News   Jul 30, 2024
 760     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 628     0 

Lost Toronto

7wib5tt.jpg

Spadina Avenue and (former) Knox College Not posted.
(Bank or post office is still around.)

No it isn't. It's where the c1960-looking CIBC is today.

6tkt8d3.jpg

Yonge Street Dock. No date.
(Gone. The Toronto Board of Trade Building, the red building near the centre of the image; the unknown beige-coloured building to its right; and those amazing warf-side warehouses are very sorely missed. What a shame.)

The "unknown beige-coloured building" is still around: it's the Traders Bank Building of 1905-6, by some subjective definitions the "first skyscraper" in Toronto, it was certainly the first true high-rise Beaux-Arts elevator-driven office building. (Within a decade, it was overshadowed by its King/Yonge neighbours; this rare early shot shows it as dominatingly "modern" as the TD tower was in 1967, in a manner of speaking.)

The "unknown beige-coloured building" is still around: it's the Traders Bank Building of 1905-6, by some subjective definitions the "first skyscraper" in Toronto, it was certainly the first true high-rise Beaux-Arts elevator-driven office building. (Within a decade, it was overshadowed by its King/Yonge neighbours; this rare early shot shows it as dominatingly "modern" as the TD tower was in 1967, in a manner of speaking.)

No, I'm talking about the building just to the right of the Traders Bank Building, where the Gooderham flat-iron and adjacent buildings (now destroyed) ought to be. Perhaps that's what it is but coloured incorrectly for the postcard. Oh, and thanks for the correction about the bank.

Very interesting collection, condovo. I'm not sure what the biggest tragedy was for Toronto but for me the loss of King West as Toronto's grand street is up there.
...along with most of Toronto St, the Eighth Post Office at its terminus on Adelaide, and the Toronto Board of Trade Building at Yonge and Front. But I do think the losses in the King and Bay area represent this city's greatest heritage tragedy. Afterall, to take Paris as an example, I.M. Pei's pyramid was built next to the Louvre, not in place of it. Perhaps, one day, we'll be able to pull a 'Dresden' and re-construct some of these gems. But first we'll have to wait until 'de-construct' falls out of vogue with the chattering classes.

Here are some more of my favourite "Lost Toronto" images:

Toronto Street
f1244_it1176.jpg

Board of Trade Building
f1568_it0217.jpg

f1244_it7189.jpg

Toronto Star Building
f1257_s1057_it2037.jpg

Queen and Bay
s0071_it1971.jpg

Old Union Station
f1231_it0861.jpg

Trinity College
f1498_it0011.jpg

Jarvis St
f1244_it7097.jpg

Yonge and King
f1244_it1113.jpg

Bay St
f1244_it1116.jpg

Bay St again...
s0071_it3589.jpg

Yonge St
s0071_it3631.jpg

Yonge St again...
s0071_it3635.jpg

Aerial views
f1231_it0930.jpg

f1231_it0971.jpg

f1231_it0987.jpg

f1244_it1951.jpg

f1244_it10035.jpg

s0372_ss0041_it0219.jpg

Toronto Police
f1244_it1945.jpg

Its a shame that building between the Hockey Hall of Fame and BCE Place is no longer there. It really was quite a beauty. Shame its been replaced by a walkway and parking garage entrance.

What always amazes me is how busy the streets are in every photograph.

But always, remember the qualifier, the same one that goes for the Board of Trade: it was replaced by a parking lot, which was in its turn replaced some time later by said walkway and garage entrance. BCE's no villain in this; circa 1960 attitudes t/w "Victorian" buildings were. Next to spanking new O'Keefe, they really *did* seem like cruddy and useless old hulks--at least to the pompous grandaddies of vultur/investor...

Toronto is a funny city: it tries to be like NYC yet as these photos demonstrate: Toronto looked more like NYC in 1925 than it does in 2007!

Yes, as an Urbandreamer, I too fantasize about pulling a Dresden. If we can't rebuild these Victorian fantasies within Toronto, how about a cheaper but still retain the facade version in a newurbanistic town yet to be built---north of Georgetown in 2050-2080?

It's shocking that within my parents lifetime Toronto destroyed so much of its heritage. My father hates Toronto now--the destruction of buildings he remembers as late as 1970 sickens him. Even today, buildings are coming down for crappy replacements.

Victorians may be dissed for being uptight WASPS but they sure knew how to build a city!

Only if you're nostalgic for The Ward, a slum that was replaced by New City Hall, or believe that we'd be better off without one of the best group of buildings ( the TD Centre ) by one of the great architects, I suppose.

With the exception of the Registry Building, sure New City Hall didn't replace anything noteworthy. However, I'd much rather have a Montreal-esque preserved financial district, particularly the buildings along King by Yonge to Bay. Some of Toronto's finest blocks were razed, and I'm sure at the very least they could've incorporated more elements of the original buildings during the construction/destruction of the 60s/70s. Especially the TD Bank building at the corner of King/Bay, or the Old Star Building.

And yes, say what you might, I've never been amazed by the TD Centre. It's too cold and sterile, and while I don't mind it overall, it doesn't impress me as much as "it should". I'd much rather have the block of buildings it destroyed still intact.

With the exception of the Registry Building, sure New City Hall didn't replace anything noteworthy. However, I'd much rather have a Montreal-esque preserved financial district, particularly the buildings along King by Yonge to Bay. Some of Toronto's finest blocks were razed, and I'm sure at the very least they could've incorporated more elements of the original buildings during the construction/destruction of the 60s/70s. Especially the TD Bank building at the corner of King/Bay, or the Old Star Building.

And yes, say what you might, I've never been amazed by the TD Centre. It's too cold and sterile, and while I don't mind it overall, it doesn't impress me as much as "it should". I'd much rather have the block of buildings it destroyed still intact.

Especially at night, I think it looks terrific:

It is a shame that the towers couldn't have been built elsewhere, but the TD Centre is an excellent architectural centre. Look at the warmth in the orange/brown materials. The provincial flags are there for the national significance, visible not only to those inside. There a nice human touch.

A good first rebuild would be Walnut Hall, because no building has replaced it yet to the best of my knowledge.

I suppose people like One King West because it didn't involve demolishing the wonderfully opulent Dominion Bank Building. At least the Trinity College's new building topped their old one.

With suits to match every shade of yellow-belly? (North-West corner of Yonge & Dundas, 1950)

s0574_fl0013_id49322.jpg

Back