News   May 02, 2024
 81     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   May 02, 2024
 537     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Isn't there a clothing drop box location, a fence dispute or a tree removal we can debate instead? LOL
Clearly not, they are now up to EIGHT motions with Crisanti, Holyday, Pasternak and Nunziata also not wanting any of 'their parks' to have any alcohol. . I will post when all is done.

EDIT:

I think we finally had 12 motions. Staff Recommendations passed (20-4) and so did the all the votes on ADDING extra Parks. None of the motions for Wards where the Councillors wanted NO alcohol passed (usually defeated by one or two votes.) It took hours!

Screenshot 2024-04-18 172645.jpg

Last edited:
Council are again talking about alcohol in parks and, as one might expect, it is taking hours. So far we have 3 motions

Motions (City Council)​

1 - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Brad Bradford (Final)
That City Council amend Economic and Community Development Committee recommendation 1 to include the following additional parks in Ward 19, Beaches-East York:

a. Stan Wadlow Park, 373 Cedarvale Avenue; and

b. East Lynn Park, 1949 Danforth Avenue.

2. Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Paula Fletcher (Final)
That City Council amend Economic and Community Development Committee recommendation 1 to include Dieppe Park, 455 Cosburn Avenue, in Ward 14, Toronto-Danforth.

3 - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor James Pasternak (Final)
That City Council direct that no parks in Ward 6, York Centre, be designated for personal alcohol consumption.

Disappointing to see the sluggish pace of the inevitable city-wide adoption of alcohol in parks.

I suspect some councillors are receiving pushback from certain cultural communities, where alcohol consumption, particularly in parks, is seen as taboo or frowned upon. It's interesting that Detonia Park, a large east end park that regularly hosts cultural festivals like Eid, is excluded from the list, while other parks of similar size in the area are included.

Not too surprising and certainly shows that one should not jump to assumptions before knowing all the facts.

A man accused of fatally running over a Toronto police officer has been found not guilty.

Umar Zameer pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Det. Const. Jeffrey Northrup, who died on July 2, 2021 after he was hit by a vehicle in an underground parking garage at Toronto City Hall.

Zameer and his family members burst into tears when the verdict was read out.

The facts that Zameer ran over Northrup and caused his death were not in dispute. Rather, the case centred on whether Zameer meant to hit Northrup – or even knew it happened – and whether he knew Northrup and his partner, who were in plain clothes, were police officers.

Prosecutors alleged Zameer knew Northrup was an officer and drove directly at him, while the defence argued Zameer thought he and his family were being attacked by robbers and tried to escape in the safest way possible.

Jurors returned with a verdict on the fourth day of deliberations, during which they asked three questions.

Reactions: PL1
Not too surprising and certainly shows that one should not jump to assumptions before knowing all the facts.

A man accused of fatally running over a Toronto police officer has been found not guilty.

Umar Zameer pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Det. Const. Jeffrey Northrup, who died on July 2, 2021 after he was hit by a vehicle in an underground parking garage at Toronto City Hall.

Zameer and his family members burst into tears when the verdict was read out.

The facts that Zameer ran over Northrup and caused his death were not in dispute. Rather, the case centred on whether Zameer meant to hit Northrup – or even knew it happened – and whether he knew Northrup and his partner, who were in plain clothes, were police officers.

Prosecutors alleged Zameer knew Northrup was an officer and drove directly at him, while the defence argued Zameer thought he and his family were being attacked by robbers and tried to escape in the safest way possible.

Jurors returned with a verdict on the fourth day of deliberations, during which they asked three questions.

You appear to be quoting a news story; can you provide the link please?

From the Star's story, Ford and Tory owe this poor guy an apology at the very least:
The jury’s decision also rejects the high-profile public narrative that emerged immediately after Northrup — a beloved veteran officer in downtown 52 Division’s major crime unit — was killed. At the time, then-interim police Chief James Ramer told the media, “We believe this was an intentional, deliberate act.”

Later, Zameer was subject to further scorn when he was granted bail in a rare decision for such a serious case. Premier Doug Ford said that ruling was “beyond comprehension” while then-Mayor John Tory said it was “almost impossible to imagine” why Zameer would be released.

From the Star's story, Ford and Tory owe this poor guy an apology at the very least:

Looking at the key facts here.

Zameer (the accused, now found not guilty) had no criminal record and was not known to police at all.
He was approaching his vehicle, in a mostly deserted parking garage sometime close to midnight.
Inside the vehicle, his pregnant wife and very young child
Then, 2 strangers, not in police uniform, appear out of nowhere and move towards him and his car at speed.
He suspects danger and moves to get in the car and lock the doors.
The strangers begin banging on his car, loudly, and cause his young child to cry
He panics and tries to drive off
An unmarked police van cuts him off, he take a series of evasive actions during which the plainclothes officer was hit and killed.

The only facts in dispute was whether the police identified themselves; and whether or not Zameer intentionally ran over the officer, or did so unintentionally in the course of trying to escape what he thought was a robbery or worse.

