News   Jul 16, 2024
 71     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 823     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 957     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 2m2 minutes ago
Hey, did you guys know that Rob Ford isn't the mayor anymore?

Please keep on reminding me of this!

You know, I just came back from getting my morning coffee at Tim's, and I said it in my head, "Rob Ford is no longer the Mayor of Toronto." I'm not one to be sentimental, but after I said that, I actually felt a little smarter, a little more professional walking around out there. I felt a little less embarrassed and a little more prouder about the fact I call Toronto home.

It's amazing what a little breath of fresh air (literally and metaphorically) will do for you.

I am sure many people did not like David Miller's picks when they were announced. People have to wait and see how things play out before they start criticizing on damn Day 1!

I am sure many people did not like David Miller's picks when they were announced. People have to wait and see how things play out before they start criticizing on damn Day 1!

Actually nope, whether one like David Miller's picks or not has nothing to do with the behaviour and record of some of the new appointees - e.g. DMW. Criticisms never has to wait.

AoD

Is DMW a heartbeat away from being our mayor for the next four years?

I wish TPS would assign JT a personal protection detail. What was the security cost for Rob over the last four years? I never saw a Toronto politician with so much protection.

Also, JT, like every Metro Chairman had, should have a limo and chauffeur. They come with the job.

I still remember the licence # and the name of the chauffeur ( an injured paramedic ). "There's a front seat, and a back seat, and a window in between."

For better or worse, Rob Ford is not anywhere near this list.

For better, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
In the words of Doug Ford "You can't teach loyalty", but it looks like Tory is trying to win it with these appointments.

Tory's appointments are remarkably bad, but I suppose they go along with someone who's made one bad political decision after another. DMW is a fool, and the new executive is just a slightly less bad version of Ford's. I will give him some props for dumping Mammo and avoiding Ford, but these are so obvious that it's hardly deserved.

Most importantly, we don't have anything close to a clean break with the bad policies. And, worse, the executive has no representation from the core, which again replicates Ford's exec.

Tory's appointments are remarkably bad

And, worse, the executive has no representation from the core, which again replicates Ford's exec.

If I had to pick one that shows just how utterly clueless Tory is, it's that one.

We can survive with him appointing a clown like DMW for back-up mayor (hopefully he will never be used), but to yet again, snub the core, where the bulk of taxes, businesses, culture, retail, institutions, tourism and new development takes place is unforgivable and very detrimental to the well being of the city.

But what do you expect from someone who supported Rob Ford?

If I had to pick one that shows just how utterly clueless Tory is, it's that one.

We can survive with him appointing a clown like DMW for back-up mayor (hopefully he will never be used), but to yet again, snub the core, where the bulk of taxes, businesses, culture, retail, institutions, tourism and new development takes place is unforgivable and very detrimental to the well being of the city.

For what it's worth, there *is* one member of the new executive who lives in what almost any of us would consider the core: Tory himself.

Tory Nation rises up today out of the ashes of Ford Nation.

WKL: When today 12/1/2014 does John Tory take the title of Mayor of Toronto?

I tried to look up information about any kind of inauguration for JT and I found next to nothing...

The only thing that I am sure of that it is sometime today - I would not mind links to any news reports
that anyone may view or find - this is a day that many Torontonians have waited for for some time ending
finally RF's controversial four years as Mayor...

Let's all see how "Tory Nation" responds to the challenge or running the City of Toronto...LI MIKE

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 26m26 minutes ago
Doug Ford used to joke Tory wouldn't be able to find Scarborough on a map, so important that he chose to pay his 2nd official visit here

Take that, Doug!

Momin Qureshi ‏@Momin680News 12m12 minutes ago
Tory asking every person he meets, their name and what department they work in.

Casita... Would you get over this "heartbeat away" thing. The deputy mayor is not a US-style vice-president.

Indeed. Norm Kelly only became the de facto mayor because Rob was stripped of his powers.

Last edited:
Tory's cabinet is disappointing, pretty much all around. However, I see it as part of a second term strategy. I think he views "Ford Nation" (or whomever represents them) as more of a threat to another term, than the progressive cadre. Thereby, he's keeping his frenemies close.

Almost everything that happens in Toronto benefits the core directly or indirectly; all major (non-food) parades/celebrations are core orientated. The core is also Tory's base of support, looking to Scarborough (in example) and including them like today will gather further support.

Last edited:

Back