News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

!

That sounds positively absurd. Banks don't charge you for issuing you a fresh plastic card -- why would Metrolinx? It's impossible to not have a balance on an active Presto card -- unless something has changed, the card kills itself and requires a trip to Union whenever the balance disappears.

It's built into the service fees associated with your accounts. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean the bank doesn't charge you for it.

Also, you can get PRESTO services at any staffed GO station and most transit terminals operated by the local systems. Can we let the "you have to go to Union" thing die already?

!

That sounds positively absurd. Banks don't charge you for issuing you a fresh plastic card -- why would Metrolinx? It's impossible to not have a balance on an active Presto card -- unless something has changed, the card kills itself and requires a trip to Union whenever the balance disappears.

Funny you should mention that. CIBC and PCFinancial just started charging $4.97 for a replacement card if you have lost more than one that year.

How do we know Presto cards won't be replaced for free when they age past their expiry dates? The oldest ones out there won't be expiring for what, another 3.5, 4 years?
We don't.

And what happens with "damaged" cards? If your card suddenly stops working, presumably the replace it for free. Perhaps there's a trick to fry the innards 6-months before it expires, and get a free replacement, which would be good for another 5 years.

From the "Terms and Conditions":

You agree to pay to PRESTO an issuing fee of $6.00 (the “Issuing Feeâ€) for each PRESTO Card issued to you. You agree that the term of
each PRESTO Card is from the date of issuance of the PRESTO card to the expiry date noted on the back of your PRESTO Card (the “Termâ€).
Upon the issuance and activation of a new Registered PRESTO Card any remaining balance on the expired Registered PRESTO Card can be
transferred to the new Registered PRESTO Card

This makes me think they will bill you for the $6 no matter what happens.

I had a defective card replaced for free...

Yes, I would expect that. I should have specified that I think when a card expires they will charge you $6 to transfer the balance to a new one.

Yes, I would expect that. I should have specified that I think when a card expires they will charge you $6 to transfer the balance to a new one.
Hence the suggestion to find a device that will "break" the card at 4.5 years. Has to be more subtle than a hole punch ...

Personally I'd think it wouldn't be worth the effort ... but I've heard that there are card holders who are so concerned about the cost, that they worry about the $20 minimum sitting on their card!

Finally made the leap and got a PRESTO card. I live within walking distance to the 60 Steeles West bus and take the subway downtown to a station with PRESTO machines.

A few remarks about the startup process:

Very easy to pay online and load your card....but I find it very confusing how it takes 24 hours to actually load onto the system, not to mention the whole deal with registering your card and require using the card within 7 days of registration.

I know a lot about the PRESTO implementation and how it works and was well aware of the delays that are to be experienced with loading and registering the card, but I found myself getting very worried and confused about what exactly was going on with my card.

For instance, I loaded my card late one evening ($20), and had to use cash fare for my trip to work (because I was taking the bus, so no PRESTO), but in the evening before returning from work I checked my balance online and noticed it was $0 but decided to give the card a try anyway. This is where it got confusing for me. When I tapped my card it worked and let me onto the system, so I figured wow the transaction must have finally gone through, but when I got home I checked online and it said that I had $0 on my account and that my card was not active.

I was aware that this was not a problem because I actively read these forums, but I have to say that the experience for setting up the card and registering are VERY user unfriendly. I'm not an expert on these central systems for payment, but I imagine there must be a way to get transactions and registrations processed faster than 24 hr intervals, i.e. Charlie card in Boston where you pay for the card and load it with an amount and can use it right away.

Apart from that, I am very very pleased with my PRESTO card and I like the online transaction history. I also like the convenience of not having to carry cash for transit, unless i'm going to be taking the TTC bus/ streetcars/ non-presto subway stations. I can't wait for this to be implemented across the TTC. I think there's something to be said for implementing PRESTO across the province full-out to make it easier to divide gas tax money (considering it's based on transit ridership/ use) I think PRESTO could be a very integral and valuable tool for the province in determining transit funding and for analyzing where improvements need to be made (i.e. see which lines throughout the province have high ridership.)

