News   Jul 16, 2024
 200     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 950     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I agree. It's bad optics that John didn't appoint anyone from the downtown or the core. (I'd much rather have KWT on exec than Shiner). But there's nothing we can do about that. The onus is now Tory to live up to his comments about working with all members of council. And I wish him every success in developing an alternative to Ford Nation.

This has now been mentioned a number of times in this thread. Given the politics of Perks or KWT, do people really believe Tory would have them on his Exec?

What is defined as 'core', and what councillor from that core would you have Tory appoint?

Very disappointed in Nunziata as Speaker.

Why does this matter? The big fat kid might express interest in being a wide receiver, but he's still going on the OL. They obviously had a quiet conversation & accepted the nod.

Using your football analogy...If you are JJ Watt you have your choice....Will they have fire in their bellies for the positions or are they just acquiescing....

I agree. It's bad optics that John didn't appoint anyone from the downtown or the core. (I'd much rather have KWT on exec than Shiner). But there's nothing we can do about that. The onus is now Tory to live up to his comments about working with all members of council. And I wish him every success in developing an alternative to Ford Nation.

John Tory IS the core. He's also made Pam McConnell a Deputy Mayor, and put her in charge of developing a poverty reduction strategy. I really do hope this helps take out some of the steam from Ford Nation. Showing that consensus gets more results than anger could help keep the Ford's out of office in 2018. If Tory's moves empower the left, I have absolutely no problem with that either.

Depends on the timing. If it's near the end of the term, council can make an appointment. It doesn't have to be DMW (although he'd be a frontrunner, obviously). Otherwise, there would be an election. DMW has no mandate or automatic route to the mayor's office. Think of this way, if a movie star dies during a shoot, they don't give the role to his/her stand-in and carry on.

Thanks. The potential chaos sounds worse than I imagined. Maybe DMW would get promoted and finish the 2014-2018 term as mayor. Or, maybe not. ( I thought the Deputy would inherit the top job automatically, sort of like a co-pilot or rather naively perhaps, like a vice-president. )

Maybe Rob moaning that he is back in the saddle again because he is the only elected mayor at CH. Maybe Doug claiming the job because he was runner-up in the election. Or, it triggers another election and this time Doug gets in with nobody ( Mrs. Chow? ) to stand in his way.

Last edited:
Thanks. The potential chaos sounds worse than I imagined. Maybe DMW would get promoted and finish the 2014-2018 term as mayor. Or, maybe not. ( I thought the Deputy would inherit the top job automatically, sort of like a co-pilot or rather naively perhaps, like a vice-president. )

Maybe Rob moaning that he is back in the saddle again because he is the only elected mayor at CH. Maybe Doug claiming the job because he was runner-up in the election. Or, it triggers another election and this time Doug gets in with nobody ( Mrs. Chow? ) to stand in his way.

That sounds way more likely. And frightening. LOL.

John Tory IS the core. He's also made Pam McConnell a Deputy Mayor, and put her in charge of developing a poverty reduction strategy. I really do hope this helps take out some of the steam from Ford Nation. Showing that consensus gets more results than anger could help keep the Ford's out of office in 2018. If Tory's moves empower the left, I have absolutely no problem with that either.

Hadn't thought of Tory as "core." Thanks for that. Also, maybe the downtown types wouldn't line up behind Smart Track. That would explain a lot.

He's also made Pam McConnell a Deputy Mayor

Oh right...that really important non-existing position...3rd Backup Deputy Mayor. ha ha ha

John Tory is right on schedule....doing something stupid.

I know he's gonna have his honeymoon period, but I hope by some miracle council smacks down his choice for speaker and humiliates the crap out of him for being so clueless.

I believe it's pretty widely known that Tory lives at Bloor and Bedford, which most would consider 'core,' and has spent much of his working life on Bay Street (literally and figuratively). While I'd like to see more south-of-Bloor representation on the exec, this is of a different category entirely from the Fords, for whom anything non-suburban seemed totally alien. Apart from Leafs games, how much time had Rob and Doug Ford, in their lives, ever spent in the old city? Guessing not much.

In a charitable holiday spirit, I'm going to hope these appointments are JT's way of getting Ford Nation, such as it is, into the tent. It's hard to see what policies he campaigned on that would require such a conservative group to get onto the floor, so barring some vast hidden agenda that seems like a logical explanation.

What I can't figure out is the absence of Matlow. He's dead-centrist and represents arguably the Tory heartland. Wonder what happened there.

On hearing the news that Denzil Minnan-Wong will be Deputy Mayor under John Tory.

original.jpg

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 467
Oh right...that really important non-existing position...3rd Backup Deputy Mayor. ha ha ha

How about extending the quote to the rest of the statement I made? It's more than just a ceremonial position for Pam, as she has been given a specific task along with her appointment. None of the other 2 Deputy Mayor's have been given a project to focus on.

My biggest surprise was that John Filion was totally snubbed after he came out in full support of Tory. This helped Tory win over Willowdale and that he picked Shiner over Filion on the exec is not a good sign. Filion is a moderate on council and a very experienced councillor.

How about extending the quote to the rest of the statement I made? It's more than just a ceremonial position for Pam, as she has been given a specific task along with her appointment. None of the other 2 Deputy Mayor's have been given a project to focus on.

That's like Mel giving Layton the homelessness file - high profile but ultimately meaningless. And when it fails, guess whose strategy is it that failed?

AoD

Tory's cabinet is disappointing, pretty much all around. However, I see it as part of a second term strategy. I think he views "Ford Nation" (or whomever represents them) as more of a threat to another term, than the progressive cadre. Thereby, he's keeping his frenemies close.

He had no business giving DMW, the troll, the Waterfront board position. I really think it's a sign of a hard-right Ford-esque agenda, than a Bloomberg-esque urban business-oriented ideas guy that would have been the hope for Tory.

I'll warn everybody right now...I am going to give as much leeway to Tory apologists as I did Ford apologists (of which Tory was one).

Back