News   Mar 28, 2024
 137     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 656     0 

Meridian Hall/The Sony Centre will always be the O'Keefe Centre

They have now installed signage in and over the 'garden' at corner of Front & Yonge. - sorry no photo. That piece of garden was rather useless and there is still some left . This 'park' is a Claude Cormier project and certainly not up to his magnificent Berczy and his planned Love Park @ York & Queen's Quay. It was a result of L-Tower construction - and part of their site plan - so I blame them!
ED40F729-60D6-48C6-BA8B-D669A89A2AE6.jpeg
C2E76444-E419-4B35-835F-9F750F88FF14.jpeg

I wonder if there might be any opportunities in the future to eliminate the drop-off curbs entirely, and make it a soft programmed public space?

From Report to Board, September 2020. https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ct/bgrd/backgroundfile-156210.pdf

In the late spring of 2020, it was discovered that water was penetrating the MAC from its roof. A localized repair of the roof was completed at a cost of approximately $15,000. The repair required moderate portions of the roof to be exposed to the concert slab. This allowed for a detailed inspection of two portions of the roof. Contractors conducting the repair documented the roof to be in very poor condition, likely from deficiencies in the original installation and general wear and aging. With the remainder of the roof being the same age and installed by the same contractor as the damaged portions, it is reasonable to conclude the specific concerns discovered in the repair area are present in most other areas. Management anticipates continued issues with the roof that, if not addressed, could lead to continued water penetration which can result in mould growth, structural degradation, equipment and cosmetic damage. While there are currently no other visible signs of water penetrations, TO Live has begun discussions with Financial Planning at the City to address the anticipated replacement need. Options include identifying funding to launch an RFP for a project architect in 2020 to begin design and determining if the entire construction cost of the project can be brought, "above the line" in 2021 and beyond within the City's regular budget process.

NOTE TO MODS: Maybe add MERIDIAN to title so it indexes??

Getting somewhat off-topic, but since this was there last night, advertised as something for kids, and there were some there,
MrdnHl_11Jan2024.JPG

it made me wonder if kids today would even be familiar with these cartoons? I see occasional references to them on this forum and elsewhere,
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...7m-74s-concord-adex-arcadis.6394/post-1950808
but I think it might have been two or three decades since these were regularly shown on TV, and most were made in the 1940s and 50s, so more than a little outdated. Not that I was shocked or offended or anything like that, but their casual cartoon violence is maybe slightly startling after not having seen them in so long.
Giovanni_Jones_Bugs Bunny.jpg

Last edited:

Back