News   Jul 16, 2024
 147     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 293     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Jude MacDonald @judemacdonald
When @JohnTory announced @FrancesNunziata as Speaker, I was 1 of a few critics of last admin to argue it was a smart idea. Glad I was right!

A lot of people weren't convinced of Tory's decision, but she has really impressed me.

Ever heard of the buck stops here? It was his job to find out as the chief magistrate instead of complaining about it after the fact. And yes, if you want to raise the issue of responsibility - Ford put Stintz forward for the job. If he find the portfolio so important, perhaps he should have sat on the board instead?

AoD
But these other councillor cannot say or pretend to be surprised with the overruns on the Spadina extension, Thats what i am trying to say and i thought I was clear on that.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/02/tory-scolds-councillors-tardiness

TORONTO - He’s a little bit mayor and a little bit hall monitor.

John Tory urged councillors Thursday to actually show up on time for meetings at City Hall.

“It says that the meeting starts at 9:30 a.m. and I guess some practice has developed whereby we wait 15 minutes for people to come here and form a quorum,” the mayor told council at the start of Day 3 of this month’s council meeting.

“I would have thought we could do better than to have a quorum at 9:45 a.m. and sometimes we scrape that up, people come after that. I’d like you to sort of see if we could change our practice in that regard and start at 9:30 a.m. and have a quorum here at 9:30 a.m.”

He then told councillors that if they didn’t finish the agenda on Thursday then they should come back on Monday. City Hall is closed on the Monday following Easter Sunday because it is a holiday for city staff.

“Most other people are working that day,” Tory told council. “If we don’t get our business done (Thursday), we should come back here Monday.”

Hours after Tory’s Easter warning, council ended up wrapping up its agenda Thursday evening.

Tory told reporters he was “serious” about meetings starting on time at 9:30 a.m. and about working on Easter Monday.

“I knew it was a holiday when I said that — that was the point,” Tory said.

“Everybody else is working that day in the city pretty much and if we didn’t finish our business because we couldn’t be productive enough to finish in three days, then come back on Monday and give up the holiday.”

Since coming to City Hall last December, Tory has been trying to make the council chamber less of what he calls an “unproductive environment.”

“I thought (Wednesday) was an example where there were probably four or five hours just wasted on stuff that was sort of interesting maybe to a few people but it really wasn’t advancing the public interest,” Tory said.

Speaker Frances Nunziata urged councillors to show up promptly for council and committee meetings.

“If everyone counts on others to make quorum then no one hurries,” Nunziata told council.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/02/tory-scolds-councillors-tardiness

TORONTO - He’s a little bit mayor and a little bit hall monitor.

John Tory urged councillors Thursday to actually show up on time for meetings at City Hall.

“It says that the meeting starts at 9:30 a.m. and I guess some practice has developed whereby we wait 15 minutes for people to come here and form a quorum,” the mayor told council at the start of Day 3 of this month’s council meeting.

“I would have thought we could do better than to have a quorum at 9:45 a.m. and sometimes we scrape that up, people come after that. I’d like you to sort of see if we could change our practice in that regard and start at 9:30 a.m. and have a quorum here at 9:30 a.m.”

He then told councillors that if they didn’t finish the agenda on Thursday then they should come back on Monday. City Hall is closed on the Monday following Easter Sunday because it is a holiday for city staff.

“Most other people are working that day,” Tory told council. “If we don’t get our business done (Thursday), we should come back here Monday.”

Hours after Tory’s Easter warning, council ended up wrapping up its agenda Thursday evening.

Tory told reporters he was “serious” about meetings starting on time at 9:30 a.m. and about working on Easter Monday.

“I knew it was a holiday when I said that — that was the point,” Tory said.

“Everybody else is working that day in the city pretty much and if we didn’t finish our business because we couldn’t be productive enough to finish in three days, then come back on Monday and give up the holiday.”

Since coming to City Hall last December, Tory has been trying to make the council chamber less of what he calls an “unproductive environment.”

“I thought (Wednesday) was an example where there were probably four or five hours just wasted on stuff that was sort of interesting maybe to a few people but it really wasn’t advancing the public interest,” Tory said.

Speaker Frances Nunziata urged councillors to show up promptly for council and committee meetings.

“If everyone counts on others to make quorum then no one hurries,” Nunziata told council.

John Tory is known for arriving at City Hall before 7 AM. That means he is at his desk for 2 hours before the scheduled meeting, to read reports and make calls. With maybe 30 minutes for a washroom break or casual talk with staff & councillors, he would be ready to go at 9:30 AM.

