News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

I'm no IT expert, but could the rush on the fare document have crashed the site?

Could this be our fault???:rolleyes:
Looks to me like they rushed to secure it and ended up breaking the site and were unable to fix it.

Looking at page source, it looks like it's Sharepoint-based. From past experience, it can be a finicky beast.

CN has announced that the shutdown of the Metrolinx page is weather related and not, repeat not, their fault.

GO has responded by announcing that there are delays on some lines and that you will get a text message announcing each delay 15 minutes after the delay has been resolved.

....and the Leafs have still not won the cup.

The Metrolinx site is back, but absent the entire agenda section.

The handful of links to agenda documents from the home page work, though, so you can get last Friday's agenda and supporting documents (other than the controversial fare integration one) now if you want to.

Metrolinx report leak shows its failure to grasp

JOHN BARBER

jbarber@globeandmail.com

January 20, 2009

Poor Metrolinx, whatever it is. It gets no respect.

As an agency established by the provincial government to oversee all aspects of regional transportation in Greater Toronto and Hamilton, this expert outfit should be on deck barking orders as the ship of state navigates the treacherous straits of infrastructure. Instead, it is skulking below decks, complaining that it has nothing to do.

Metrolinx malaise turned to comedy last week when its officials first published and then frantically suppressed an especially petulant outburst masquerading as a sober discussion of fare integration. A report intended for discussion at last Friday's board meeting, it was no sooner out than it was gone - deleted simultaneously from the agenda and the agency's website amid a chorus of "no comments."

But while it existed, last week's "progress report" revealed all.

To understand, it helps to recall the creation of Metrolinx three years ago, which former transport minister Harinder Takhar announced against a backdrop of buses from the fleets of nine different municipal operators. The new agency, he promised, would replace the balkanized status quo with "seamless transit" from one end of the city region to the other.

Since then, Metrolinx has drawn attention mainly for its role as a planning agency, a kind of halfway house where former provincial bureaucrats and their favourite consultants can devise pie-in-sky policy the government remains free to reject. The peek-a-boo progress report documents the agency's failure to achieve even its most modest operational goals - in this case, solutions to long-standing problems on two borderland bus routes.

The suppressed report declaims indignantly about the injuries done to "the universal taxpayer" when Mississauga buses drive past Toronto customers on their way to Islington Station, and when empty York Region buses shadow crowded TTC buses on Route 196 to Downsview Station. These are ancient irritants, indeed, the two most obvious examples of the problems Metrolinx was set up to fix.

But after three years of negotiating, it failed to achieve the slightest change in the status quo. Predictably, the report blames the TTC for finally putting an end to the long, tiresome process. The fact is that Job One produced zero results. The impediments to seamless transit, mainly a matter of union rules, remain firmly in place.

But the revealing part is the conclusion Metrolinx draws from this abject failure. Inspired by frustration with two minor technical problems, the suppressed report recommends the provincial government give the agency sweeping powers to dictate transit fares and routes throughout the urban region. Rather than admitting its failure to rationalize fares on two bus routes, the suppressed report transforms its embarrassment into a jurisdictional casus belli.

The best you can say about these guys is that they had enough sense to pull the curtains when they did, lest more of the public be exposed to their naked thoughts.

But who are they? Former Burlington mayor Rob MacIsaac, original Metrolinx front man, had the good sense to resign after the big plan was done - and oblivion beckoned. Disregarding all the signatures at the bottom of mysteriously suppressed reports, it is now a leaderless bureaucracy floating in limbo. Its signature initiative, an all-system fare card, is going nowhere as fast as TTC riders on Burnhamthorpe.

But at least it isn't running GO Transit, as Mr. Takhar et al once promised it would.

These are really small issues in the large scheme of things ...
I'm a york student and I have to wait for the 196 everyday so I know exactly what they're referring to. It wouldn't be that simple to fix either way, you'd need to move the 196 stop to where the Viva buses stop. When you think of the entire system, there are very few routes that overlap like this.

Either way ... these are two small issues, I'm not sure how you jump from this to metrolinx is a complete failure.

Moreover ... and this gets me ... why does the TTC get all the blame here?

When TTC buses go North into York region they are contracted out, you need to pay double fair. I'm sure if the situation was reversed the other transit agencies wouldn't want to see there ridership decreased by letting other transit agencies pick up their customers. Of course YRT and MT are all for this ... they'll get extra customers ............

This is fascinating:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090227.wmetrolinx27/BNStory/National/

Steve Munro's thoughts:

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=1874

I'm not entirely surprised, personally. While Metrolinx did a lot of public consultation, I have a hard time seeing where it made any difference in the final RTP. It's clear that political issues influenced the final result (e.g. no discussion of funding strategies at this point) but public consultation seems to have had very little difference. Certainly the public meeting I attended in November seemed almost purely informational.

Last edited:
In regards to Steve Munro's comments on the Advisory Committee:

There was no gag order.
I know because I didn't sign one.

We weren't expected to support the RTP.
We support it because we all believed that it the best plan to move forward upon. Could it be better? Of course it could, but the most transformative improvements would require changes in the enabling legislation to give the agency the power to control more locally-oriented services. Given the tools and recognizing that I don't think it should wade into the technology debate, is it the best plan to move forward upon? Yes.

We were free to dissent.
We convinced the board to look at new funding tools immediately, rather than in 2013 as they originally planned. This will ensure the long term viability of the plan instead of leaving it chance 5 years from now. We also initiated the discussion on placing non-political experts on the board of directors. If that isn't dissenting from the establishment then I'm not to sure what is.

We are not trained seals.
This disappoints me.

While I know you to have a good deal of integrity and I trust you when you say this, it's Friday afternoon and something compels me to point out that if you had signed a gag order, you probably wouldn't be at liberty to say that you'd signed one. :)

Bingo! (Cool! Phantom message quote!)

If anything, there was an understanding that we would give Metrolinx our suggestions and allow them time to respond before taking them public. I don't consider this a gag order. I consider this a gentlemans (gentlewomans?) agreement and an act of common courtesy. Gag Order implies a legally binding agreement not to say anything, ever.

I really respect Steve. He's earned my respect through his years of work in the community. However I must also point out that he's written the article in such a way that defending myself is giving further proof that I'm a trained seal.:rolleyes:

Harp harp.

Back