News   Jul 15, 2024
 522     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 681     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 589     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I must admit, I don't know who Pitbull is. But since I'm not the mayor, I guess it doesn't matter. :p;)

Did Tory seriously not know who Kanye West was? Wow.
I'd assume that like many of us, he knows the name, but wouldn't recognize the face, music, or be familiar with his background. Particularly a non-Canadian artist.

I listen to the radio enough ... and offhand, I couldn't name a song of his. Though I suspect I'd recognize stuff - but I guess not once it's stopped me and made me go "Who is that" - which frequently happens, I'm often Googling stuff to see what I'm listening to. He certainly doesn't seem to have the prominence in my mind of other artists I would recognize the music, such as Drake or Kardinal Offishall.

Yes, I see his name in the media. But not in terms of his music, but in terms of various publicity stunts. And if that's many people's primary exposure to him - the reaction is is not surprising.

Surely Drake or Kardinal Offishall - both of which actually seem to be interested in Toronto - would be far better choices.

As far as Pitbull ... I think I heard mention of him a few years ago once or twice. I think people aren't reacting to that, simply out of ignorance.

The Pan Am Games Have Been an Exercise in Gross Public Overspending
But considering that the Games are a big hit with influential folks in Toronto, there's not nearly as much criticism of the atrocious waste of money as there would be if, say, Toronto Community Housing was found to have greatly overspent.
[...]
Interestingly, Torontonians will moan and groan if a Councillor spends, say, $5,000 on a trip or goes over their office budget a little, but people have no comprehension of the waste involved when we get into spending $2.5-billion.

Even though the Games are glossy and exciting, they should be evaluated in terms of the real needs of the city. A report released late last year says Toronto has the highest rate of child poverty in the country, a situation its authors call "the hidden epidemic." The report says almost 30 per cent of children in the city are from low-income families, a situation that leaves them less likely to graduate from high school and more likely to be sick.

How big is $3 billion, the amount likely to be spent on the Games? Well, the entire budget of the city of Toronto, with its 2.615-million people, is $11.5-billion for an entire year. Are here are some categories that desperately need extra funding: Children services receives $424-million. The entire budget to run public transit, one of the largest items desperately in need of more funding, is now $1.8-billion. The budget for under-funded public health is $251-million.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/nick-fillmore/pan-ams-overspending-bill_b_7819620.html

I mused on Twitter that it has been a while since there was an approval rating released for Tory. Someone replied that the whole Kanye thing really boosted his popularity. I had figured that after the Gardiner East and carding issues, it would have been lower.

Will John Tory follow Rob Ford's lead in upcoming labour talks?
Now Tory is in the mayor’s chair and facing his first encounter with city workers in what will be one of the defining aspects of his first term and likely a key determination in whether or not he gets a second.

But how will Tory handle bargaining? It isn’t clear yet. The Toronto Sun asked the mayor’s office three questions this week:

• What is the mayor hoping to achieve from contract negotiations?
  • Does he support repeating the aggressive strategy the city took in 2012?
  • Is he committed to avoiding a garbage strike next year?
In response, Tory’s spokesman Amanda Galbraith offered a one sentence answer:

“The city will enter into negotiations to ensure we get the best value for taxpayer dollars,” Galbraith said in an e-mail late Friday.
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/18/will-john-tory-follow-rob-fords-lead-in-upcoming-labour-talks

The Toronto Sun may want John Tory to fail.

Hmmm... sarcasm. Anyway, The Sun for the most part believes Tory has already failed, and robbed Toronto from the Fords, the only people capable of "looking out for the taxpayer".

I still find it amusing that the Sun endorsed Tory, but turned on him rather quickly. Of course, he doesn't create the drama that sells papers like Rob and Doug did.

Back