News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

Is this really going to happen? I thought it was 2013. Kudos to you all if you succeeded!

The work on the financing tools was to begin in the first half of 2009, and the report is due in late 2010, early 2011. The original plan was to start research in 2013 and report back in 2015.

I'm very proud that we were able to get the board to reconsider on this issue. I know that it's one thing that people were very vocal about and it and while it's not as sexy as a subways for all policy, it shows that the plan wasn't set in stone from the get-go.

Excellent move. They need to put in long-term financing that is free from political interference the next time someone something like Harris get's elected.

The work on the financing tools was to begin in the first half of 2009, and the report is due in late 2010, early 2011. The original plan was to start research in 2013 and report back in 2015.

Great. This is, in fact, a cornerstone of the transit expansion strategy.

I couldn't find a thread about the (pretty minor) 2013 Big Move update.

Metrolinx dropped the 284 page (22 MB) whopper of a draft 2018 Big Move update on Monday. It will be discussed at this weeks board meeting. See http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20170914/20170914_BoardMtg_RTP_Report_EN.pdf

Unlike 2013, this sees some major changes and additions.

This time, there's no 15-year or 25-year plans.

There is:
  • Existing and In-Delivery (TYSSE, SSE, Finch West LRT, Sheppard East LRT, Eglinton, etc.)
  • In-Development (Yonge Subway, DRL East Yonge to Sheppard), Eglinton West LRT to YYZ, Eglinton East LRT to Sheppard, etc., Waterfront West LRT to Hurontario, Waterfront East LRT)
  • Detailed Proposed 2041 (Sheppard West Subway, Bloor/Yonge station upgrade, Sheppard East LRT extension to Meadowvale, Finch West LRT extensions to YYZ and Finch/Yonge, 15-minute service on Milton GO (Union to Milton). Plus a series of corridors that may be either BRT or LRT:
    - Jane (Bloor to Steeles)
    - Jane North (Highway 7 to Major MacKenzie)
    - Don Mills/Leslie (Sheppard to Highway 7)
    - Leslie North (Highway 7 to Major MacKenzie)
    - McCowan (Ellesmere to Steeles)
    - Trafalger (Oakvile GO to 407)
    - Hurontario (Steeles to Brampton GO - that right, might be BRT, LOL at Bramton)
    - Simcoe (New Oshawa GO to 407)
    - Steeles (Pioneer Village station to Milliken GO)
    - Major MacKenzie (Jane to Leslie)
Then almost as an afterthought is a list of post-2041 projects:
  • Bolton rail service (Union Station to Bolton)
  • Dundas West – Summerhill rail service
  • Havelock rail service (Union/Summerhill to Locust Hill)
  • Seaton rail service (Union/Summerhill to Seaton)
  • Richmond Hill 15-minute GO Service
  • Highway 407 Transitway
  • DRL West Extension (Osgoode to Bloor West)
Transit City still lives, with all the original seven lines seemingly complete and intact, other than the Scarborough-Malvern LRT is now an express bus north of Sheppard from Sheppard/Markham to Sheppard/Morningside on Page 22 but LRT on page A-23 . Does that make Waterfront East from Yonge to Coxwell via Commissioners and Leslie part of Transit City? :)

Here's the 3 maps. Starting with the most interesting one first. 2041.

upload_2017-9-12_2-0-13.png

In Development
upload_2017-9-12_2-1-41.png

Existing and In Delivery
upload_2017-9-12_2-2-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-12_2-0-13.png
    upload_2017-9-12_2-0-13.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 437
  • upload_2017-9-12_2-1-41.png
    upload_2017-9-12_2-1-41.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 403
  • upload_2017-9-12_2-2-57.png
    upload_2017-9-12_2-2-57.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 430
Wrong thread perhaps, but nobody is commenting on the Waterfront East + West LRTs. Will these be the 2 LRT lines recommended as part of Waterfront Reset Study?

yes. The idea I believe is that Waterfront East is going to be pushed quickly due to the development pressure while Waterfront West can wait a bit.

Oakville already started the EA for the Trafalgar BRT in 2009. They finished the EA in 2015, with curbside BRT lanes as the chosen solution. If Metrolinx wants a quicker win Big Move Project....

Last edited:
Also, no 33, the Dundas West Priority Bus (aka a Zum aBRT-esque project) from Bronte Street to Brant Street, also finished their EA in 2015. LINK.

What's odd though is the above is "Section 3" of Dundas. Section 1 and 2 are presumably the 403 to Brant Street section, but I can't find anything online about it.

BEST plan ever. Sheppard West subway 2041

And basically that's it for subways according to this. Scarborough, DRL, Richmond Hill and then Sheppard West. What happens if Doug Ford gets elected? :)

"Thats all"? Thats a 45% increase over what the subway system will be in 2018. It will be a 63% increase over today. And that isn't even including the underground portion of the Eglinton LRT. With that it is a 79% increase. Add in the DRL West, you are looking at a 90% increase in system length.

"Thats all"? Thats a 45% increase over what the subway system will be in 2018. It will be a 63% increase over today. And that isn't even including the underground portion of the Eglinton LRT.

Not complaining. Just interesting to me that no other corridors planned. And where exactly do they mention DRL West? Or do you mean its pushed beyond 2041?

Back