News   Jul 16, 2024
 157     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 908     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

And, well, I suggested all along that whatever competency Council managed under Ford was by way of operating as if a John Tory figure was in charge, not Ford. So, now, John Tory *is* in charge. Plus ca change and all of that...

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1m1 minute ago
Mayor John Tory wants Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong to be appointed to the Waterfront Toronto board #TOpoli

Hahahaha!

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 5m5 minutes ago
"John, you always wanted to get to the premier's office," jokes Steve Paikin. "No comment," says Tory with a grin.

Last edited:
Missed opportunity for Wong-Tam. Even though she's on the left, she's a great uniter.

Nunziata is a shit speaker. She's the reason city hall has been a circus for the last four years, with no voice and no control over the city council chamber. In my opinion, she was also the single biggest divisive force on council last term.

As for Denzil, a guy who doesn't know his left from his right. The same guy who wanted to foolishly rename Canada's busiest transportation terminal Union Station "Sir John A Macdonald Station" and waste tax payers money on renaming/rebranding. I was excited to see John Tory act upon this "bridging" and "unifying" talk he mentioned during his campaign, but putting these two in important positions really isn't showing good things to come.

I'm usually against renaming things, but I think that's probably the least consequential bad idea from DMZ. His opportunistic bashing of Waterfront Toronto, when they've done such great work and are just now in need of cash for the next phase of the waterfront development (including the Don mouth renaturalization) is what grind my gears.

If I were to rename anything after John A. MacDonald, I would rename Old City Hall to Nathan Philips Hall and rename Nathan Philips Square to John A MacDonald square. That or a prominent location in the distillery district, given his, uh, support of distilleries and the products that come from them.

At least Josh Colle is a good choice for TTC Chair.

Did she not propose to turn Yonge into a skating rink. That is not a moderate view. She is extreme left.

Oh please, read the article: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...ing-downtown-yonge-street-into-skating-trail/

Having ideas about skating doesn't make you "extreme left" (unlike the good old days of armed resurrection and class warfare - guess it doesn't take much to be branded a "leftist" these days). Ranting about druggies while smoking up might qualify one as "extreme right" though.

Anyways. re: JT's appointments

DMW is being rewarded for his visible support (in fact, most of his appointments belong to that category). Most downtown councillors didn't come out for JT, and it is reflected as such.

AoD

Last edited:
Maybe we can expect a Ford-esque start to Tory's term, but instead of Transit City it's: Ladies and gentlemen, the war on the waterfront stops today. ... Waterfront Toronto is over.

Maybe having DMW on the WT board is a blessing in disguise--better to have him involved than targeting the agency from the outside.

Maybe we can expect a Ford-esque start to Tory's term, but instead of Transit City it's: Ladies and gentlemen, the war on the waterfront stops today. ... Waterfront Toronto is over.

Maybe having DMW on the WT board is a blessing in disguise--better to have him involved than targeting the agency from the outside.

Not so sure about that, we shall see. RoFo tried waging war on WT and he got his ass handed to him. No doubt JT will be a more subtle operator, but WT is fairly astute in their comms. Besides, I don't think any mayor wanted to end up as the one who f**ked up the waterfront file.

And yes, put DWM on the board, and he can't whine about not being able to find the agenda before the meeting for a change.

AoD

Last edited:
Ann Hui ‏@annhui 1m1 minute ago
Wynne congratulates Tory on officially being named mayor, says she's looking forward to working with him on housing, transit
Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 25s26 seconds ago
Wynne says they had substantive conversations on housing, transit this morning. Says Tory shows commitment to working w/ other governments.
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 39s39 seconds ago
"John has already shown a real commitment to working with the other levels of government" Premier Kathleen Wynne on Tory #TOpoli #onpoli

How can you be grumpy about this? Ford never once met with Wynne and John is doing it on his first day as mayor.

I wonder how CP2Ford will react to this.

Tory is speaking in French during this presser.

Jamie Strashin ‏@StrashinCBC 4m4 minutes ago
Rob Ford did not ever speak French during his time as Mayor.

Last edited:
I'm content with his picks. Could they be better? Absolutely. But don't forget that in order to create consensus building, you need to reach out to both the left AND right.

For better or worse, Rob Ford is not anywhere near this list. I don't need to get into the better reasons, but giving him a token position may have helped to calm some outspoken members of Ford Nation, plus he was technically the former mayor. Give him a position of fiscal restraint* and recommendations** or community outreach, since he could provide suggestions on how to run City Hall more efficiently and he did do a good job reaching out to people who normally felt alienated by city government.

Of course, his health likely played a role into why he was not offered any positions either.

*Am thinking more of his time as a councillor when he was critical of spending. As mayor, not so much (going after subways instead of light rail, using city resources to coach football, making up lucrative positions to give to his friends like Price, etc).

**Just because he recommends something does not mean the city needs to go through with it. But I do feel it is important to at least hear dissenting positions and not surround yourself with a bunch of yes men.

Back