552     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 619     1 

Looking for a Better TV Service

Nicmos

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi all,

We currently subscribe to Rogers Cable (basic extended package) but since we have our phones and Internet service through Bell we've been thinking that perhaps we might move to Bell TV and get a better deal. Also our package includes a lot of stations offering reality TV which is the least watched in our house.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has Bell TV and what they think of the calibre of their package. We've never had satellite TV but find with Rogers cable the reception on some channels is less than desirable.

Thanks in advance.

I am happy with Bell TV, can't recall the last time there was an issue with signal reception and I think the packages are decent with a good amount of channels, I don't know if other providers have this but they also have a searchable online program guide.

I'm having nothing but trouble with Rogers cable with regards to reception issues and since they sent out a faulty firmware update to the 8300HD receivers in late October which they still haven't corrected. I'm also seriously considering Bell so I'm curious about feedback. One thing I don't like is that I have to lock into a 2 year contract but it might be worth it to get rid of my last Rogers service as long as Bell has quality HD and reliable reception.

Bell can be slightly cheaper than Rogers and I think has a far better on-screen menu and channel-layout. However, Rogers does offer more channels, especially in HD (despite what Bell says).

At the end of the day, Bell's channel packaging is horrendous and basically forces you to get an insane amount of channels in order to get the few you really want. It's no different than Rogers that way.

Bell has started a test-case to offer "a la carte" channels to their Quebec customers, but no word yet on when this will be coming to Ontario.

Has anyone on the board gone to HDTV antennae? Such as something through these guys. I've been considering it.

I've tested it, there's a thread on it from about 6-8 months ago under "General Discussions". I have an unobstructed, 24th floor view south and I'm about a mile from the CN tower, I got absolutely stunning HD reception on Toronto & Buffalo stations though on bad weather days I'm sure that wouldn't be the case. It's the PVR that I need so an antennae doesn't quite cut it.
I miss those years of "testing" DirecTV & Dishnet satellite TV with TIVO receivers :rolleyes:

My dad got one of them. First he built his own; got a fair amount of channels but he thought he could do better. Now there's a pretty big antenna on the roof and he gets quite a few more. This is out in Mississauga by Applewood Heights, so it's high-ish ground with not much blocking the way of the signal. He swears the local channels come in clearer than they ever did via Rogers' HD service.

I also use Rogers and am very disappointed with their service especially the internet service. Bell has fibe coming out but won't be in my area until 2012. I'm going to switch as soon as it arrives.

You might want to check out Fibe TV. For me Bell satellite was a non-starter, because I didn't want a satellite dish. However, Bell now has Fibre to the node (FTTN), with which they provide FibeTV and Fibe internet access. I currently have Fibe 25 service which gives me 25 Mbps down and 7 Mbps upload, made possible by the remote node 350 metres from my house. This is enough bandwidth to provide FibeTV.

Ironically though, I'll may switch back to cable internet, because it's cheaper, and I am already entrenched with Rogers cable as I own 2 Rogers PVRs.

Has anyone on the board gone to HDTV antennae? Such as something through these guys. I've been considering it.
It'd take a massive antenna which I didn't feel like trying. I have an obstructed view of the lake, and with a small antenna it was spotty reception on a good day.

I just switched to Bell Fibe. We did have Bell Entertainment but we had to switch or our rates would double. So now I'm getting less choice for more money. Great. I wasn't impressed with their package choice; you get basic and then you either get 3 or 7 add-on themes. I would have liked 4 or 5; 7 was way too much. In general, I hate the stupid theme pack idea, I'd much prefer a la carte. We have problems with the system shutting down and then restarting; it happens to other people in our building so I know it's not our tv or anything. The only good thing was that I didn't lose my saved PVR programs in the switch.

We'll be moving soon and I've heard that there are issues with Bell in the new building because of deals with Rogers or something, so we may end up with Rogers. What's the deal with their on-demand service or whatever it is? I seldom watch live tv now that I have a PVR; I don't want to give it up!

Wow, I'm certainly getting my moneys worth from my original question. I'm going to be dumb now and ask what folks are referring to when mentioning PVR.

Jason, we're on Queen's Quay. They just switched us a week or two ago.

Nicmos, I think it's programmable video recorder or something like that ... commonly known as TiVO in the US. It automatically programs the shows I want so I don't miss an episode and I can watch what I want, when I want ... and skip through all the commercials :)

Wow, I'm certainly getting my moneys worth from my original question. I'm going to be dumb now and ask what folks are referring to when mentioning PVR.

There's no dumb question. A PVR as it used to be known (or is still known by many people) means "Personal Video Recorder", lately it's changed to DVR, "Digital Video Recorder" - same thing, different name. This is a cable or satellite receiver which has a built-in hard drive so that you can record shows/movies in standard definition or high definition with a user-friendly interface that appears on your TV screen (through the PVR/DVR) and can be programmed to record shows up to two weeks in advance. The shows are recorded onto the hard drive for easy playback for when you have the time to watch them which offers a huge advantage over a VCR because there is no degradation in picture or sound quality so the picture and sound look and sound as good as it did during the original broadcast, no tapes involved plus it's so easy to use any dummy can do it. Depending on the hard drive size in the unit (there are two sizes for the Rogers DVR's) you can record dozens of hours of standard definition shows/movies and about 20 hours of high definition content. If your really obsessive (like me) you can buy a "DVR expander" that plugs into the back of the DVR. A DVR expander is essentially a specialized external hard drive, usually in 500MB or 1TB flavours which adds hundreds of hours of space for programming/archiving favorate TV shows & movies.
Once you get one it's hard not to have one!

Benefits of a DVR:

1) Record anytime.
2) Record at the same time you're watching. Start recording at 7:00, but start watching at 7:15, and then skip all the commercials.
3) Pause "live" TV.
4) Recurrent recordings on an ongoing basis.
5) Keyword searches in some models.
6) Sharing around the house for some models.
7) Some are programmable over the internet, or from your iPhone, so you can record that hockey game while you're at the movies.
Etc.

Back