News   Jul 15, 2024
 29     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 531     0 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

Try over 10,000 units. The LCBO Lands alone are expected to house around 10,000 people. You have Tridel's complex of 5 buildings, a college campus, significant employment space of several million square feet, thousands of condo units in One Yonge, LCBO Lands, Daniels Lakeshore, 215 Lake Shore, Tridel's Lower Donlands, the next waterfront Toronto phase which is looking for a development partner right now, etc.

Today the the East Bayfront has a school, office, and condo. By the time the LRT is built, it will have far, far more. You cannot underestimate the growth of residential, employment, and institutional uses in the area. It is critically important a proper transit link is constructed.

And basically that's it for subways according to this. Scarborough, DRL, Richmond Hill and then Sheppard West. What happens if Doug Ford gets elected? :)

The Sheppard East LRT is likely a placeholder on their map until the review is complete with the City. A hybrid subway/LRT solution on the east side would certainly be my guess. Otherwise almost guaranteed we will likely see Mikey Ford or similar in 9 to 15 years highlighting the extra transfer cause and missing link in the loop. The subway portion will likely end up in the post 2041 or bundled with Sheppard West if the politics can resolve in time to do so. I just can't see this line being reintroduced to proceed "as-was" without some serious political drama.

Last edited:
Try over 10,000 units. The LCBO Lands alone are expected to house around 10,000 people. You have Tridel's complex of 5 buildings, a college campus, significant employment space of several million square feet, thousands of condo units in One Yonge, LCBO Lands, Daniels Lakeshore, 215 Lake Shore, Tridel's Lower Donlands, the next waterfront Toronto phase which is looking for a development partner right now, etc.

Today the the East Bayfront has a school, office, and condo. By the time the LRT is built, it will have far, far more. You cannot underestimate the growth of residential, employment, and institutional uses in the area. It is critically important a proper transit link is constructed.

LOL and that's supposed to sway me? Try 25,000 units built and under construction and a shopping centre coming soon.

Too bad the DRL west is considered so long range. It would be a huge boost for the thousands of people living on the west side of Downtown, and that population is still growing very quickly.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I know Toronto City Planning desires to begin detailed planning for that project, as soon as they wrap up planning for Relief Line Long. We just witnessed the Relief Line Long go from crazy fantasy to the most urgent priority in the span of a few months, so we all know how quickly plans can change around here.

And basically that's it for subways according to this. Scarborough, DRL, Richmond Hill and then Sheppard West. What happens if Doug Ford gets elected? :)

"Thats all"? Thats a 45% increase over what the subway system will be in 2018. It will be a 63% increase over today. And that isn't even including the underground portion of the Eglinton LRT. With that it is a 79% increase. Add in the DRL West, you are looking at a 90% increase in system length.

Not complaining. Just interesting to me that no other corridors planned. And where exactly do they mention DRL West? Or do you mean its pushed beyond 2041?

Regardless of how much the system expands, I don't consider the system complete until Relief Line West is completed. Network length doesn't matter if the subways are in the wrong place.

And they want a Sheppard Subway West extension before the DRL West? What are these people smoking?

And they want a Sheppard Subway West extension before the DRL West? What are these people smoking?

If I recall earlier discussions, Sheppard West was cheap and gave them access to Wilson. That was the purpose for it. But who knows with construction inflation these days....

Humber Bay Shores already exceed that number, with many more to come once the Christie lands get started. But again, nothing from Metrolinx.

demand patterns are different. Much more auto reliance and more dispersed trips in Humber Bay than East Bayfront - The LRT in East Bayfront would see far higher ridership than from Humber Bay Shores.

Plus the big difference is the institutional and large employment uses in East Bayfront that are lacking in Humber Bay. This is more so the real driver of need for East Bayfront - the residential uses are secondary.

I will be super stoked if waterfront west LRT goes to Hurontario. It annoyed me greatly that it terminated at Long Branch.

I will be super stoked if waterfront west LRT goes to Hurontario. It annoyed me greatly that it terminated at Long Branch.
It will be in your dream as it will never go there unless TTC changes gauges. Its not even in any 2041 transit plan at this time. Long Branch Loop will be upgraded to a Hub.

I found Metrolinx transit plan based on most lines drawn on a map years ago with no timetable for them as well a ranking. Time the writer of this report look for a new job since they have fail badly on a number of things and has no real vision where Metrolinx should be going as well how to get there.

East Bayfront LRT is a 2041 vision at this time.

It will be in your dream as it will never go there unless TTC changes gauges. Its not even in any 2041 transit plan at this time. Long Branch Loop will be upgraded to a Hub.

I found Metrolinx transit plan based on most lines drawn on a map years ago with no timetable for them as well a ranking. Time the writer of this report look for a new job since they have fail badly on a number of things and has no real vision where Metrolinx should be going as well how to get there.

East Bayfront LRT is a 2041 vision at this time.

Why must you crush my dreams

Back