News   Jul 16, 2024
 57     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 822     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 957     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Green P?

Though if my courier company kept getting towed, I'd be finding a new courier company. The problem will resolve itself.

The Green P is actually a pretty neat (half)solution. Let those boats park, anywhere, there for delivery, 15 mins. max. No ticket, no tow.

Toronto city council to be asked for SmartTrack study funding

City politicians will be asked to approve as much as $1.65-million more to study Mayor John Tory’s signature transit proposal, with more analysis promised on a contentious section of the route and a financing strategy expected by the fall.

Mr. Tory campaigned on a pledge to piggyback onto provincial plans to expand GO rail service, adding a number of stations and a spur in the west end, and packaging the whole thing under the slogan SmartTrack. A report early Friday evening from Toronto’s top bureaucrat presented a roadmap for pushing the project forward.

Mr. Pennachetti’s report also asks council to approve up to $1.65-million in funding for studies on Mr. Tory’s plan, on top of $750,000 already approved. The new stretch of track in the west end is mentioned specifically as requiring additional analysis.

This portion, along Eglinton, has long been one of the most controversial parts of the project. Mr. Tory initially said that no tunnelling would be required but later acknowledged that the train would have to go underground at least part of the way. He would not say how much digging he believed would be necessary and during the campaign brushed aside a Globe and Mail analysis that concluded the tunnel distance would be at least 8.5 kilometres.

I'm in the wrong line of work. 1.65 mill + 700K = a lot more than I would require to do my job for years...and I produce tangible things.

CP24 @CP24 · 12m 12 minutes ago
BREAKING: Mayor John Tory has announced that children under 12 will be allowed to ride the TTC for free, beginning March 1.
CP24Verified account‏@CP24
Tory says the city will invest $95 million in the TTC.
CP24 @CP24 · 2m 2 minutes ago
The money will help reduce crowding on 21 key routes and provide additional subway trains during peak hours, Tory says.
CP24 @CP24 · 48s 48 seconds ago
Tory says the money will also help restore the all-day, everyday bus service that was cut in 2011.

This is interesting. Fares (less cash) will go up 10 cents.

Last edited:
More interesting is that Tory is looking to increase the TTC's subsidy from the city by $38 million from 2014, giving the TTC, in total, $43 million more in 2015.

The press release promises the restoration of service cuts made under Ford and Stintz in 2011 (mostly off-peak services), as well as additional express bus routes and Blue Night services, and increased services to reduce crowding. There's not much room to increase peak bus services without the new garage and a a larger fleet, though.

http://ttc.ca/News/2015/January/19012015NR.jsp

Sometimes, I just can't read Tory. His committee picks signalled a right-wing agenda. This transit announcement is (a moderate fare hike coupled with service improvements) is something we saw in the Miller era.

Last edited:
Lots of debate over the financials of letting kids 12 and under ride free, but you can't deny that it's an innovative social policy for cash-strapped families.

I don't agree at all. If you have a child over 2 years old in Toronto you are likely very well off and can afford tokens when you need them. Not only that, but we already subsidize and pay for transit for children in the form of school buses. Now we're subsidizing them twice.

It's just shrewd politics by Tory. He broke his promise, so he's throwing his voters a bone. And we're paying for it by $7 million.

Hey just curious, if Rob Ford is considered by far the most right wing counsellor, who is his left wing counterpart? Who is considered by far the most left wing counsellor?

I don't agree at all. If you have a child over 2 years old in Toronto you are likely very well off and can afford tokens when you need them. Not only that, but we already subsidize and pay for transit for children in the form of school buses. Now we're subsidizing them twice.

It's just shrewd politics by Tory. He broke his promise, so he's throwing his voters a bone. And we're paying for it by $7 million.

Presumably you don't have kids yourself, otherwise you would know how expensive it is to raise a family in Toronto.

Also, there are very few school buses in Toronto - a child must live more than 1.6km from their school and be in grade 5 or lower to be eligible.

Back