “update properly” might be an issue. The Presto representative couldn’t understand why the load did not occur, while YRT was of the opinion that a manual load could take up to five business days. I’m not trying to make excuses for them - I’m the one who generally goes after the smallest overcharges on things!

I have never heard of that, and their website makes absolutely no mention of it at all!

Just a thought: with the MOU between the city and province holding on by a thread at the moment, and seemingly unlikely to survive, what will this mean for Presto and the TTC? Part of the understanding was that the TTC was to go fully online with the card, but if the MOU is voted down at council, does this mean that Presto will go down with it and that open payment will become an option for the TTC again?

Just a thought: with the MOU between the city and province holding on by a thread at the moment, and seemingly unlikely to survive, what will this mean for Presto and the TTC? Part of the understanding was that the TTC was to go fully online with the card, but if the MOU is voted down at council, does this mean that Presto will go down with it and that open payment will become an option for the TTC again?
I doubt that Presto will have anything to do with what comes up for debate. I'm not aware of any faction in council to change what has been approved. And unlike the Eglinton Crosstown and Sheppard Subway, there have been TTC votes to proceed; and council votes on the budget to proceed (no council votes on budget for Eglinton and Sheppard, because the $ all flow from the province).

This popped up in my Facebook feed:

Student Life Centre (University of Waterloo: GO Transit fares are increasing February 18th - beat the fare increase and buy your 10 Rides and Monthly Passes early! Plus PRESTO is coming to the SLC soon!
SLC: We will be able to load funds, check balances and resolve issues involving locked out cards!
SLC: Final install of terminal during reading week, - should launch in early March.

Student Life Centre (University of Waterloo: GO Transit fares are increasing February 18th - beat the fare increase and buy your 10 Rides and Monthly Passes early! Plus PRESTO is coming to the SLC soon!
SLC: We will be able to load funds, check balances and resolve issues involving locked out cards!
SLC: Final install of terminal during reading week, - should launch in early March.

To bad the PRESTO machine won't be up at Kitchener station until 'Spring" - whenever that is lol

To bad the PRESTO machine won't be up at Kitchener station until 'Spring" - whenever that is lol

Makes me glad that I take VIA into Toronto and GO back... love my presto card, but if I couldn't use it on the way to the city, it'd be pretty pointless.

Why would they need PRESTO machines in the SLC if the GO bus driver could just do all that stuff on the bus himself with the bus' presto machine?

Why would they need PRESTO machines in the SLC if the GO bus driver could just do all that stuff on the bus himself with the bus' presto machine?

So that they don't delay the bus and they can leave on-time.

There are already GO ticketing services in the SLC, so putting Presto services there makes sense.
Secondly, with the incredible lineups that occur on Fridays for getting onto the GO busses, they need to streamline the boarding process as much as possible. This is probably why the University is getting Presto before the Train station; there are simply many more boardings happening there.

Back