News   Jul 16, 2024
 156     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 301     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 18s19 seconds ago
After almost an hour debate, council votes 30 to 13 to deal with 2 items as 1 item #TOpoli

I don't think it matters who is mayor. Council will always be a mess.

Norm Kelly @norm · 3m 3 minutes ago
Council so far: Blah Blah Blah. Blah Blah Blah. Blah Blah Blah. #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
Council rejects Cllr Joe Mihevc's motion to tender out Spadina subway project management job. Vote is 15 to 28 #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
Council gives the green light to the $150-million Spadina subway fix. Vote is 40 to 3 #TOpoli

Just give me the LRT already...

Matt Elliott @GraphicMatt
Council votes 34-9 on Perks amendment to look at making in-house management better, in addition to P3-type options.

Jonathan Goldsbie @goldsbie
Mihevc's motion to strike Angela Kennedy's name and her replace her with the TDSB's Chris Glover CARRIES 20-17.

This is a good thing!

Last edited:
I don't think it matters who is mayor. Council will always be a mess.

Focusing on how long council takes to get through debating issues always struck me as similar to focusing on how much we spend to water plants at city hall - who cares? Is it better to spend too much time or not enough time on debating issues? Does it really matter if it takes council 1 day or 5 days to get through the docket?

What we should be focusing on is how the city contracted Bechtel to study whether or not it would be a good idea to re-tender the remaining Vaughn work to a private company, and Bechtel responded with "Yes, it should be! And, by the way, it should go to us! And only us! and the decision should be made immediately!" And council just agreed with that 40-3....

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 37s37 seconds ago
"He appointed him!" John Tory on Rob Ford calling for TTC CEO to be fired #TOpoli
Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie 46s46 seconds ago
Tory rejects Ford's armchair quarterbacking: he's "sitting in this sort of splendid position of not being accountable for anything he says."

He is bold enough to say it.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/01/spadina-overruns-under-rob-fords-watch-colle

TTC chair Josh Colle isn't letting Rob Ford wash his hands of the Spadina subway extension cost overruns.

A day after Ford claimed he knew nothing about the project going over budget and over time, Colle said some of the blame does fall on the former mayor.

"This all happened under Rob Ford's watch - the same way the Union Station overruns did, the same way that Nathan Phillips Square did, the same way the Leslie Barns did," Colle said Wednesday.

For several days, Ford has been calling for a housecleaning at the TTC in the wake of the Spadina project including TTC CEO Andy Byford - the same transit boss hired during Ford's term when TTC general manager Gary Webster was ousted.

"For him to come and cast those aspersions I find a bit rich," Colle said. "This has all happened while he was mayor.

"My job as the chair of this commission is to get this back on track."

Byford confirmed he has kept the TTC board informed about the extension "including specific briefings relating to contractor issues within the past year.

"My publicly available monthly CEO report includes a standing item relating to TYSSE and has included a warning that the schedule and budget are at risk and that I had instructed a series of reviews to quantify impact," Byford told the Sun.

"A copy of my CEO report is sent to all Councillors, including the Mayor, and this has happened throughout my tenure as CEO."

On Tuesday, Ford claimed no one informed him about problems with the extension when he was mayor.

"Trust me, if I would have known about this, I would have been all over it," he said.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/01/spadina-overruns-under-rob-fords-watch-colle

TTC chair Josh Colle isn't letting Rob Ford wash his hands of the Spadina subway extension cost overruns.

A day after Ford claimed he knew nothing about the project going over budget and over time, Colle said some of the blame does fall on the former mayor.

"This all happened under Rob Ford's watch - the same way the Union Station overruns did, the same way that Nathan Phillips Square did, the same way the Leslie Barns did," Colle said Wednesday.

For several days, Ford has been calling for a housecleaning at the TTC in the wake of the Spadina project including TTC CEO Andy Byford - the same transit boss hired during Ford's term when TTC general manager Gary Webster was ousted.

"For him to come and cast those aspersions I find a bit rich," Colle said. "This has all happened while he was mayor.

"My job as the chair of this commission is to get this back on track."

Byford confirmed he has kept the TTC board informed about the extension "including specific briefings relating to contractor issues within the past year.

"My publicly available monthly CEO report includes a standing item relating to TYSSE and has included a warning that the schedule and budget are at risk and that I had instructed a series of reviews to quantify impact," Byford told the Sun.

"A copy of my CEO report is sent to all Councillors, including the Mayor, and this has happened throughout my tenure as CEO."

On Tuesday, Ford claimed no one informed him about problems with the extension when he was mayor.

"Trust me, if I would have known about this, I would have been all over it," he said.

So what were the other councillors doing since Byford informed them in his report/ Now everyone pretends they had no idea. And was Stinz not head of the TTC board? Where is her responsibility over this?

So what were the other councillors doing since Byford informed them in his report/ Now everyone pretends they had no idea. And was Stinz not head of the TTC board? Where is her responsibility over this?

Ever heard of the buck stops here? It was his job to find out as the chief magistrate instead of complaining about it after the fact. And yes, if you want to raise the issue of responsibility - Ford put Stintz forward for the job. If he find the portfolio so important, perhaps he should have sat on the board instead?

AoD

Last edited:
Don Peat
@reporterdonpeat
"I'm not even sure whether I find it laughable or I just find it fascinating" John Tory on Rob Ford calling for firing of #TTC CEO #TOpoli

I would have said more.

Ever heard of the buck stops here? It was his job to find out as the chief magistrate instead of complaining about it after the fact. And yes, if you want to raise the issue of responsibility - Ford put Stintz forward for the job. If he find the portfolio so important, perhaps he should have sat on the board instead?

AoD

I guess its like in the Provincial and Federal government where the Minster is not blamed for anything and it is the Premier and PM that resigns over every scandal. :)

I guess its like in the Provincial and Federal government where the Minster is not blamed for anything and it is the Premier and PM that resigns over every scandal. :)

Except under the ministerial system "technically" the minister is responsible for their portfolio (so called "Ministerial Responsibility"). The city doesn't come close to operating in such a manner. Besides the mayor in question pride himself on rooting out waste and rants on and on about cost overruns regardless of responsibility - for him to feign ignorance when he would calls for others to fall on said sword is hypocrisy. Besides, he claimed to have heard rumours of cost overruns - why was there no attempt to confirm said rumors during his term when the stakes are that much higher than 30k/a council catering?

AoD

Last edited:

Back