News   Jul 15, 2024
 757     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 910     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 636     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Well luckily in ten years this won't be an issue, because affordable housing in regent park is being demolished for small condos that cater to high income earners. All those parents that need subsidies will soon be displaced.

You said it as if there were no affordable housing units built to replace what was being demolished.

Hey just curious, if Rob Ford is considered by far the most right wing counsellor, who is his left wing counterpart? Who is considered by far the most left wing counsellor?

One point of contention, the past four years illustrated that Rob Ford isn't "right wing". In fact, his sanity itself is a bit questionable.

AoD

Last edited:
Maybe he's just clipping his wings and being pragmatic?

Seems like it. Inasmuch as Tory has been a 'takes two wings to fly' guy, this does seem like a 'kill two birds with one stone' kind of announcement.

You said it as if there were no affordable housing units built to replace what was being demolished.

Tell that to the families that are being forcefully evicted and relocated to the far corners of the city. Do you actually think they're going to move back in five years? How would you feel if that was done to you and your family?

Tell that to the families that are being forcefully evicted and relocated to the far corners of the city. Do you actually think they're going to move back in five years? How would you feel if that was done to you and your family?

No offense, social housing does not equate to the right to housing, at the same scale on the same spot for life, and as regrettable as the community displacement maybe, it is necessary for the broader goals of the city. Besides, that deflects from your original assertion that affordable housing is basically eliminated from Regent Park, which is falsehood.

AoD

Last edited:
I could cry tears of joy about the 12 new Blue Night routes being added! Any word on what these routes might be?

PS: PinkLucy.....thanks for that laugh. :)

Last edited:
Me? Never. I'm not even drinking these days and I most certainly didn't vomit from alcohol when I was drinking. I was at a different level of tolerance than the poor fools who would.

I may have voted for Tory if he had been upfront about his support for these proposals, rather than indicating that he didn't support him. His lack of support for improving funding for transit operations is one of the few reasons I voted for Chow over Tory.

True, but I don't have much problems over either a) a change of mind (unlikely) or b) the reality of dragging voters in with a policy that is marketable to voters (SmartTrack), but to also secretly plan to phase in your opponent's less savvier bus service plan when elected. In the end, this is a good first step on multiple levels for the TTC.

The gates are the income needed to afford a 2 bedroom apartment (at a minimum) plus basic living expenses in Toronto. Something that is increasingly out of reach for many people, and only getting worse.
s
Well, this may be news to you, but there exists a Toronto north of Bloor, west of Bathurst, East of the Don Valley, and in that land, they use the TTC, and until now, had to pay for children under 12. And that land included many of the poorest neighbourhoods in Toronto and in fact, the entire Greater Toronto Area. Including, but not limited to Rexdale, Jane-Finch, Malvern, Lawrence Heights, Weston-Mt.Dennis, Thorncliffe Park, Downsview, Eglinton East, Scarborough Village, Kingston-Galloway, York University Heights, Crescent Town .... and in all these places, I'm sure that this new subsidy will be well received.

Last edited:
Eliminating TTC fares should prove enormously popular. But really it's time to shift the burden to drivers (Vehicle Registration Tax).

Hopefully though Tory can be moved on something like low-income passes - something that several cities have.

I could cry tears of joy about the 12 new Blue Night routes being added! Any word on what these routes might be?

PS: PinkLucy.....thanks for that laugh. :)

These are likely the 12.

blue_night_network_aug_14.jpg

Ahh the old Transit City Bus Plan. Almost 10 years after it was introduced, TCBP is finally being implemented. TCBP is the best transit planning we've seen in decades, in my opinion.

Free TTC for Seniors? How about the Disabled? That would be nice! :)

There is a seniors discount. The disabled have the option of using Wheel Trans.

nrb said:
Well luckily in ten years this won't be an issue, because affordable housing in regent park is being demolished for small condos that cater to high income earners. All those parents that need subsidies will soon be displaced.
That's not what's happening in Regent Park, although I can understand why some people are 'panicking' about being displaced from their subsidized homes. The old buildings are awful, outdated and need to be replaced.

Also in the neighbourhood, it was interesting that when the Aquatic Centre first opened you had to pay to use it. Either each visit or buying an annual membership. A few months after 'joining', I got a refund because it was decided to make pool access free for everyone.
I didn't need that and would have gladly continued paying but it was a nice move for all the low income families in the area.

Last edited:
If you have a child over 2 years old in Toronto you are likely very well off and can afford tokens when you need them.

Toronto is becoming a gated community for rich families. Those who can afford to raise kids here stay, those who can't, leave or don't have children.

You guys can come visit my neighbours here in Weston. Tell them they're rich, I dare you.

Back