News   Jul 15, 2024
 766     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 917     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Of course.

The price of children in Toronto has greatly inflated in the past decade or so. I remember back in the 90s you could make yourself a baby for $25k. Now they go for at least $150k. If you want a child without any deficiencies, then at least $300k. Unless you're rich, there's no way you can afford to make yourself a child.

John Tory really needs to do something about the baby shortage, which is causing these inflated prices.

Agreed. :D

So in light of today's news about the restoration of service cuts, where are all of Tory's critics who were so quick to criticize him for not blindly supporting the TTC recommendations made over the summer without scrutiny? :rolleyes:

Taking a shower.

Of course.

The price of children in Toronto has greatly inflated in the past decade or so. I remember back in the 90s you could make yourself a baby for $25k. Now they go for at least $150k. If you want a child without any deficiencies, then at least $300k. Unless you're rich, there's no way you can afford to make yourself a child.

John Tory really needs to do something about the baby shortage, which is causing these inflated prices.

John Tory needs to form a task force of super-virile men scoring around the clock. I know I'll do my part.

Sorry, been channeling my inner Zapp Brannigan.

https://swanboatsteve.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/new-fares-service-improvements-coming/

On January 19, 2015, Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and TTC CEO Andy Byford held a press conference to announce major changes for TTC riders in 2015.

• Adult fares will rise by 10 cents (from $2.70 to $2.80, or 3.7%) with proportionate increases for passes, senior and student fares.
  • Children under 12 will ride free (the current fare is $0.75 cash or a ticket for $0.60).​
  • The cash fare will remain at $3.00.​
  • All day, every day services that were cut in 2011 will be restored.
  • A network of key bus and streetcar routes will have 10 minute service except overnight (after 1:00 am).
  • Crowding and wait times off peak will be reduced by modifying the loading standards.
  • Proof-of-payment and all-door loading will be extended throughout the streetcar network.
  • Twelve new Blue Night routes will be added to the 22 now in operation.
  • Fifty new buses will be acquired for service improvements.
  • Crowding and wait times during the peak periods for 21 busy routes will be improved.​
  • Four new express bus routes will be added.​
  • The pool of buses available for maintenance will be increased.​
  • Temporary storage will be obtained to house the buses pending new garage construction.​
  • Trains on the YUS and BD subways that are now held on standby for emergencies will be scheduled into the regular service.
  • Route management will be improved for streetcar routes to provide more reliable service and better utilize the capacity of vehicles in service.
  • The reliability of signals, track and communication systems will be improved with more resources for maintenance.

One sour note in the announcement is the fact that the Metropass multiple will go up from 49 to 50 giving a new price of $141.50 vs the existing $133.75, an increase of 5.8%. In the midst of an otherwise upbeat, positive set of recommendations, it was a poor choice not to mention that frequent users would pay a higher increase for TTC fares. This continues TTC management’s desire to bump the pass pricing up on the basis that frequent users are getting too high a subsidy. If that’s the official position of the Mayor and TTC Chair, they should have said so in the press release.

Steve Munro summarizes the changes being employed on his site nicely.

At the time, then-candidate Tory argued against these proposals on the grounds that they were unfunded, and behind the scenes, the Tory camp complained that the TTC was supporting another candidate’s platform. To his credit, now-Mayor Tory recognizes the importance of better transit service that can be delivered in the short term, and he has embraced advice from Andy Byford wholeheartedly.

Ah I found one of my missing Tory critics!

Steve Munro seems to be pleased with general direction the Tory administration is taking, with listening to Andy Byford, undoing the damage caused by Rob Ford, paying attention to off-peak transit, and adopting a broader vision for TTC improvements particularly towards our surface routes.

https://swanboatsteve.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/new-fares-service-improvements-coming/

Steve Munro summarizes the changes being employed on his site nicely.

Ah I found one of my missing Tory critics!

Steve Munro seems to be pleased with general direction the Tory administration is taking, with listening to Andy Byford, undoing the damage caused by Rob Ford, paying attention to off-peak transit, and adopting a broader vision for TTC improvements particularly towards our surface routes.

I may have voted for Tory if he had been upfront about his support for these proposals, rather than indicating that he didn't support him. His lack of support for improving funding for transit operations is one of the few reasons I voted for Chow over Tory.

It is early, but making DMW the deputy mayor hasn't been a huge disaster. Maybe all some of these councillors needed was a different mayor.

Last edited:
It is early, but making DMW the deputy mayor hasn't been a huge disaster. Maybe all some of these councillors needed was a different mayor.
DMW has to be the biggest brownnoser in the city.

How did anyone not think he wouldn't do exactly what Tory told him to do? The question is, how high can he jump?

DMW has to be the biggest brownnoser in the city.

How did anyone not think he wouldn't do exactly what Tory told him to do? The question is, how high can he jump?

How do you explain Nunziata? She is completely different now that Tory is mayor.

How do you explain Nunziata? She is completely different now that Tory is mayor.

Well, to be fair, I always felt that her tacit "diehard" support for Rob Ford gave her an artificially worse rap than she deserved. Remember that she wasn't bad as York Mayor (not least as a grassroots hero for her whistle-blowing on municipal corruption). And even now within her turf, I've argue that she's better at the ashcan "Ford populist" touch than *any* Ford family member is--which is one of those reasons she's adapted well to the new regime, rather than joining Ford in his fantasy "dual mayor" caucus...

Hey just curious, if Rob Ford is considered by far the most right wing counsellor, who is his left wing counterpart? Who is considered by far the most left wing counsellor?

Whomever's most commonly at the wrong end of 44-1 Council votes. Get the hint?

Back