News   Aug 07, 2024
 129     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 285     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 235     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Here's what I don't understand about Tory. Tory has a lot of reluctant progressives willing to throw their vote to him to stop Ford , but all we are looking for is reassurance that he will work towards building a city for all.

But it seems like he is still pandering to Ford voters, those guys are a lost cause, he should be presenting himself as a true centrist (like Soks!). Again, I understand that he's not going to suddenly become the new NDP candidate, but something to show I can vote for him to oust Ford without feeling too icky about it.

He's not going to lose his base; he's not going to get Ford voters; he really should be working on making sure those Chow and Sok voters who would vote for him to get rid of Ford aren't SO turned off by him that they just can't.

Here's what I don't understand about Tory. Tory has a lot of reluctant progressives willing to throw their vote to him to stop Ford , but all we are looking for is reassurance that he will work towards building a city for all.

But it seems like he is still pandering to Ford voters, those guys are a lost cause, he should be presenting himself as a true centrist (like Soks!). Again, I understand that he's not going to suddenly become the new NDP candidate, but something to show I can vote for him to oust Ford without feeling too icky about it.

He's not going to lose his base; he's not going to get Ford voters; he really should be working on making sure those Chow and Sok voters who would vote for him to get rid of Ford aren't SO turned off by him that they just can't.

Maybe he thinks he is running as a (right) centrist, but your perception is that he's too far right is coloured by your perception of where 'centre' should be/is.

The other night Tory said he has been criticized within his own party as being too moderate, so he's trying to portray a right/centrist position.

The other night Tory said he has been criticized within his own party as being too moderate, so he's trying to portray a right/centrist position.

Fair points. I guess I was just thinking if *I* were advising him I'd be telling him to go after the BIG L Liberal votes, since he's never going to get Ford's 27% over to him and it's those Liberals who will leave Chow to oust Ford.

Here's what I don't understand about Tory. Tory has a lot of reluctant progressives willing to throw their vote to him to stop Ford , but all we are looking for is reassurance that he will work towards building a city for all. But it seems like he is still pandering to Ford voters, those guys are a lost cause, he should be presenting himself as a true centrist (like Soks!). Again, I understand that he's not going to suddenly become the new NDP candidate, but something to show I can vote for him to oust Ford without feeling too icky about it. He's not going to lose his base; he's not going to get Ford voters; he really should be working on making sure those Chow and Sok voters who would vote for him to get rid of Ford aren't SO turned off by him that they just can't.
I agree here too. If Tory wins (and he very well may), it will be because a lot of progressives went right to stop crazy. He should be cognizant of this. Both in governing, but also in the lead-up to the vote too.

I think though he's petrified of doing anything that may perceive him as being a weak flip-flopper as that has dragged him down in the past.

Anyone else getting the feeling that Tory's SmartTrack might lead to his downfall?

See John Tory's map at http://smarttracker.ca/

Notice several things about it:

- Sheppard LRT and Finch LRT are cancelled again. If you try to go from Agincourt to Sheppard-Yonge it tells to you take "SmartTrack", Eglinton LRT and Yonge line. (There's lots of other places where this planner gives weird routes that don't make sense). I'm pretty sure John Tory doesn't want to build these even though he keeps flip flopping on them.
- What is John Tory thinking about Eglinton West? It looks like this proposal requires tunneling there, because council made the short sighted decision to sell off land there. Somehow I suspect that John Tory wishes that Eglinton were a subway (which would make sense if the thing weren't under construction already and we built elevated in the outer sections). Of course it would be very simple to shift this north by running along the Georgetown line to the 427, then turning south and stopping at Pearson and Airport Corporate Centre, but that would mean getting rid of the UP Express and admitting that this was a mistake.
- Why does John Tory's map not show any other GO lines, like the part of Lakeshore that is not also used by Stouffville? Metrolinx plans to electrify these as well.

So Tory won't smoke crack and he'll walk in the Pride parade. I really don't see much substantive difference in the two platforms. (Ok, one promises "subways, subways, subways" , the other one promises a horribly flawed plan that I have come to call LaughTrack.)

Chow has never been my favourite progressive politican, and her dull, super-safe campaign is, putting it lightly, uninspirational.

Depressing for progressives.

So Tory won't smoke crack and he'll walk in the Pride parade. I really don't see much substantive difference in the two platforms. (Ok, one promises "subways, subways, subways" , the other one promises a horribly flawed plan that I have come to call LaughTrack.)

Chow has never been my favourite progressive politican, and her dull, super-safe campaign is, putting it lightly, uninspirational.

I think the work for "progressives" (hate that normative label with a passion) is shaping Tory's policy agenda. The fact that he has a relatively malleable (sic opportunistic) approach meant that he will bend in a weak mayor system if there is strong council direction.

Chow reached for the lowest hanging fruit and let her lack of imagination and daring defined her. The city wanted a leader, not a manager.

AoD

Without resorting to references to provincial or federal political parties or leaders, what is a progressive in a municipal sense?

Back