Looking at the above, this really falls on very poor police conduct.
That the officer who was killed may well have been a very nice guy who meant no harm but to do his job here, is tragic, but self-inflicted.
I think any reasonable person would perceive the actions of these plain clothes individuals are comparable to carjackers, and respond in a similar way.
That the police seem obtuse about that is deeply disturbing.

That by all accounts police then chose to lie about how things unfolded, under oath, in court, providing testimony that is in conflict with evidence from security cameras and experts on accident reconstruction is beyond disturbing.

Sadly, one imagines the deceitful officers will not be punished/removed from their force, as their chief has come out already saying he hoped for a different verdict (which is to say, he hoped for the conviction of an innocent man, based on the lying testimony of his officers).

The chief should, but I don't imagine will resign.

Last edited:
Looking at the key facts here.

Zameer (the accused, now found not guilty) had no criminal record and was not known to police at all.
He was approaching his vehicle, in a mostly deserted parking garage sometime close to midnight.
Inside the vehicle, his pregnant wife and very young child
Then, 2 strangers, not in police uniform, appear out of nowhere and move towards him and his car at speed.
He suspects danger and moves to get in the car and lock the doors.
The strangers begin banging on his car, loudly, and cause his young child to cry
He panics and tries to drive off
An unmarked police van cuts him off, he take a series of evasive actions during which the plainclothes officer was hit and killed.

The only facts in dispute was whether the police identified themselves; and whether or not Zameer intentionally ran over the officer, or did so unintentionally in the course of trying to escape what he thought was a robbery or worse.

Looking at the above, this really falls on very poor police conduct.
The the officer who was killed may well have been a very nice guy who meant no harm but to do his job here, is tragic, but self-inflicted.
I think any reasonable person would perceive the actions of these plain clothes individuals are comparable to carjackers, and respond in a similar way.
That the police seem obtuse about that is deeply disturbing.

That by all accounts police then chose to lie about how things unfolded, under oath, in court, providing testimony that in conflict with evidence from security cameras and experts on accident reconstruction is beyond disturbing.

Sadly, one imagines the deceitful officers will not be punished/removed from their force, as their chief has come out already saying he hoped for a different verdict (which is to say, he hoped for the conviction of an innocent man, based on the lying testimony of his officers).

The chief should, but I don't imagine will resign.

Good summary. I believe the court made the right decision.

Interview by the Globe and Mail with Olivia Chow:

Two transit-related notes:
  1. She wants to focus on fixing what Toronto has as opposed to building anything new
  2. Agrees with the need for the Waterfront LRT and the Eglinton East LRT, but nothing will be built until the feds and the province pony up
On (2) that's not going to happen while Ford is Premier, and probably not going to happen when Polliviere is PM so...we're gonna be waiting a while. Another Humber Bay Shores in the offing I think.

1. She wants to focus on fixing what Toronto has as opposed to building anything new
  2. Agrees with the need for the Waterfront LRT and the Eglinton East LRT, but nothing will be built until the feds and the province pony up
On (2) that's not going to happen while Ford is Premier, and probably not going to happen when Polliviere is PM so...we're gonna be waiting a while. Another Humber Bay Shores in the offing I think.
I think Reece and others have made this point, but the Waterfront East LRT should be built sooner rather than later, even if that means foregoing the Union upgrades. It is better for prospective Portlands residents to have to walk from QQ to Union for transfers than to not provide LRT service at all while waiting for the funding to come through for the Union upgrades.

I don't entirely agree w/your assessment here.

On point one:

I think its clear the province insists on being the builder/owner of such assets as I've noted in the past there are implications on provincial credit ratings and international borrowing and tax vehicles.

The City will not be the builder.

On point 2..........yes..........but the money is coming; admittedly not as soon as I expected or was told, but it is........ (at least for the Waterfront........not so sure about Eglinton, and I'd be fine if that was nixed, as there's a better plan being looked at)

Last edited:
On point one:

I think its clear the province insists on being the builder/owner of such assets as I've noted in the past there are implications on provincial credit ratings and international borrowing and tax vehicles.

Oh - I get what you’re saying, but I was simply quoting from the article.

“I’ve said no to all new projects—very nice, wonderful projects, I’ve said no. Fix what we have first, and the new things will come later.”

On point 2..........yes..........but the money is coming; admittedly not as soon as I expected or was told, but it is........ (at least for the Waterfront........

This is very, very hopeful, but given the political and funding climate I’m in very much a “wait and see” state of mind and am not getting my hopes up. That said, it would be incredible to see the Waterfront LRT move forward.

The mayor out today hyping replacements for the City's on-street waste receptacles:

1714066987680.png

Accompanying press release:

From same:

1714067064740.png

Good, as far as it goes................now about the ones in Parks....

Damn. Olivia Chow is really on a roll. CafeTO has been more smooth, garbage bins have been improved, a second pothole blitz…

She’s really trying to ensure that people feel that those tax dollars are delivering tangible improvements to their day-to-day. Smart.

Back