News   Jul 16, 2024
 50     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 819     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 955     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Toronto is becoming a gated community for rich families. Those who can afford to raise kids here stay, those who can't, leave or don't have children.

Hey just curious, if Rob Ford is considered by far the most right wing counsellor, who is his left wing counterpart? Who is considered by far the most left wing counsellor?

My opinion:

Gord Perks is the most left-leaning councilor at City Hall in practice when it comes to actual proposals and policy.

Paula Fletcher is perhaps the most ideologically left-leaning councilor at City Hall, having been a former leader of the Communist Party of Manitoba, but I haven't seen this at play at City Hall so much.

But unlike Ford, both are educated and act with reason and logic instead of tired old rhetoric. TBH I wouldn't even classify Rob Ford as right-wing, that is an insult to right-wing politics. Rob Ford is a populist, period.

Children make you rich?

Of course.

The price of children in Toronto has greatly inflated in the past decade or so. I remember back in the 90s you could make yourself a baby for $25k. Now they go for at least $150k. If you want a child without any deficiencies, then at least $300k. Unless you're rich, there's no way you can afford to make yourself a child.

John Tory really needs to do something about the baby shortage, which is causing these inflated prices.

So in light of today's news about the restoration of service cuts, where are all of Tory's critics who were so quick to criticize him for not blindly supporting the TTC recommendations made over the summer without scrutiny? :rolleyes:

Toronto is becoming a gated community for rich families. Those who can afford to raise kids here stay, those who can't, leave or don't have children.

1. Where are the gates?
2. How does this square with all the kids at the Regent Park School for Music that needed subsidies as their parents couldn't pay the bills?
3. ARE YOU SERIOUS???

I will say that putting my kids to work at the Toronto Salt Mine was pretty lucrative. Meant I could upgrade to cable.

So in light of today's news about the restoration of service cuts, where are all of Tory's critics who were so quick to criticize him for not blindly supporting the TTC recommendations made over the summer without scrutiny? :rolleyes:

What happens to people's opinion of Tory when he doesn't play within the ideological lines in their heads? Is it all cognitive dissonance, or do some people change their minds about him?

Of course.

The price of children in Toronto has greatly inflated in the past decade or so. I remember back in the 90s you could make yourself a baby for $25k. Now they go for at least $150k. If you want a child without any deficiencies, then at least $300k. Unless you're rich, there's no way you can afford to make yourself a child.

John Tory really needs to do something about the baby shortage, which is causing these inflated prices.

that's absurd.
I know a couple making below $90k combined and is raising two children, who don't seem "deficient" to me.
Raising a kid is not that super expensive, although not cheap. Unless you think private piano and karate lessons are absolutely indispensable. A lot of the stuff the kids "need" is actually just what parents *think* they need, just because other kids have it.

that's absurd.
I know a couple making below $90k combined and is raising two children, who don't seem "deficient" to me.
Raising a kid is not that super expensive, although not cheap. Unless you think private piano and karate lessons are absolutely indispensable. A lot of the stuff the kids "need" is actually just what parents *think* they need, just because other kids have it.

Either you're dense, or I suck at humour.

1. Where are the gates?
The gates are the income needed to afford a 2 bedroom apartment (at a minimum) plus basic living expenses in Toronto. Something that is increasingly out of reach for many people, and only getting worse.

2. How does this square with all the kids at the Regent Park School for Music that needed subsidies as their parents couldn't pay the bills?

Well luckily in ten years this won't be an issue, because affordable housing in regent park is being demolished for small condos that cater to high income earners. All those parents that need subsidies will soon be displaced.

3. ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Yes

Well luckily in ten years this won't be an issue, because affordable housing in regent park is being demolished for small condos that cater to high income earners. All those parents that need subsidies will soon be displaced.
You do know that parents that receive subsidies live throughout the city, not just in Regent Park, right?

Back