News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

King West to be the next Yorkville? TIFF to make it go upscale?

This was already discussed two pages ago. This exact question. The one you are asking right now two pages later...

Better late than ever I guess. Is there some rule limiting discussion like this?

But honestly though, does King West have any clothes stores inbetween Spadina and University Avenue? I know there are some very nice restaurants. Isn't it moreso Queen Street West that has the high end retail?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the parallel at all.

But honestly though, does King West have any clothes stores inbetween Spadina and University Avenue? I know there are some very nice restaurants. Isn't it moreso Queen Street West that has the high end retail?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the parallel at all.

If you had bothered to read the discussion that already took place, you would have realized that high end retail is not limited to clothing.

And, to answer your question: no.

The one odd store I find on King West (between Spandia/University) that is clothing retail is the mountain equipment co-op store.. probably couldn't find space on Queen West...

and obviously not high end, just a bit out of place in that particular strip of the entertainment district.

That small strip of King is a niche for outdoor-oriented travel. MEC, Europe Bound across the street, a travel agency, and Timberland is building three stories next to M5V.

So it isn't MEC that's out of place. The whole strip is kind of an oddity.

Cynthia Findlay Antiques - located just to the east of the Princess of Wales - attracts a fairly well-heeled clientele, and she's looking forward to the Ritz and Lightbox opening. I suspect that part of King East will be a goldmine of a location for higher end retailers in a few years.

Does that antiques store still exist? That space is now occupied by "Sugar's Costume Studio" with most ungainly signage. This happened within the last few months or so.

Queen Bee Cynthia moved a few doors to the west several months ago when the declining Antique Centre closed. When it was on Queen's Quay almost a decade ago she had the largest retail space among many there, and since then most of the others have gone under - probably killed by eBay and their own marginal status.

Klaus by Nienkamper, Ital Interiors, Montauk, Bulthaup, Kiosk, all super high-end. Top of the line, in fact, and none of them are in Yorkville.

yup, all in the east side of Yonge St on King St. E around St. Lawrence Market, where there's plenty of social housing ...

In a lot of bigger cities retailers tend to cluster and this area has a lot of furniture stores, and indeed they are high-end for the most part. Take a stroll in Roche Bobois and tell me otherwise.

In a lot of bigger cities retailers tend to cluster and this area has a lot of furniture stores, and indeed they are high-end for the most part. Take a stroll in Roche Bobois and tell me otherwise.

no kidding ... i had a heartattack when i saw the price tag for a sofa ... $25,000 :eek:
one too many 0's for my pocket book

bullfrog has recently opened in the area too at Sherbourne/Adelaide.

That small strip of King is a niche for outdoor-oriented travel. MEC, Europe Bound across the street, a travel agency, and Timberland is building three stories next to M5V.

So it isn't MEC that's out of place. The whole strip is kind of an oddity.

Where is Timberland going?

Back