I wanted to mention. I really like how when you tap on a bus you aren't given a physical paper receipt. I recently came back from a trip in Spain to visit some family, and while we were in Barcelona and other northern cities we purchased their version of the PRESTO card when we were in each city. It was annoying how every time we tapped onto a bus we would be given a physical paper receipt. These transit agencies did allow multiple ppl to use one card, (i.e. tap the same card numerous times when boarding a bus to pay for 3 or 4 ppl). I think this could be useful implemented on the TTC; although I guess they don't allow this because then the # of rides per month on each card would be skewed upwards allowing more ppl to be eligible for the tax rebate even though it is only meant for one person who takes 40 rides or more per month.

I agree about the user unfriendliness of Presto. I loaded money onto it last week because I knew there was a possibility of me taking GO, but then I didn't. I know it says you have 30 days, but I do not like how I have to go to a machine to get my deposit on my card. That's stupid.

I agree about the user unfriendliness of Presto. I loaded money onto it last week because I knew there was a possibility of me taking GO, but then I didn't. I know it says you have 30 days, but I do not like how I have to go to a machine to get my deposit on my card. That's stupid.

Perhaps the next phase will allow every bus driver in the region to load money onto your card. That would be an interesting debate on convenience vs speeding up the buses.

Perhaps the next phase will allow every bus driver in the region to load money onto your card. That would be an interesting debate on convenience vs speeding up the buses.

Given the fact that Burlington old card pass system allowed riders to load their card on the buses as well GFI odyssey fareboxes of other systems, it was more convenience for a rider to do it on the bus than try finding an agent place to load the card.

It only took a few seconds to load the card if the rider had their card ready as well their method of payment.

If there is only a few riders doing this at one time, very short delay. If you have a line up, it will take longer, but still out weight paying by tickets or cash.

I load by card at the GO Station and have a set bottom number before Presto calls my bank to top up.

The check balance read is too fast for displaying your balance so you can read it.

MBTA(Boston) allows riders to load money on buses. It seemed to be a fairly simple process, the riders loads the card, not the driver - press white button on farebox, tap card, insert money, press white button again, tap card, and the card is loaded. It definitely is a convenience, and I did not notice significant delays, and I rode a few of the busier routes in the Boston area. It seemed like second nature to riders on loading up the Charlie Card. I did notice a few who were unfamiliar on how to load the card, but they simply waited until everyone boarded the bus, and paid, and the driver talked them through the process.

Of course, I am not sure if Presto machines are set up so it's riders that can load the card, and not the driver.

Does GO cheat you out of money with PRESTO? If I took the BUS from U of Guelph to Cooksville, and then the Cooksville to Union TRAIN, I'd be paying two different fares instead of the one I get now between Guelph and Union. (Roughly 14$ vs 11$ ow)

Does GO cheat you out of money with PRESTO? If I took the BUS from U of Guelph to Cooksville, and then the Cooksville to Union TRAIN, I'd be paying two different fares instead of the one I get now between Guelph and Union. (Roughly 14$ vs 11$ ow)

That is not how it is supposed to work, and not how it does in other places I transfer from bus to train. An oddity of PRESTO on GO is that it will deduct the base fare ($4.20) a second time when you make a transfer, but it will refund that when you end your trip. As an example it would work something like this:

Board train - PRESTO deducts $4.20
Exit train - PRESTO deducts $3.00
Transfer to bus - PRESTO deducts $4.20
Exit bus - PRESTO returns $3.75

Note that this means when you transfer to the bus you must have $4.20 left on the card. You cannot ever tap on to a GO vehicle or at a station without at elast that amount, even if in the end your fare will be less. It won't let you go into negative to pay the $4.20 either.

Last edited:

Back