News   Jul 30, 2024
 944     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 652     0 

Lost Toronto

Even if we wanted to rebuild these old structures we're too poor of a city to get the job done. We should just pay the workers that built the new Hindu temple out in Brampton mininum wage to bring these buildings back.

Especially at night, I think it looks terrific:

It is a shame that the towers couldn't have been built elsewhere, but the TD Centre is an excellent architectural centre. Look at the warmth in the orange/brown materials. The provincial flags are there for the national significance, visible not only to those inside. There a nice human touch.

A good first rebuild would be Walnut Hall, because no building has replaced it yet to the best of my knowledge.

I suppose people like One King West because it didn't involve demolishing the wonderfully opulent Dominion Bank Building. At least the Trinity College's new building topped their old one.

Yeah, after walking by it I gain more appreciation seeing the buildings up close and in context. There's no doubt it's a good thing to have a complex like the TD Centre, one of Mies greatest accomplishments. Just like you said, it would've been better if it could've been elsewhere. Oh well, I guess I can be thankful that corner wasn't replaced by another FCP.

Not necessarily--though it's not necessarily worse, either. And being at a whole new location means it doesn't quite count...

It's a toss up.

Trinity College between 1885-1895
f1478_it0029.jpg

Trinity College, University of Toronto, 1929
f1231_it0002.jpg

And as you can see, the new Trinity is basically (and deliberately) a rockier replica of the original...

Even if we wanted to rebuild these old structures we're too poor of a city to get the job done. We should just pay the workers that built the new Hindu temple out in Brampton mininum wage to bring these buildings back.
Do you ever wonder why people ignore all your posts? What the heck is that supposed to mean? Moreover, the temple you are likely referring to is in Rexdale (Toronto).

The Victorians also tore down plenty of fine Victorian buildings.

The present ( 1885 ) Bank of Montreal building at Yonge and Front replaced an earlier ( 1845 ) Bank of Montreal building on that site, designed by architect Kivas Tully who designed the first Trinity College.

And on the south west corner of Yonge and Front Kivas Tully also designed the Custom House ( also 1845 ) which was replaced in 1873 by a building that survived until 1919.

http://ve.tpl.toronto.on.ca/TPM/e2-37.html

That first Trinity College was a beauty. Anyone know what it was made of? Unlike the current one with its rough stoney exterior, it looks very much like a college you'd find in Oxford or Cambridge.

1602171-Kings-College-0.jpg

King's College, Cambridge University

Darkstar: If you click on the link in my last post, you'll see a small image with three buildings in the top left-hand corner. Click on that and the image expands - the largest photo ( taken about 1880 ) shows Tully's 1845 Bank of Montreal building and, across the road to the left of it, the ornate 1876 Custom House that had already replaced Tully's 1845 Custom House building. The smallest of the three photographs is also of the 1845 Bank of Montreal.

That first Trinity College was a beauty. Anyone know what it was made of? Unlike the current one with its rough stoney exterior, it looks very much like a college you'd find in Oxford or Cambridge.

It was brick, the great yellow stuff I believe. I was going to admonish adma for not thinking the newer Trinity is the better building, but when I was looking for images of the two - I kinda thought the older one was more interesting, too.

The Victorians also tore down plenty of fine Victorian buildings.

The present ( 1885 ) Bank of Montreal building at Yonge and Front replaced an earlier ( 1845 ) Bank of Montreal building on that site, designed by architect Kivas Tully who designed the first Trinity College.

Unless I'm wrong, I recall reading it's because they wanted a much grander building to match their aspirations, or something to that extent.

Here's a nice shot of the 8th Post Office on Toronto Street.

S_1-2327.jpg

I can't believe they tore it down...especially for what's there now.

Back