News   Apr 22, 2024
 803     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 681     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

those are interesting links... is that your web site?

and no, i wasn't joking... we do need to escalate the war on the car

No, but its become one of my favorite blogs on urban planning. I'm someone who has spent extensive time in Europe and it saddens me that my home city seem so lacking in contrast to Europe. Especially when it is largely lacking in the little things, like cycling infrastructure, public spaces and human-scale streets. It seems by far and large the main culprit or at least common denominator of this is our car-centered culture.

I spent most of my summer in my father's home city of Katowice in Poland. Katowice is a large city but it isn't really an old and bustling touristic European city like say Krakow, Prague, Stockholm etc., quite the opposite in fact; it was built largely after the industrial revolution and is a massive industrial and mining center both during the communist era and today. (Think Pittsburgh) Yet when I was there this summer, what I saw was a city actively investing in its downtown core, closing off streets to cars, expanding sidewalks and revitalizing streets, adding tram lines and segregated bike lanes through its downtown core, building multiple fountains and public spaces that put Yonge-Dundas Square to shame, not to mention laying beautiful tiles in the most active pedestrian areas. All this in an industrial city in Poland with really not much financial means and without any tourism industry to justify it. If we even attempted to do anything of similar scale in Toronto, a city with the economy of a small country, it would be decried as public waste and a waste of taxpayers dollars.

My point is, we could do so much more with the resources we have. We are collectively plagued by our auto-centric culture and small-city mentality more so than "conservative ideologues" and Ford nation. (apostrophes around conservative because in Europe conservatives fully embraced cycling culture, alongside every other demagogue.)

Cyclists won't disappear in 10 years, it will only be 10 weeks when only the most attention seeking masochists will still be out there. The others will be back in May so please don't get in the habit of blocking those bike lanes this winter.

While automobiles may not disappear, the fuel maybe prioritized towards industrial, commercial, and transit uses. Better get your hybrid sooner than later. Maybe more fuel-efficient vehicles may slow the decline, but it wouldn't stop it.

EIA-world-liquid-fuels-supply.jpg

No, but its become one of my favorite blogs on urban planning. I'm someone who has spent extensive time in Europe and it saddens me that my home city seem so lacking in contrast to Europe. Especially when it is largely lacking in the little things, like cycling infrastructure, public spaces and human-scale streets. It seems by far and large the main culprit or at least common denominator of this is our car-centered culture.

I spent most of my summer in my father's home city of Katowice in Poland. Katowice is a large city but it isn't really an old and bustling touristic European city like say Krakow, Prague, Stockholm etc., quite the opposite in fact; it was built largely after the industrial revolution and is a massive industrial and mining center both during the communist era and today. (Think Pittsburgh) Yet when I was there this summer, what I saw was a city actively investing in its downtown core, closing off streets to cars, expanding sidewalks and revitalizing streets, adding tram lines and segregated bike lanes through its downtown core, building multiple fountains and public spaces that put Yonge-Dundas Square to shame, not to mention laying beautiful tiles in the most active pedestrian areas. All this in an industrial city in Poland with really not much financial means and without any tourism industry to justify it. If we even attempted to do anything of similar scale in Toronto, a city with the economy of a small country, it would be decried as public waste and a waste of taxpayers dollars.

My point is, we could do so much more with the resources we have. We are collectively plagued by our auto-centric culture and small-city mentality more so than "conservative ideologues" and Ford nation. (apostrophes around conservative because in Europe conservatives fully embraced cycling culture, alongside every other demagogue.)

Toronto is never going to look like Europe as we don't have (a) 1000 years of history as a city nor (b) large city centres that were bombed to oblivion 80 years ago. We'll have to muddle through without both. We're neither plagued with an auto-centric culture nor a small-city mentality, although we're aspiring to Manhattan/Chicago/San Francisco/Vancouver for our downtown living space rather than Paris/London.

The plague that was Ford was a blip, and a rather ineffective blip.

I know forums are great places to lament, whinge, and complain, but Toronto is doing a great job at being a growing, dynamic city.

Check out the Spit, or WDL, or HarbourFront, or the new condos and infrastructure to the west of downtown, etc., etc., etc. Toronto deserves to be celebrated.

I like this tweet from Roger Keil of York U's Cities Centre:

Roger Keil @rkeil
Ford opened such a gaping breach on the far right that some decent folks I know believe Tory, A Conserative, is a progressive urbanist!

Ah yes, the old "it's too cold for cycling" chestnut. Conveniently ignoring that Ottawa and Montreal have more extensive cycling infrastructure and bicycle use.
Let's get together in December through March and count cyclists. We won't need a clipboard or anything, your fingers on one hand will enough.

Toronto is never going to look like Europe as we don't have (a) 1000 years of history as a city nor (b) large city centres that were bombed to oblivion 80 years ago.
As he said in his post, Katowice was largely built in the same era that most North American cities were built. It boomed at the same time Toronto did. You don't need 1000 years of history to build high quality public spaces. It's not about looking like Europe. It's about raising our standards.

Let's get together in December through March and count cyclists. We won't need a clipboard or anything, your fingers on one hand will enough.
Attitudes like this result in less cycling infrastructure, which results in fewer people cycling. It also results in a less efficient use of public space. Besides, your argument is pretty weak if it relies on a decline in cycling for only four months.

Has anyone else noticed that when you hold a Smart Track poster upside down, it looks like a car?

As he said in his post, Katowice was largely built in the same era that most North American cities were built. It boomed at the same time Toronto did. You don't need 1000 years of history to build high quality public spaces. It's not about looking like Europe. It's about raising our standards.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katowice

Uh-huh. I have absolutely nothing against Wisla nor Katowice. And, I'll be the first to admit my entire knowledge of Katowice is from the attached wiki link. But do you really think Katowice is about to teach Toronto about how to 'raise our standards'?

let's revisit this on october 28

Why? People will stop arriving? The 750 floors of new construction just approved will suddenly not be built? The TSX will move to Regina? The banks will go back to Montreal?

I hate our current Mayor as much as anyone, but he hasn't even slowed down progress measureably. Tory or Chow will be a giant positive step. What happens on October 28 that halts Toronto's current momentum?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katowice

Uh-huh. I have absolutely nothing against Wisla nor Katowice. And, I'll be the first to admit my entire knowledge of Katowice is from the attached wiki link. But do you really think Katowice is about to teach Toronto about how to 'raise our standards'?

The point is, the 4th largest city in North America with the economy of a small country like Toronto shouldn't have to be compared to some financially-starved industrial city in Poland. The fact the comparison is even being made demonstrates that Toronto could and should be doing better.

MisterF said it precisely, it isn't about looking like Europe. It is about raising our standards as a city. There is absolutely no reason why our downtown streets can't look like this street in Katowice.

---
Also FYI, I did in fact bike down the Leslie Spit today. It along with our trials that I biked through today are a very nice experience don't get me wrong, but they are hardly particularly special or unique to Toronto.

Last edited:

Back