I like that. It's a simple enough thing to show up on time. Of course, if we required such basic standards of politicians, Rob Ford would have been justly fired years ago.

Does anyone else think J Tory is ready to make changes to the Exec? I'm thinking at least two at committee chair level probably by June. I can see Palacio being removed as L&S chair in favour of Matlow and Shiner ousted at P&GM with KW-T taking the chair....also I think that FDG as at large can see the writing on the wall with possibly one of J Tory's proteges (Burnside, Carmichael Greb or DiCiano) moving up...
Another thought... How much longer is DMW going to hold the Deputy Mayor title (there are another three to choose from)...I'm inclined to think not much considering the slapdown he receive by Council over his L&S Taxi amendment. I'm pretty sure that was a file J Tory handed off to DMW to sheppard thru, it doesn't look good when the Deputy can't get an amendment passed...Just think last term the heavy lifting was done by Holyday for close to three years and most everything he brought forward on behalf of R Ford passed because Holyday's name was first and foremost...

Last edited:
Came across a bit of an anomoly while I was searching the Toronto Elections site
2003 Total electors....1,825,139
2014 Total electors....1,813,915
Strange considering how it is being shouted from the rooftops that Toronto is growing by leaps and bounds.
Out of curiousity I decided to try to figure out where the shrinkage was so I calculated by using Community Council boundries
Here is what I found
Etobicoke/York shrank 2003 to 2014 by 2,470
Scarborough shrank 2003 to 2014 by 5,999
North York shrank 2003 to 2014 by 26,499
The only one to grow 2003 to 2014 was Toronto/East York 18,635
Seems to me the 'burbs particularly NY hold much too big stick based on population shift....

Last edited:
Came across a bit of an anomaly while I was searching the Toronto Elections site
2003 Total electors....1,825,139
2014 Total electors....1,813,915
Strange considering how it is being shouted from the rooftops that Toronto is growing by leaps and bounds.
Out of curiousity I decided to try to figure out where the shrinkage was so I calculated by using Community Council boundries
Here is what I found
Etobicoke/York shrank 2003 to 2014 by 2,470
Scarborough shrank 2003 to 2014 by 5,999
North York shrank 2003 to 2014 by 26,499
The only one to grow 2003 to 2014 was Toronto/East York 18,635
Seems to me the 'burbs particularly NY hold much too big stick based on population shift....

This 'anomoly' can be explained hand-in-hand with the significant population growth of Toronto by the following:

1) Adult Canadian citizens (electors) moving from Toronto to the 905 or other parts of Ontario/Canada
2) More immigrant non-citizens (be they permanent residents or with other status) moving to Toronto than the number of citizens moving away per #1

It is also possible that more individuals are choosing to have families in Toronto, or are having larger families, in which case the population of non-voting children may increase even if the population of electors decreases. Not sure if this is actually the case, but it is a possibility.

This 'anomoly' can be explained hand-in-hand with the significant population growth of Toronto by the following:

1) Adult Canadian citizens (electors) moving from Toronto to the 905 or other parts of Ontario/Canada
2) More immigrant non-citizens (be they permanent residents or with other status) moving to Toronto than the number of citizens moving away per #1

It is also possible that more individuals are choosing to have families in Toronto, or are having larger families, in which case the population of non-voting children may increase even if the population of electors decreases. Not sure if this is actually the case, but it is a possibility.

Another possbility is an increase in single seniors where one spouse has passed away and the surviving spouse continues to reside in the city.

Really the anomoly is between the 2003...1,825,139 and 2006...1,521,121
A 304,018 drop in total electors. You'd think there would be a total population shrinkage however that is not the case as noted by census
1996...2,385,415 2001...2,481,510 2006...2,503,345 2011...2,615,090

Doesn't it make you think of M. Harris et al rubbing their fingertips together a` la Mr. Burns (Simpson's reference) ecstatic that" My plan is working" add evil cackle here.

The movers and shakers at the Clamshell as it stands today
Aff Housing Chair...Bailao... Vice...Di Ciano
Aud Chair...Lee... Holyday
BoHealth...Mihevc... Doucette
Budget...Crawford...Campbell
Civic App'ts...DMW...Lee
CD&R...Pasternak...Fletcher
Eco Dev...Thompson...Kelly
GM...Ainslie...Davis
L&S...Palacio...Karygiannis
P&E...Berardinetti...Layton
P&GM...Shiner...DiCiano